Was it worth it!

Hi

I passed my class 2 in february.

Last week i passed my class 1.

Everyone amazed when i say agencies dont want me…companies dont want me…so I stuck my CV on a few agencies of my old trade (design draughtsman) and guess what 4 calls next day.

Starting on over twice i would get on the lorries…yes i know i have experience as ive done it for 15 years now…but should i have to beg to get fairly poor money driving…weres all the driver shortages now…

Yes i turned down one job …but for 5.25 hour!!!

Regards

John

P.S

Anyone from the durham area after a driver who passed his class 1 with only 2 minor points…

1st of all congratulations on passing your t C+E Test :smiley: I wish I had :frowning:

Was it worth it■■? depends really on what you want to do for a living… there are jobs out there…I havent passed my class 1 yet BUT I already have an assesment drive lined up for a company when I do ( I just called every company I could think of, took numbers of trucks etc ) & that is for better money than I earn now as a Diesinker, Class C money I have to admit isnt the best… but its a good way of gaining that experience & getting a foot in the door…( + extra Beer money :laughing: )

At the end of the day, the biggest plus is that you have got the licences & can choose wether or not to use them… and you’ll always have them as a saftey net if you do ever lose your job…

Class C money I have to admit isnt the best

It all depends on what you do, I was talking to a class 1 driver a month or two back, driving bulk tanks for a Dutch company. My hourly rate was more (not much) than his for driving Class 2 with Hiab. The only way he was better off was he got night out money, whereas I have a day cab and go home to bed.

We both agreed that I was probably better off than he was.

point taken 8wheels & to be fair on the Jobcenter website I have seen this last month a couple of class C driver jobs over £9.00 ph, There was even 1 which required a Class C driver to train as scaffolder £9.35 Plus £50 a week attendance & time keeping allowance :open_mouth:

and I am stuck with a £6.72 ph job with extra £13 per week - somehow I don’t think I will be there for long :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It is worth looking at other jobs that you can do, as sometimes you might be surprised. I haven’t bothered to do class 1, because I have seen plenty of jobs that pay similar or less than I get on class 2.

I am not one for doing endless mile after mile (I do approx 40,000 miles / year) I’d rather spend a bit of time at different places (not RDC’s) loading and unloading.

If I get fed up with it there are still other opportunities, apparently some of the companies with the concrete pumps pay good money. Also I saw a 10 wheeler rigid on STGO plates, probably a few quid there.

All that said, I won’t rule out doing class 1 it’s just I don’t find the need to splash the extra cash.

Well apart from letting my 6 year old down…what do i do…

Spoke to my friend hes contracting at my old trade (speaking that my new one is HGV) and hes on £18 hour!

Should i see the company paying 5.25 and see if any jobs again? At least they were happy for son to go away with me even overnight…Or just keep trying others…

Really want to get in a truck and see for my self…

I hope you can understand were i’m coming from? I retrained at my expense after leaving my old trade and spent 2 years on incapacity benefit.

Regards

John

Been talking to wife…

she say says tell all the wagon comapnies to stick there wagons up there arses…

■■■■ money…■■■■■■■ at side of road…so hree i am rang the agency and told him i wiill take another office job cos im ■■■■■■ off with theoldaged ■■■■ that is lorry driving,…

dont worry wont login again…go get some in polish drivers ■■■■■■■ [zb] industry

rot in helll

seroxatmad :laughing: :laughing: Thats more like it. You sound like a trucker already…!!! But if you want make you & yours happy take a nice truck that goes to interesting places with your family touring before the bad weather comes & then jack it in. For a lot of drivers its a way of life not a job. Keep persevering ,truckers are very helpful to new guys on the road as long as you are honest & tell them its your first time.

seroxatmad:
dont worry wont login again…go get some in polish drivers [zb] [zb] industry

rot in helll

ooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i was lucky pushed and pushed for my job at coop kept ringing every couple of months got in there couple of years ago… most weeks are 4 days and im on 23982 a year take home fiver short of 350 a week and id only had year experience there are jobs out there u just got to look for them …
coop halesowen by way frozen food to nationwide coop stores

seroxatmad:
Been talking to wife…

she say says tell all the wagon comapnies to stick there wagons up there arses…

[zb] money…[zb] at side of road…so hree i am rang the agency and told him i wiill take another office job cos im [zb] off with theoldaged [zb] that is lorry driving,…

dont worry wont login again…go get some in polish drivers [zb] shti industry

rot in helll

Don’t fancy his chances getting a job in an office, with them English skills! :smiley:

stvme2519:
i was lucky pushed and pushed for my job at coop kept ringing every couple of months got in there couple of years ago… most weeks are 4 days and im on 23982 a year take home fiver short of 350 a week and id only had year experience there are jobs out there u just got to look for them …
coop halesowen by way frozen food to nationwide coop stores

Can’t grumble at that for a 4 day week. Is that Class 2 or Class 1 stvme2519?

it does have to be said that in this indusrty experience is everything and many insurance companies do require 2yrs minimum. have said that to get you foot in the door you do somtimes have to take the crap paying jobs to get started the point is it gets you that all important experience

if you want are coming into this job to get rich leave now and forget about it youll never be happy there are guys earning 35k plus ayear but these jobs are very few and far between and NEVER advrtised or you will never see your bed and will be knackered in 5 years time.

if its sounds harsh sorry but haulage is beast of its own and totally unlike any other industry around sorry but thats the way it is

Well Ive just done a trip to glasgow from durham on sat starting at 2am.

Tuesday night I stated at 4:45pm and done 2 trip to leeds from durham.

Its not full time but its 7.80 hour and gaining experience! This experience is only by saying its my first trips out and having to ask how do i open the side curtains!

Managed to reverse onto a dock other morning - 3am very tired. It took 3 attempts but dont feel so worried when i get my next trip.

Regards

John

P.S thanks to permtemps and MFI…for taking on newly trained drivers.

8wheels:

Class C money I have to admit isnt the best

It all depends on what you do, I was talking to a class 1 driver a month or two back, driving bulk tanks for a Dutch company. My hourly rate was more (not much) than his for driving Class 2 with Hiab. The only way he was better off was he got night out money, whereas I have a day cab and go home to bed.

We both agreed that I was probably better off than he was.

Interesting. Can you remember the company he worked for?

It sounds like H & S at those rates

had a call from jobsworth weekend before last (after god knows how many weeks of calling them asking for class 2 weekend work !!) asking me to go in to the co-op halesowen i said no probs - ten mins later they call back "sorry can’t send you in the co-op as you ain’t had your licence two years !!! (only passed 4 months ago ) :smiling_imp:

they getting strict on it now with agency drivers because of amount of damages caused at stores
if your lokking for work try this number 01215537755 ask fro malcolm or knowle used to be sms best connection now or try 01384250417 ask for wayne at back up both of those agencies will be bang on

class 2 markymark class 1 drivers on about 60 quid week more night class 1 drivers are on a right good wedge …we going on five days soon lost a load of south region stores cause of new depot at thurrock opening but thedays are ment to be going right piece of ■■■■…

Hi

Got a call expecting my shift for saturday.

Was told the ■■■■■ in charge found out i am a new driver so even thou i drove from durham-glasgow return and 2 trips to leeds return the other night im no good!

The agency guy had made it clear from the start but some jobs worth ■■■■■ dont want me.

So what do i do now…i turned down a design job(my old trade) of 14 quid an hour becuase i dont want to be stuck in an office. Ive spend 2 grand getting this far for what…no office job or driving job now…maybe i should just find a bridge and practice my flying skills.

I guess if i was polish i would be ok?

John