Wages on the up..

Advert in the local rag from Reed/Boardell in Boroughbridge for class 1 offering £10 non tramping/ £9 for tramping per hour. Sat/sun and Bank hol at overtime rates. Perhaps there is a shortage. Anyone else getting a rise?

mr lordi:
£10 non tramping/ £9 for tramping

I’ve never understood the whole lower rate for tramping thing… or more accurately, I’ve never understood why people just roll over and accept it.

…and if this is “wages on the up”, what were they paying before?

About £8

NewLad:
About £8

Seriously ■■

I left 22 years ago,ive had little or no contact with the UK so am a bit supprised at the low wage,come and work for me and i will double that to 16 quid an hour :smiley:

NewLad:
About £8

What about for tramping?

:laughing:

NewLad:
About £8

Think it was less than that, I have never worked for them so not sure of conditions, but by putting the rate up over £2 an hour says they are desperate for drivers which in turn has to be a positive for the industry. In the north £10 an hour isn’t that bad an hour as there aren’t a lot of driving jobs around the area.

Why does a day driver get more?

chris54:

NewLad:
About £8

Seriously ■■

I left 22 years ago,ive had little or no contact with the UK so am a bit supprised at the low wage,come and work for me and i will double that to 16 quid an hour :smiley:

Tell more please…?

yeah…does anyone know why there`s two pay rates for the same job i.e. driving a white lorry? Surely if theres any justification for a higher rate it should go to the tramper who sacrifices the most in terms of his time.

Contraflow:

NewLad:
About £8

What about for tramping?

£9 for tramping per hour :unamused: :wink:

gezt:

Contraflow:

NewLad:
About £8

What about for tramping?

So they used to pay more for tramping than they did for day drivers, but now they pay more for day drivers than they do for tramping?

Wow, this is confusing…

…or is it you that’s confused because you haven’t fully read the thread? :unamused: :wink:

cheekymonkey:
yeah…does anyone know why there`s two pay rates for the same job i.e. driving a white lorry? Surely if theres any justification for a higher rate it should go to the tramper who sacrifices the most in terms of his time.

Trampers get peekaboo curtains to offset the lower wage.

The sad thing is, employers wait till now to dangle the carrot, they obviously had the money to do it all along !.
but why pay us a decent wage until forced in to a corner :imp:

Contraflow:

gezt:

Contraflow:

NewLad:
About £8

What about for tramping?

So they used to pay more for tramping than they did for day drivers, but now they pay more for day drivers than they do for tramping?

Wow, this is confusing…

…or is it you that’s confused because you haven’t fully read the thread? :unamused: :wink:

nope i really did read the thread but a wine or 2 may have confused the issue :unamused: , never mind ,not like either of is gonna fight :smiley:

gezt:

Contraflow:

gezt:

Contraflow:

NewLad:
About £8

What about for tramping?

Wow, this is confusing…

nope i really did read the thread but a wine or 2 may have confused the issue :unamused: , never mind ,not like either of is gonna fight :smiley:

Was raised to £8.50 for all Mon-Fri hours back in feb/march.

Saw an advert at the induction centre at Lackenby offering 20K per annum for class 1 running out of steel works. Stated + overtime and some nights out :unamused:

I’ll stay where I am :wink:

peak_46:
Was raised to £8.50 for all Mon-Fri hours back in feb/march.

yes your right, they used to pay a measly 7 quid and maybe a few pence per hour upto 40 hrs and then about 9. 50 ph above 40 hrs but no one would work for 7 quid so they raised the rate to 8.50 straight thru and no OT rate. you will work max hours every day and every week at RB so will be worse off now than before but 8.50 per hour sounds better on the phone than 7ph :open_mouth:

Contraflow:

cheekymonkey:

Trampers get peekaboo curtains to offset the lower wage.

trampers don’t even get the same vehicle from one day to the next, you may be be out 2 nights return to depot loaded on third and told we need wagon on nights take all your gear out and go home, return at silly oclock in morning and be allocated a diff veh which has just returned from a night run

Jesus why would anyone wOrk for that . I’d rather get rid of all the stress and push trolleys around a Tesco car park for not much less and no worrying about vosa .