WARNING reXenon Headlamps

Having just read the posting about experiences with an Actros 2544, I want to impress upon you all
Do not attempt to change Xenon lights yourself. The power these things use can KILL. They should only be fixed by someone with proper training and equipment

24 volts kill :question: :question: even at high ampage :question: :question: :question:

yes, they maybe a gas discharge bulb, so if you were to actually be able to get hold of the electrodes there may be a problem, but the electrodes are within the glass sealed envelope.

Now the spark down the HT leads on modern cars with electronic ignition can kill, but a xenon bulb?

Prepared to hold my hand up if i’m proved wrong.

Dwjinuk is right,

I used to work at a Land Rover main dealer for a short time, and it was when they lanched the latest range rover model,

These have xenon bulbs too, and if you ever looked under the bonnet then there are large warning stickers by both headlamps warning of 25,000 volts :open_mouth:

They are desgined so when they are turned on there is a large power flow from the headlamp control units to light the bulb then the power drops to normal levels, so on initial start up ther could be mega voltage at the bulb,

I have not looked at xenon on trucks yet but I would guess that there are also warning stickers on them with the same warning on,

You have been warned :laughing:

Driveroneuk:
24 volts kill :question: :question: even at high ampage :question: :question: :question:

Xenon discharge bulbs dont run off 24V, they have an inverter to power them and they run off about 25,000v.

Prepared to hold my hand up if i’m proved wrong.

Still dont see that hand yet!

That’s 25kv or kilovolts pronounce KILL-o-volts…

Anybody who’s ever taken Eletronics 101 can tell you that it’s not the voltage that kills, it’s the current.

I’m assuming that the current is no more than the 100-130W that the brightest halogen lamps had, the difference being that the old lamps were 12V at 8 or 9 amps (or 24V at 4 or 5A), this new bulb works at 25kv, but only at maybe 4 milliamps (mA). Yeah, it will give you a nasty burn, but unless you put the plug straight on your sternum, slather on some dielectric grease and turn the power on, it won’t kill you.

AlexxInNY:
But unless you put the plug straight on your sternum, slather on some dielectric grease and turn the power on, it won’t kill you.

But don’t anyone try it. It will still make your eyes light up, like Xenon bulbs :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: .
We don’t want you turning up dead, just to prove Alex wrong.

Simon:
…We don’t want you turning up dead, just to prove Alex wrong.

Well, maybe one or two of you…