Another newbie

Hi all, although it is my first post I have been looking on this site for a couple of months and the posts have been very helpful.

Lost my job last September and decided on driving for a career because i’ve always driven vans around the uk and parts of europe in previous jobs.
Done my medical and theory test with no probs and took an assessment with big wheelers (Reading) last week as they were well recommended. i found this to be a bit of a waste of money to be honest because for £47 for a 10 minute drive, he told me what I already knew, ie; I wasn’t an already exeptionally good hgv driver that only needed 4 days and wasn’t exeptionally poor that I needed 6 days, so will require a 5 day course. The rest of the time time he told me about his job and how much he earns.

I called the next day to enquire about course dates and price and it took three calls and waiting all day because messages had not been passed on. Eventually I was told a five day course would be £1040 with the test being on the morning of the fifth day, I wasn’t happy with paying for a full days training on the fifth day when I would probably only get an hour or so before getting to the test centre. I decided to look around for a few quotes.

I made a shortlist of 6 companies and all were very similar prices (£880 - £1000). Despite their bad press i have decided to go with Clearstone for my training at £960.
Thanks to the posts on here, I’m under no illusions about their promises of guarenteed job, stress free life etc. etc. I’ve heard that after all the sales ■■■■■■■■ is over ( and he did go on and on about guarenteed pass deals) then the actual training ar rollright is a very good standard with high pass rates. Time will tell and will the board informed

I think you made a good choice. Clearstone gets a lot of stick generally but Rollright has a good reputation and has been around for a long time. I considered them for my rigid but at the time they quoted something like £1400 so I did not use them.

HI pacha79 & welcome :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

If you click on the link in my signature it may help you :slight_smile:

moving_on:
I think you made a good choice. Clearstone gets a lot of stick generally but Rollright has a good reputation and has been around for a long time. I considered them for my rigid but at the time they quoted something like £1400 so I did not use them.

I called Rollright directly too because I thought it may work out a little cheaper but it was actually £200 more than Clearstone for the same course!!!■■?

I’ve heard bad things about Clearstone and there are loads of bad things written on here. But I did some refresher training and the CPC National at Rollright and I found it a good experience.

So best of luck and enjoy the training.

CW

pacha79:

moving_on:

I called Rollright directly too because I thought it may work out a little cheaper but it was actually £200 more than Clearstone for the same course!!!■■?

When does your training commence?

I hope you paid by credit card…

www.clear-stone.co.uk

Oops, doesn’t look good. At least they’re gone for good now hopefully?

Training was supposed to start 27th Feb

paid by debit card, don’t know what to do now, i only paid 2 days before,to be honest i’m devastated, will go to citizens advice tomorrow

pacha79:
Training was supposed to start 27th Feb

paid by debit card, don’t know what to do now, i only paid 2 days before,to be honest i’m devastated, will go to citizens advice tomorrow

In the same boat as you NOT FUNNY

Consumer Credit Act

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 paragraph 75 does allow for customers paying by credit card to be refunded on purchases over £100 and under £30,000.

Some banks will cover amounts less than a hundred pounds.

Protection for cardholders
Visa has strong rules in place to protect cardholders, for example when a retailer fails to deliver something that’s already been paid for. The first point of call for cardholders is their card issuer who can explain the details.
Visa
Visa debit cards

But any debit card that operates within the VISA scheme also carries cover. Visa says it has strong rules in place to protect cardholders, and you should contact the card issuer.

Approach the bank that issued the card

buffoon:
Consumer Credit Act

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 paragraph 75 does allow for customers paying by credit card to be refunded on purchases over £100 and under £30,000.

Some banks will cover amounts less than a hundred pounds.

Protection for cardholders
Visa has strong rules in place to protect cardholders, for example when a retailer fails to deliver something that’s already been paid for. The first point of call for cardholders is their card issuer who can explain the details.
Visa
Visa debit cards

But any debit card that operates within the VISA scheme also carries cover. Visa says it has strong rules in place to protect cardholders, and you should contact the card issuer.

Approach the bank that issued the card

Thanks for the info, I will get on to the bank in the morning, it was a visa debit card that i paid with so it has given me some hope