Wannabe O/D, First Question of many to come!

Okay folks I’m laying all my cards on the table,
I’ve wanted to be an O/D since passing class 1 in 1995 and I’ve been researching it ever since!!! Over the next 1/2 years or so I will be doing my sums to see if it is worth it and posting lots of questions I’m sure looking for advice from you good people.I’m lucky to have available to me 50% grants for courses from my present employer up to a max £800/year,basically means to get £800 I must match it with £800 etc.Now first things first I’ve booked a 6 day course at TTS Nutts Corner N.Ireland to go for my national CPC on 5/3/04 costing £567 for which I’ll get the 50% grant, I also intend to do in the near future international CPC,ADR,Forklift licence,roping+sheeting,Hiab and tracked excavator licence.I’m completely open about what haulage work I will do as an O/D but as I will probably still live in N.I my options might be limited.I intend to research Artic traction only(rigid as well), tipper,bulk haulage,reefer,lowloader,curtainsider,van,truckmixer and even animal feed haulage (as I’ve a farming background) to see what pays the best all round rates. I will have around £20000 to start off with and don’t intend to spend much over £5000 on my first truck to get me off the ground and see how I get on for awhile.I love the thrill of driving a hard bargain with dealers and at auctions and have been known to go to Holland to purchase my private cars :smiley: !!! Now, sorry for all the waffle and heres my first :question:
What will I be learning at the CPC course and are there any books which I could read to help me along etc?
Thank for any help,
Big Truck.

Hi Big Truck,

Try taking a look through the o/d forum on the old board,there is lots of usefull info to be found there.

cheers
STEVE.

Then have a look at my site - www.ownerdrivers.org.uk
This has loads of useful information as well as links to the department of transport and details of CPC & O licence regs.

Good Luck

Bigtruck when i get the class one can i come and drive for ya■■? :smiley:
regards
kev

SKK,
I would say maybe by the time I have this project off the ground you might be an O/D yourself!!!

Big truck.

Dont wanna rain on the parade pal but I personally wouldnt do it unless you ave guranteed work & payment terms agreed.& most importantley its paying work.

Been an OD for 6 years & ive never seen as bad as it is at the mo.Many firms are struggaling.If you really wanna live the dream I would put everything on hold for 12/18 months.Then hopefully things might improve.

Sorry to be so negative buts its alot of anyones money to throw down the drain.

Bear:
Big truck.

Dont wanna rain on the parade pal but I personally wouldnt do it unless you ave guranteed work & payment terms agreed.& most importantley its paying work.

Been an OD for 6 years & ive never seen as bad as it is at the mo.Many firms are struggaling.If you really wanna live the dream I would put everything on hold for 12/18 months.Then hopefully things might improve.

Sorry to be so negative buts its alot of anyones money to throw down the drain.

talk about resurecting an old thread :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Bear, have you checked the original post date :open_mouth:

2003 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

OMG

Yeah your right.Sorry been held up at an RDC.Big truck has prob got a fleet of 30 motors now & making a mint.
Need a lie down me!!!

Bear:
OMG

Yeah your right.Sorry been held up at an RDC.Big truck has prob got a fleet of 30 motors now & making a mint.
Need a lie down me!!!

you been held up at an RDC for 63 months :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

oooh, think of the demurrage on that job :laughing: :laughing:

Demurrage.Its a loveley word aint it?

Somebloke once told me that it means that your customer pays your waiting time!!!

Crazy fool that bloke!!!

WHAT ; have you not written in the contract ,
along with a increase when the fuel, road tolls
prices increase as well, ,shame on you, :smiley: :smiley: :slight_smile:

Wonder how many O/D ave a contract■■?

@Bear , if not why not, I know that all subbies
who do work regulary for the firm where I am employed
have a contract, so that both sides have something
in their hands which allows them to claim,as and when
they need to.

I think you’ll find that Big Truck sold up over a year ago - he sold his unit and railer after working for White Mountain.

Bear:

a what :question: :question: :question:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Brit Pete

There lucky people.The only contracts that I hear of to O/D are the lads in the quarys.Can safely say out of all the O/D I know (about 20 or so) not one of them are contracted.

Everything is spot hire. & in some cases the loyalty they offer & provide gets them nowhere, not to mention the excellant service. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Bear:

Anyone who agrees with a customer to do a job for money has a contract, even if it’s only a verbal one :wink:

Paul

For the info of Bear: :grimacing:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28876&p=300323#p300323