Volvo & Scania announce reundancies

I have read in the press today both Volvo & Scania are about to announce 20% redundancies at their production sites in Sweden & Belgium due to the current credit crisis. So how come reading in the same press deliveries for orders placed today are quoting 12 to 18 months delivery.
Obviuosly lots of kit in left hand drive not enough in RHD or have i just answered my own question.

Cripsie

:unamused:

kenworth have done the same in melbourne, but they blame it on dwindling sales, which might have more to do with the state of the trucking industry here in general than the global credit crisis

I would say left hand drive could be problem as there are backlogs in UK for orders

Am sorry to hear any one loosing jobs but i dont really feel sorry for volvo(and yes i like there product) but after they shut down the Irvine plant and moved it to poland when the Irvine was a PROFITABLE run place they was just greedy !

And didn’t DAF recently start more staff to try and up prodution?

A lot of orders have ben cancelled of late, also the manufacturers made their reps check that all the orders they thought they had were for real. Apparently a lot of these were made on spec that the shortage of trucks would continue and that they could be moved quickly by dealers. Now these have not come to fruition the remaining backlog has been cleared.

With the “credit crunch” even if you want a unit, you probably couldn’t get finance for it anyway so that will also cut a lot out. If this goes on for long we’ll be back to 1979 with short time working and major job losses. Lost mine already, so on the look out.

crispie:
I have read in the press today both Volvo & Scania are about to announce 20% redundancies at their production sites in Sweden & Belgium due to the current credit crisis. So how come reading in the same press deliveries for orders placed today are quoting 12 to 18 months delivery.
Obviuosly lots of kit in left hand drive not enough in RHD or have i just answered my own question.

Cripsie

:unamused:

It wouldn’t surprise me we supply Scania with parts and there has been a severe drop in deliveries to them and others to the point of redundancies at our place.Most deliveries at the moment are ship to stock only, all the Vehicle manufacturers are cutting production at the moment. :frowning: