wannabe trucker

just after abit of advise from the pro’s…

i was taken in by the snazzy advert for Clearstone too and all their promises, luckily i read the posts on this website before paying their crazy price for training.

I’m looking to get training for a HGV class 2 licence, can anybody recommend a decent training centre that works out cheaper than a grand?! travelling isn’t an issue if i’m gonna get my monies worth, i live around the cardiff area.

appreciate it :slight_smile:
hoppers

Most places should work out cheaper than a grand (providing you don’t need loads of training and retests at 200 quid a pop). Mine was £823 for 4 days plus test on 5th day.

Just had a look in the Yell.com

Big Wheelers South Wales Ltd
Red Dragon Driving School

Give them a call and get some prices. Don’t commit to anything just yet. I’m sure other people on site will be able to recommend somewhere local. If you can find a one-man-band then you’ll find it even cheaper as it’ll probably VAT free.

Welcome hoppers86 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Try this for some pre training tips trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23857 & Please leave a comment on the end of it once you’ve read it — thank you.

Ask how many hours you get for your money - not how many days :unamused:

ANOTHER NEWBIE wrote: “Can anybody explain the process over the forum as to what I have to do to start with so I can tick off on paper?”

LGV C (Rigid) formally Class 2:
Anyone who passes their car driving test and wants to drive a large goods vehicle will need additional training to be brought to the DSA standard. The vehicles used will also have to conform to the standards as set by the DSA.
The vehicle must conform to the following:
Boxed/curtain sided vehicles
Length 8 metres
Width 2.4 metres
8 forward gears
Tachograph
ABS as standard

Requirements:
Stage 1
Have a medical to prove you are physically fit to drive a Large Goods Vehicle using
Form D4 of the pack (obtainable from various driving schools). Please contact you’re GP or www.driversmedicals.com who can provide low-cost medical examinations.
Stage 2
Obtain your provisional licence. Having completed forms D2 & D4 send with your licence to the DVLA in the enclosed envelope, I recommended that you send it record/registered delivery. Your licence with provisional entitlement will normally be returned within 2 to 4 weeks.
Stage 3
Pass the theory test. This is carried out at local test centres and made up of two parts; Part 1 is multiple choice, 60 questions and Part 2 is hazard perception, 14 video clips.
Stage 4
Book your training course with LGV Training School. Once you have passed your theory.

Test Criteria:
Answer approximately 5 questions on basic vehicle checks.
Reverse into a marked bay.
Controlled brake test.
Drive for approximately 1 hour around the town. Test may also include hill starts and motorway driving.

Order a D2 Form (MARK FORM FOR C NOT C1)
forms.dvla.gov.uk/forms/ordering_forms_dg.htm
Fill the form and a D2 form will be send to in the post
Download the 8 page D4 Medical Form direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg … 020731.pdf Please print and take to your GP if you have the facilities at home or work

Theory - get book /CD rom + HPT (Hazard Perception Test) again, you can get CD rom to practice. Best idea - get in touch with LGV school and, for a fee, they will train you and may have cheap medical.
Read posts on this site before booking any LGV school course - if in a certain area ask about a school near you on here. It may be worth you considering a B&B elsewhere in UK to do a course.
The driver CPC is not the same as the other CPCs.
Digital tachos are usually required by agencies if you work for them but you are responsible for getting one. If you work for a non-agency they might be nice and pay for it but don’t hold your breath!
For some idea of cost try trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … highlight=

If you have the time then this very long thread from a newbie who went through theory, C & CE might be worth a read trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … sc&start=0

I agree with macplaxton. You should be able to get a decent training course for under a grand to get your Cat C.
My advice is always shop around and ask how many hours you will be getting behind the wheel.
A lot of driving schools will tell you how many days you will be training but fail to tell you how many hours make up that day!
Beware and be casreful - but I am sure you are shrewd enough to suss that out as you have alredy avoided some pitfalls of flashy advertising :exclamation:
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

cheers guys, really appreciate it.

i have looked up bigwheelers and i should be contacted by them tomorrow on course prices etc.

i will keep in touch with my progress.

thanks again.
:slight_smile:

Take all the free assessments you can get too :laughing: Gives you an impression of the quality of the instructors, if the trucks any good, and it gives you a chance to get a some familiarity with driving a truck.

A bit further for you to go, but I was quite happy with them and they’ve trained a lot of local drivers.