Hire trucks, where are they?

Just wondering… my boss needs a decent motor (for me) until the end of the year, dont want to buy one as i got a new one coming January, but he cant find anyone with trucks spare. If there is a driver shortage, surley there must be an excess amount of spare motors.■■

Wouldn’t be surpised of its being caused by the lack of semiconductors which is impacting the delivery of new trucks apparently. People who have planned to get rid of old ones, had broken ones that are too expensive to replace or need ones that meet Euro 6 for London etc are likely having to hire them while they wait.

Saw a post saying Scania are months behind for some orders as are others.

Hire an F12 (or a 143) from one of the preservation crew.

Manual gearbox and guaranteed to win at Elephant Racing.

cant speak for 2 nd hand, but my mate has just got his new Volvo fh,with another 99 arriving as well , so taking into account this company stopped buying / leasing Volvos a fair few years ago , you’d of thought any stock would go to repeat customers in the event of a shortage of lorries , but mates thcompany seem not to have a problem getting there hands on 100 new lorries r
Also passing a lot of these 2 nd hand dealers they seem to have plenty of stock ( my eyes arnt the best so I assume they haven’t got Sold on them )
I wonder op if your boss isn’t telling you porkies as it’s cheaper to leave you in you existing lorry until your new one arrives , save a few ££££

dozy:
Also passing a lot of these 2 nd hand dealers they seem to have plenty of stock

A lot of it is older stuff that’s not Euro 6 so can’t go into ULEZ zones without paying £200 a day. The stuff which is Euro 6 tends to be ex-fleet with over a million km on the clock.

kindle530:
Just wondering… my boss needs a decent motor (for me) until the end of the year, dont want to buy one as i got a new one coming January, but he cant find anyone with trucks spare. If there is a driver shortage, surley there must be an excess amount of spare motors.■■

Funnily enough, I’ve just been looking at this. It’s all about the semiconductors - no-one can get anything new, so used have been cleared out as well, leaving rental trucks snapped up weeks ago. Plus normally the rentals all bring new motors in and run new and old together through the Christmas peak to make sure they have stock, so obvs that can’t happen at the moment either.

whisperingsmith:
Hire an F12 (or a 143) from one of the preservation crew.

Manual gearbox and guaranteed to win at Elephant Racing.

had a brand new 143 mate

and an F16 for a bit.proper job!

thanks for replies. I think im gonna have to bite the bullet with what ive got, and wait for my
new Scania to turn up in January

I can certainly tell you who to avoid for hire trucks.

Ken.