Wages down !?!?!?!

How can that be FFS!?

I live in Central Scotland, I’m a Class 2 HIAB driver. Work up here died a total death about a year ago, but has been very slowly picking up a bit. I’m currently driving a wee skip lugger, which is the worst job I’ve ever had, so every day, I check the net for new jobs.

I’m sure wages are down a bit on last year. I’m seeing HGV jobs (not 7.5t btw) for as low as £6.00p/h, which is a total disgrace. How can this be?

it’s due to supply and demand in a recession mate

more like takin the ■■■■

Napoleon, I know how you feel matey. I have had to bit the bullet and do something I wouldn’t normally do. :open_mouth: (No not that !!)
I am Class 2 with HIAB ticket (never had chance to use it yet). Been doing fairly regular Class 2 agency work, but it’s a bit up and down. One week plenty of hours, next week only a few days. And I’m one of the ‘preferred drivers’ I’m told. Anyway today agency boss rang today asking if I wanted a full time job driving 7.5t :open_mouth: with a company I’ve done a fair bit of Class 2 for. Wages only £6.50 p/h but suppose it beats the peaks and troughs, and not knowing from one week to the next if I’m working or not. It’s easy enough work and the company are good to work for, so sometime it’s a question of having to do what you have to do I guess.
Good luck mate.

keano1:
Napoleon, I know how you feel matey. I have had to bit the bullet and do something I wouldn’t normally do. :open_mouth: (No not that !!)
I am Class 2 with HIAB ticket (never had chance to use it yet). Been doing fairly regular Class 2 agency work, but it’s a bit up and down. One week plenty of hours, next week only a few days. And I’m one of the ‘preferred drivers’ I’m told. Anyway today agency boss rang today asking if I wanted a full time job driving 7.5t :open_mouth: with a company I’ve done a fair bit of Class 2 for. Wages only £6.50 p/h but suppose it beats the peaks and troughs, and not knowing from one week to the next if I’m working or not. It’s easy enough work and the company are good to work for, so sometime it’s a question of having to do what you have to do I guess.
Good luck mate.

Good luck to yourself fella, its bad times at the moment.

I used to work with an English mob called Skelton Transport. They move portable and modular buildings around the UK.

They struck me as a bit of a shambles, but the work was regular if nothing else, plenty of O/T and nights out. They have a place in Yorks mate, near Beverley, a place called Catfoss Ind Est, near Brandesburton. Might be worth putting a call into them to see if they can get you a start. Yorkshire is a big place I suppose - I’ve no idea how near or far you are from them.

God loves a trier. Apparently. Must have forgot about me then :frowning:

i thought wages were down until the pasty firms agency driver told me a on the books, w/e night driver doing all the b/h is on 51k,day driver doing same earns 42k,its no wonder those ginsters pastys are so zb dear when they have to pay those wages

ady1:
i thought wages were down until the pasty firms agency driver told me a on the books, w/e night driver doing all the b/h is on 51k,day driver doing same earns 42k,its no wonder those ginsters pastys are so zb dear when they have to pay those wages

More often than not, I have (barely) lived to regret buying anything Ginsters

ady1:

And of course we always believe what drivers say about their wages don’t we?

hiya,
Well here’s one you can believe or not, pal of mine former workmate at the BRS but not yet retireing age has just hung his big rig keys up for good,why?, becauase he’s got a job driving a little Citroen van, why?,it pays £2.30 an hour more than driving a big rig and he’s as happy as Larry about it.
thanks harry long retired.

harry_gill:
hiya,
Well here’s one you can believe or not, pal of mine former workmate at the BRS but not yet retireing age has just hung his big rig keys up for good,why?, becauase he’s got a job driving a little Citroen van, why?,it pays £2.30 an hour more than driving a big rig and he’s as happy as Larry about it.
thanks harry long retired.

I can believe that…sadly

theres a job this week in the jobcentre class 1 £5.80 all hours!!!

clarkyboy:

Well thats illigal, its below minimum wage … :slight_smile:

Trucker beads:

clarkyboy:

Well thats illigal, its below minimum wage … :slight_smile:

ARE YOU SURE ?

just double checked and that what it says
job reference moa/22936 class 1 driver-in rhosesmor nr mold n.wales although it does say wages negotiable for casual and weekend work

clarkyboy:
just double checked and that what it says
job reference moa/22936 class 1 driver-in rhosesmor nr mold n.wales

I meant about it being lower than the minimum wage :question:

yep,£5.80

Trucker beads:
Well thats illigal, its below minimum wage …

The point I was trying to make is that It is not below minimum wage - it is exactly the current minimum wage.

Disgusting for that type of job IMO but still the legal minimum

oh my mistake, i thought i read somewhere that it went up by a penny or 2 :slight_smile:

i was recently paid off last month when the firm i was working for lost a tnt contract delivering into primark and after a few weeks sitting about i got a start with montgomery distribution doing bulk artic groupage deliveries and collections and with montys im over £100 worse off than i was doing the primark work. montys work is good work but the money could be better as its only £6.00 p/h and £8.20 for o/t then tax and nat ins deductions after that. not great but a hell of a lot better than £64.00 a week on the dole and im bloody greatful for it plus makes you realise wot you take for granted

the wages in ireland have gone to sh*te as well lately there is companies looking for euro drivers for 80euro a day stobbies offering 9.50 an hour the min wage in ireland is 8.50 an hour( i heard he is having problems getting drivers).

the crowd i work doing agency work pay me 15 euro an hour was 16.50 untill this year its still better than working for stobbies 9.50