Volvo fh12 340?

may just have found what i’ve been looking for, a stretched artic done by volvo at coventry, ready for a 28ft body, going to have a gander on tuesday.
it’s a p reg anyone know anything of these, anything in particular to look out for?

:slight_smile: They did do a 340 FH back then yes.

One thing, or two maybe, make sure you get the correct radio code for it and watch out for air leaks from the clutch cylinder (expensive job), I think it is. :slight_smile:

On the clocks just under the tacho theres a small circle, which can be prised out...... and naughty things done to the tacho. if its got any marks on it be careful. Im also led to believe that in the central console behind the drinks holders there`s a yellow and green wire… check it for pin prick marks :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

JB:
. I`m also led to believe :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

Yeah! Right! :laughing:

Salut, David.

i think it’s the same engine as the 420 and can be altered to produce 420 bhp (or even 380 bhp) by swapping the brain over (might need the radiator too), you would have to check it out with a technician, i know of a 340 stretched tractor unit that now has a globetrotter cab with completely flat floor, captains seats and a walk through to the body, it has shower, toilet etc and carries 2 stock cars for a local garage.
the owner used to run his own trucks at one time but then moved into car repairs and hasn’t looked back since, he calls the truck a toy, it’s a real nice piece of kit and was featured as a by line in trucking magazine trade plater article.
that has a 420 bhp brain in it but as it is no longer anywhere near the original spec anyway (ie it didn’t come with a globetrotter cab) i’m not sure what other alterations had to be made.
it doesn’t really matter anyway because you take your chances with an old motor but much like buying a scania the volvo do seem to run forever and a day.

I think you can get 380 out of a 340. I drove one on Tankers at 40tonne, It wasnt mine, it was Mannys who died so I cant ask him :cry:

Beware of the pricks behind the dash :smiley: Dont know how anyone would know that…

Even at 340 hosses it should make a decent rigid tool

It was only 15 years ago when 240 horses were considered over the top for 38 tonne

340 should be more than enough, i run a 240 now which strugles a bit on the hills but is usable. think everyones got the same idea now, run something thats more than enough to keep maintainence and fuel consumption down rather than the small engine and box route that was the norm. i was talking to one of beeches drivers the other week who drives one doing the same job as me and he reckoned it had plenty of power although the firm had got it stretched and dropped a glanger with the wheel base, it had a 7t front axle and in practise was almost worthless, having had a purpose built body fitted and after testing it with variouse loads of brightbar the only way to avoid overloading the front axle was to set a dummy baulkhead two foot down the body and only load 7t on the front row which means it could only carry 15t and has a usable body lengh of 26ft, not long enough for the job!
i’m doing a diary type thing this week and all will be explained. :slight_smile:

Way back in my rigid days I used to drive a brand new X-reg FM12 340 rigid 28ft? curtain sider body. I used to pull around 15 tonne of paper reels most of the time, all over the country and it was one of the best I’ve ever driven. Never missed a beat and had hoodles of pulling power. :slight_smile:

the wagons a non starter, rang em today to check on axle weights and the front is a 7.1t same as beeches and would have the same probs, oh well the seach goes on :cry: