Walking floor ?

May be a daft question (I’m still fairly new to trucking), but what is a ‘walking floor’?
Saw an artic at Nisa RDC Scunthorpe and it had it written down the side.
Just wondering :wink:

keano1:
May be a daft question (I’m still fairly new to trucking), but what is a ‘walking floor’?

Basically. What is says on the tin. the floor is made up. or overlaid more like, of full length strips of normally aluminium. about 4" 125 mm wide, as one goes back the other goes forward, and the load basically walks out, or in for that matter. It’s kind of a tipper, that doesn’t tip :laughing:

a walking floor is a trailer which empties it self by being connected to a PTO using hydraulics.usually there are 21 or 24 floor boards running the length of the trailer these move in sets of three in one direction then all the boards move in the opposite direction at the same time .AW JENKINSON and STEVENSON OF AVONBRIDGE are major users of these trailers to tip bulk sawdust and woodchips i used to use one at ALEX ANDERSONS OF BO’NESS you can also move pallets in them with a good PTO you clould tip it easily within 10 minutes

hope this helps

a few years ago i drove a forklift in an fertiliser baggin plant the bulk fert was unloaded in fraserburgh and transhiped to our store one of the first few wagons in was a brian harper of insch with a walking floor, they had wanted to try it out on somting other than wood chips, if i remember right the walking floor bulker was empty before the bulker next to him got to the third stage on his tipper, 26 tonne of bulk fert in less than 90 seconds if i remeber correctly

I’ve had a Chipliner on today…

How many buckles? :open_mouth:

renaultman:

keano1:

Basically. What is says on the tin. the floor is made up. or overlaid more like, of full length strips of normally aluminium. about 4" 125 mm wide, as one goes back the other goes forward, and the load basically walks out, or in for that matter. It’s kind of a tipper, that doesn’t tip :laughing:

Are these the same design to those trailers with rollers on the bed? When I last did some shunting at Princes Drinks they use these trailers to move the pallets of pop about. You don’t touch the load at all - you just connect some leccy up to the trailer and the rollers lift up and “walk” the load off - 26 pallets come off by their own in about 2 mins and you don’t even touch any of it. It also works the other way round, taking 2 rows of 13 pallets off a roller bed and loading them on to the trailer for you, again in around 2 mins. :confused:

renaultman:

keon1 these might help explain what they do

you can load anything in them(paper for tomorrows “news of the world”)

easy tipping

hope that give you the idea :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Here’s one doing its thing on youtube

Is there a company called Shufflebotham run this type of trailer?

Wheel Nut:

renaultman:

Seemed like 127 :laughing:
I wanted my tipper back, or the 26’ tandem tautiner I normally pull when I do that job :smiley:

legras.fr/index.php?id=000&newlang=en
for more in English

Thanks for all the info folks. So now I know what one is.
A walking floor seems very quick way to unload stuff.

I could do with one instead of struggling to unloading pallets with a pump truck. :angry:

keano1:
Thanks for all the info folks. So now I know what one is.
A walking floor seems very quick way to unload stuff.

I could do with one instead of struggling to unloading pallets with a pump truck. :angry:

They are even quicker if you don’t have a bay to back onto :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah i use a walking floor trailer in my job. I cart empty beer/soft drink cans to a brewery soft drink factory.As well as PET bottles to several soft drink factories it takes about a minute to load/unload good easy work push two buttons to load/unload :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The rollers floors are Hydroroll

willie_mac:
The rollers floors are Hydroroll

Who are made by Joloda, the simplest easist walking floor system ever made. Does anyone still use the skates?

The firm I used to work for back in the 70’s had all their boxvan trailers fitted out with Jolodas. They were great as long as the pallets which the load was packed on were reasonably solid, if they were at all bendy (like disposable pallets, don’t forget, this was before the widespread use of Chep pallets, when everyone seemed to use whatever pallets were lying around without someone’s name on them) then the pallets sagged in the middle and dragged on the trailer deck. Or perhaps our transport manager specced the Joloda tracks to be set too far apart in our trailers. I always thought they would have been better set a bit closer together instaed of about 10 inches in from the sides of the pallet! Then again, they only bought rubbish tractor units, like Leyland Mastiffs :cry: , so perhaps it was a case of incompetance on their part.

kickstart:
The firm I used to work for back in the 70’s had all their boxvan trailers fitted out with Jolodas. They were great as long as the pallets which the load was packed on were reasonably solid, if they were at all bendy (like disposable pallets, don’t forget, this was before the widespread use of Chep pallets, when everyone seemed to use whatever pallets were lying around without someone’s name on them) then the pallets sagged in the middle and dragged on the trailer deck. Or perhaps our transport manager specced the Joloda tracks to be set too far apart in our trailers. I always thought they would have been better set a bit closer together instaed of about 10 inches in from the sides of the pallet! Then again, they only bought rubbish tractor units, like Leyland Mastiffs :cry: , so perhaps it was a case of incompetance on their part.

Not sure of that, I thought it was standardised, part of the company I worked for ran a groupage warehouse, the blokes who worked there stuffed IFF containers, but I can see where you are coming from with the old broken and flimsy pallets.