o/d help

hi everyone this is my first post i recently got made redundant from :cry: J@S COOK CONTAINER TRANSPORT i have now decided to look into becoming an o/d and i need some advice from any veterans that have done or are doing this.i live in peterborough and have been driving class 1s for 4 anda half years and my expeirience is not the best so am i going into the unknown or do i do what del boy says HE WHO DARES WINS.thanks :confused:

The thing with being an OD is that it’s more often “Who Dares gets shafted over by poor rates then another wannabee jumps in his shoes and the pattern is repeated ad infinitum”.

Paul

Hi Carpboy
My advice is —
Don’t buy a truck without sorting out the work and rates first.
I have just retired after being an owner-driver for 15 yrs on general haulage. Years ago it was fairly easy to make a decent living tramping about for different companies. With most of the work being monopolized by the big boys now, and with the competition from the foreign hauliers it’s a different ball game.
I made a good living and have retired with a nice bit in the bank, but that wasn’t working for £1 a mile, or buying a new motor.
I only live 20 miles away so if you do decide you want to have a go, I would be more than happy to sit down over a pint and give you the benefit of my experience.
Cheers
Tony

thanks for that fenman thats the sort of help i will need a veteran if you like whos got the t-shirt a pint sounds good when,where let me know cheers mate :smiley:

You have email