Walking Floors

Got chatting with a bloke in a layby who works for a local Bulk Haulage firm. As my job is seasonal and hours are a bit haphazard at the moment I asked if his lot were looking for drivers. As it happened one of theirs was leaving so I asked him what they were like to work for and he painted a good picture, him and the 2nd of 3 drivers had both been there over 10 years. He said the only draw-back was the job would be using a walking-floor and not a tipper that him and t’other driver used.

What’s a walking-floor? He said it is hard work using one. I’ve never heard of 'em. Can anyone enlighten me?

We have done this one before!

Have a look http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3681&highlight=planks

was at a place the other day and the ‘tipper’ was delivering reels of paper

legrasindustries.com/new/index.php?id=100

they are the kiddys in europe…

Had a short spell using one,can’t see why he’d say it was hard work? You have to sweep them out though to stop the works gumming up

tartanraider:
Had a short spell using one,can’t see why he’d say it was hard work? You have to sweep them out though to stop the works gumming up

Maybe it’s cos it’s peat they are hauling and it probably needs a bit of assistance getting it all out??

Not sure. When I did bulk haulage before I regularly had to get the shovel out to round off the top of the load to get the sheet over, so I can’t see what the fuss is there.

My buddy and I went for a job down in Devon for a company named Glendale. The kit was fine, we were show how to use it and was straightforward enough to use. The money offered to us was terrible though.

When I worked for Dukes we used them for woodchips,which were loaded thru the top,but if the shovel driver put too much in you had to go back and shovel excess out the back,remember shovelling 5 ton one wet night.
We also loaded peat on them again thru thr top and we had to spread this,if it was dry it,s very light and you have to walk on it and spread it to get your weight on.
when your tipped you’ve got a 45foot box you can load palletts etc. on
ps. we had to shovel overloads out because units in Ireland didn’t have pumps on,walking floor was driven by hydrulics.
regards derek

I was just talking to a mate of mine tonight, He drives an Ejector trailer on a landfill site. He parked up on saturday and the boss was going to load it over the weekend. Someone forgot about the weather methinks and the load was sodden!

Tim said that normally they can fill the trailer to around 2 feet below the gunwhales and weigh off around 43 tonne. giving about 22 ton payload

When he looked this morning he said that it looked ok, and pulled onto the weighbridge. The scale just went blank and was too heavy to weigh. He then dropped the trailer and it grossed off at 50.120kg with about 10.000kg of tractor missing.

They went back onto the site and tried to push some out with the ram, and have been replacing hydraulic pipes all day. They had to tip it with a Bobcat so they could get the rams to return.

No bonus today Tim mate :stuck_out_tongue: