Wages

Truck & Driver magazine is interested to know if you are expecting a wage increase any time soon. Have you had a salary rise in the last two years? Have you asked your boss for a rise and if so were you laughed out of the office, or was your request taken seriously? Is there little point in asking for a rise at the moment? Or has your union successfully negotiated an increase for you this year?
Please note: your comments may be used in the magazine.
Thanks very much.

wage increase? ha ha ha its hard enough finding fulltime work with agencies flooding the market and now the far to familar casual route of employment. would be good to have a national rise for us suffereing truckers but i dont think any of us will hold are breath, with cpc costs,fuel costs etc… its a wonder there are any trucks on the road. our hourly rate is a joke the conditions for drivers are more stressful and wont be any better after the election, so my answer is no i dont expect a rise am chasing jobs which personally dosent pay me close to what i was earning 15 years ago.

As agency driver I have suggested a pay rise to my agency. i’ve been with them for 3 years and always try to do a good job. I was told that they were constantly being undercut by other agencies, that work was thin on the ground and the only reason I didn’t get a pay cut was because I did my job, companies asked for me by name and I didn’t cause any problems for them or the companies. No point in changing to another agency, as they pay the same or less.

I get paid £6.25 per hour which isn’t much I know. We usually get a salary increase in the Autumn…I think in October. They usually happen every year but in 2009 there was no increase at all. It would have been nice to have been given a letter saying this but nothing came and everybody kept on with their nose close to the grind-stone. It’s that kind of place I suppose in an area where if you talk to drivers about about pay etc…most will just say that ‘you’re lucky to have a job’ which in some respects I guess is true. We won’t find out if there is a salary increase this year until it either appears or doesn’t in the pay slip. As I said, it’s that kind of place.

I got no pay rise last year but did get a small rise this year.

Once again the smug git says yes i have thanks. :smiley:

No pay rise,but had a 25p an hour " wage cut " on the agency I’m with.

depends which part of the company you work for as to whether you have or have not,i havent :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: .
wasnt long ago i was told they wanted us all on stobart t+c,s so we were all paid the same, and like a fool i fell for it. :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

jammymutt:
I got no pay rise last year but did get a small rise this year.

oo err :confused:

No pay rise for me this year or any time in the immediate future but I am currently going after a new job which pays 7k more than the one I am doing.

Truckwriter:
Have you had a salary rise in the last two years?

No, we had a pay cut about 15 months ago down to £6.50 ph.

Truckwriter:
Have you asked your boss for a rise and if so were you laughed out of the office, or was your request taken seriously?

Yes and we where not laughed out the office, we where told no !!!

Truckwriter:
Truck & Driver magazine is interested to know if you are expecting a wage increase any time soon. Have you had a salary rise in the last two years?

Our drivers get a pay rise every Christmas however well the company has performed during the previous year. It might only be a 2-3% inflation wage rise but it’s better than nothing.

I’ve pointed it out before and I think people here just thought I was some nutter. This isn’t really a run of the mill recession but a seismic shift in global wealth and power. Wages aren’t going anywhere for a long time. I believe the posh term for it is “global wage arbitrage”. :cry: Which means that we, are getting poorer in relation to creditor nations such as China…who are getting wealthier. Get used to it. It’s a reversion to how things have been historically. If you have a job, don’t leave unless you have one to go to. Don’t get into debt at this moment in time. Try and save for a rainy day.

I assumed my 5% rise last April, bucked the trend, but since then I’m regularly doing 10% more work! and it’s for free, (salaried without overtime). I’m not grumbling though, I know a few folk that have had it really tough this last year or so.
No rise this year, as other companies in the group haven’t done well, but our company are smashing their sales targets :open_mouth: .

Do you people really think things will return to the way they were before this crisis?

Ader1 not without a really radical change in policy across the board, from benefits, public services and encouraging a manufacturing base and improving the education system to get back the innovation and enterprise in the fields of research and development. It could be done, but as Mervyn King said yesterday, whoever gets in next week, will ahve to make such savage cuts that they won’t get back into power for the life of the next generation - based on that I’m (almost) hoping for a Labour victory :wink:

Back to topic, no wage rise last April, 3.5% this month.

We had a 1% rise this year which loads of people have moaned about at work…I wasn’t expecting anything at all and to be honest I’m just greatfull to be on a regular wage every month…people whom I work with don’t realise how good they have it at the moment just to be employed !

just got 2.5%, backdated to 1st April, better than a kick in the teeth!!

We got 3% last october plus we kept our full sick pay from day one unlike our other depots drivers who sold theirs for a fuel bonus :open_mouth: and now dont get full sick pay until day four :open_mouth:

Governor!:
just got 2.5%, backdated to 1st April, better than a kick in the teeth!!

Same here, and that was across everything including night out money and meal allowance.