Various LGV Qs

Hi,

I have afew questions i would like to request any advice on if possible. I am just starting my resettlement from the Army after 22 years service and would like to break into the driving world ASAP. I have vast military driving experience and have held CE, class 1, from 1994. To get some civillian experience i was advised to register with an agency and conduct weekend work, which i have now done, just waiting for a driving assessment. I have also received my Digi Tacho card from DVLA so i’m ready to get going. A few questions i have are as follows:

1. If using a Tacho Chart Vehicle, am i required to annotate the chart with a line at both my start of duty time, or end of daily rest, and my end of duty time, or start of daily rest. I have had answers of both yes and no, so any clarification would be great.

2. When using my Digi Card, am i required to print out my duties and keep on file as with a tacho chart?

3. As i work for the MOD during the week, i believe i have to ensure that any driving etc i conduct at the weekend added to my work time does not exceed an average of 48 hrs for a 16 week period, does the work have to include rests, lunch breaks etc. I presume that if i did’nt drive for a weekend that would obviously reduce the average for that period?

4. Sat Nav - i have read some of the threads already ref to this, i am thinking of using the HGV solutions upgrade for my Tom Tom, and of course an atlas, good idea, advice would be helpful?

Well thanks for reading, and of course any information, advice and assistance you may be able to give to ensure i make the transition with ease wooul be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Jay

i am currently doing my training so tacho rules are stuck in my head i dream about them lol. You do not have to mark start finish break times as the tacho does it all for you it records time on different lines below where it records your speed that tells anyone that needs to read the tacho what you was doing obviously driving, rest period of availability and other work. As i am only doing my training i cant say nothing about working for agencies as i have never done it and there are different opinions on print outs howver there is no law that you have to print out daily as all data is stored on the card it has to be downloaded every 28 days as that is how long the card can store the data. However reading through the posts on here i believe that most agency lads print out every day but
they will be able to advise you more as they are doing the job. Sat nav i started a thread on here about sat navs for trucks very wise to include the words a map aswell or you would get lynched weather you have a map already or not. The best answer that i got is to get a tom tom go either the 5,7 or 9 series but try and get the 20 or 30 ie 520/530 as from what i have read i think its easier to put the maps and navcore on. Or if you ask someone very nicely there is someone on here that if you send them a memory card they will install it for you if you not to hot with computers like me not going to mention his name as he may not want an advert lol but that was the best advice i got concerning sat navs.

Also would like to say that what you are others in the army are doing for us in afgan and iraq is a great job and thank you. You lads do not get enough support from the public especially when you are doing a job that most wouldnt have the bottle to do.

Big Brummie Macca:
Also would like to say that what you are others in the army are doing for us in afgan and iraq is a great job and thank you. You lads do not get enough support from the public especially when you are doing a job that most wouldnt have the bottle to do.

Here here.

As an agency bod myself, I have done the following:

Lines on the chart in my experience, are down to the customer you work for. Some want it, some don’t. Just remember when you attend various ones.

Print outs. I always do one and keep it for the 28 day period required, then send them back to the agency along with any analogue charts. What they do with them is not my concern, but I’m assuming they send them to the customer. What I have done before though, is if I am with a customer long term, then just hand them my charts after the 28 days in the same way their own drivers do. This cuts out the need to send them to the agency.

Sat Nav. it’s a veritable mine field out there. I do use one, a TT1 V3 European to be precise, and the thing I do have on, is the speed camera database. Not the TT one though, the one on the PocketGPS forum, for which I get free for life as a camera submitter from the early days. Some will say why do you need it when you shouldn’t speed, but you can’t tell me that NO-ONE creeps over the limit from time to time. If somebody claims that they never speed, and could physically prove it, then I’ll show my arse in Debenhams window.

Ken.

Quinny:

Big Brummie Macca:

Here here.

As an agency bod myself, I have done the following:

Lines on the chart in my experience, are down to the customer you work for. Some want it, some don’t. Just remember when you attend various ones.

Print outs. I always do one and keep it for the 28 day period required, then send them back to the agency along with any analogue charts. What they do with them is not my concern, but I’m assuming they send them to the customer. What I have done before though, is if I am with a customer long term, then just hand them my charts after the 28 days in the same way their own drivers do. This cuts out the need to send them to the agency.

Sat Nav. it’s a veritable mine field out there. I do use one, a TT1 V3 European to be precise, and the thing I do have on, is the speed camera database. Not the TT one though, the one on the PocketGPS forum, for which I get free for life as a camera submitter from the early days. Some will say why do you need it when you shouldn’t speed, but you can’t tell me that NO-ONE creeps over the limit from time to time. If somebody claims that they never speed, and could physically prove it, then I’ll show my arse in Debenhams window.

Ken.

i never speed im on the bus until i get a new job and can afford to run my car again but you can keep your arse in your trousers lol

Welcome to the board Jay

I came out in 1995 after 7 1/2 years man service. When I came out I had the option of doing a one week attachment with a ‘civi’ company. Perhaps you should see your RAO or resettlement officer about this.

Jay,

What area are you in (as in ‘part of the country’ not ‘line of work’)?

M.

paulfromwire:
Welcome to the board Jay

I came out in 1995 after 7 1/2 years man service. When I came out I had the option of doing a one week attachment with a ‘civi’ company. Perhaps you should see your RAO or resettlement officer about this.

How’d did your parents react to you “coming out” :wink: :wink:

Hi to all,

Many thanks for all your responses, its great to see that there is valuable help out there!!

All great info and very much appreciated. I’ll PM you individually.

Cheers

Jay

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Jay40 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

Jay40:
I am just starting my resettlement from the Army after 22 years service

these links may provide useful info…
EU DRIVER REGS
VOSA
RT(WTD)R regs
THE PERIODIC (ongoing) DRIVER CPC

Jay40:
To get some civillian experience i was advised to register with an agency

A read of THIS POST may be useful.

Jay40:
3. As i work for the MOD during the week, i believe i have to ensure that any driving etc i conduct at the weekend added to my work time does not exceed an average of 48 hrs for a 16 week period, does the work have to include rests, lunch breaks etc. I presume that if i did’nt drive for a weekend that would obviously reduce the average for that period?

I would have one question - is MOD work exempt from counting towards the EU & WTD regs :question:

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

Hi Rog,

I have seen your name mentioned many many times today, so i’m pleased to meet you, so to speak!!!

Thanks for all the info and the links, i’ll check them all out, and i’ll ask the Q ref MOD to the agency tomorrow.

Many thanks, much appreciated.

Cheers

Jay

Jay40:

1. If using a Tacho Chart Vehicle, am i required to annotate the chart with a line at both my start of duty time, or end of daily rest, and my end of duty time, or start of daily rest. I have had answers of both yes and no, so any clarification would be great.
    This is not a legal requirement but companies may ask for this

2. When using my Digi Card, am i required to print out my duties and keep on file as with a tacho chart?
    No, the info is kept on the card and downloaded by the employer(s) - again, if a company wants you to do so then no problem providing they supply the paper and pay you to do it

See my post above - I await a site GURU to answer the question re MOD
    If the time served at the MOD job DOES count as ‘other work’ and you work from say, Mon to Fri, then you will only be able to drive for one day every other weekend - the MOD days will require putting onto a seperate card ( or downloading into a digi - card is easier) for each day worked with your name, date, start & finish time on each card for every day that you worked in a week (Mon 0000 to Sun 2400) when you drove under EU regs - as I said - you may be exempt

Jay40:
i’ll ask the Q ref MOD to the agency tomorrow.

DO NOT ASK AGENCY - they know less then anybody on this sort of thing

A few words of advice:
It will be obvious that you are army — don’t be tempted to regale other drivers with tales of your military experience unless they ask. On the other hand expect to be told all kinds of horror stories like how they just missed the ferry that sank etc. (See all; Hear all; Say nowt, is good advice)

As an agency driver you are not expected to know much about anything anyway. Don’t be afraid to ask about stuff you don’t understand. Every employer has different rules and ways of working; every delivery has another set (mostly under the catch-all of health and safety). Some companies give agency drivers the easy work because that’s all they think they are capable of, and some give them the ■■■■ jobs so their regular drivers don’t have to do them.

Take nothing for granted and don’t move a truck until you have checked it out (tyres, lights, oil, curtains, doors etc — and of course the load. Check the tax and licence in the windscreen. There are many gearboxes out there — some manual, some auto; so you will have to suss each one out as you go. ASK if you need to. If it is a nice new truck with only one or two dents (especially if they are recent) point them out to the TM or a shunter so you won’t get the blame.

TAKE YOUR TIME… If you aren’t sure — check (did I put the brake on? Did I wind the legs up?) If it’s a tight reverse ask for help, or keep getting out to check (it’s not a competition or even a test and it’s better to look nervous than hit someone’s truck.

Ask for directions — your sat-nav might get you there but it won’t tell you that the goods entrance is in another street, and it won’t tell you that you have to join a queue in the road outside. The regulars, if asked, will usually be helpful (you get the odd idiot) and give you good advice. In general it’s better to know less than you do, to get the best help. A lot (most) companies assume you know their systems unless you say you don’t, so ask how they do their paperwork.

Think about the kit you need in your bag: Map, flask and sarnies of course, a couple of biros, a note book, a towel, baby wipes, some bog roll, clean socks, cross head screwdriver (large and small) emergency choccy bars. That’s a minimum, and experience with your particular customers will add more. Don’t forget to acquire some tacho printout rolls asap, also a supply of discs.

Turn up 10 minutes before your start time; clean sober and ready for work. If you spend the next 3 hours sitting in their canteen it’s not your fault. (Take something to read).

Santa:
A few words of advice:
It will be obvious that you are army — don’t be tempted to regale other drivers with tales of your military experience unless they ask. On the other hand expect to be told all kinds of horror stories like how they just missed the ferry that sank etc. (See all; Hear all; Say nowt, is good advice)

As an agency driver you are not expected to know much about anything anyway. Don’t be afraid to ask about stuff you don’t understand. Every employer has different rules and ways of working; every delivery has another set (mostly under the catch-all of health and safety). Some companies give agency drivers the easy work because that’s all they think they are capable of, and some give them the [zb] jobs so their regular drivers don’t have to do them.

Take nothing for granted and don’t move a truck until you have checked it out (tyres, lights, oil, curtains, doors etc — and of course the load. Check the tax and licence in the windscreen. There are many gearboxes out there — some manual, some auto; so you will have to suss each one out as you go. ASK if you need to. If it is a nice new truck with only one or two dents (especially if they are recent) point them out to the TM or a shunter so you won’t get the blame.

TAKE YOUR TIME… If you aren’t sure — check (did I put the brake on? Did I wind the legs up?) If it’s a tight reverse ask for help, or keep getting out to check (it’s not a competition or even a test and it’s better to look nervous than hit someone’s truck.

Ask for directions — your sat-nav might get you there but it won’t tell you that the goods entrance is in another street, and it won’t tell you that you have to join a queue in the road outside. The regulars, if asked, will usually be helpful (you get the odd idiot) and give you good advice. In general it’s better to know less than you do, to get the best help. A lot (most) companies assume you know their systems unless you say you don’t, so ask how they do their paperwork.

Think about the kit you need in your bag: Map, flask and sarnies of course, a couple of biros, a note book, a towel, baby wipes, some bog roll, clean socks, cross head screwdriver (large and small) emergency choccy bars. That’s a minimum, and experience with your particular customers will add more. Don’t forget to acquire some tacho printout rolls asap, also a supply of discs.

Turn up 10 minutes before your start time; clean sober and ready for work. If you spend the next 3 hours sitting in their canteen it’s not your fault. (Take something to read).

The best post i have seen on this board… :wink:

Hi Santa,

Fantastic!! Great info and great advice, i will most definately take your advice over the coming months. I will be seeing the agency tomorrow so i’ll see how the land lies, taking Rog’s comments about not asking about the MOD thing.

I am really looking forward to getting out there, i have also approached a local company for weekend drives, with a view to future perm employment. As part of my resettlement i plan to conduct ADR Trg, HIAB and start the CPC.

Once again great advice, and a great check list for the days out!

Much appreciated

Jay

Jay40:
As part of my resettlement i plan to conduct ADR Trg, HIAB and start the CPC.

From what I’ve heard, the resettlement bods have got their heads screwed on OK, so I would expect that most of any training such as ADR will be geared to also count towards the Dcpc - might be worth checking with them that this is so.

Jay40:
As part of my resettlement i plan to conduct ADR Trg, HIAB and start the CPC.

ADR & DCPC is a combined/complete course offered by the resettlement people. See PM I’ve sent you.

daftvader:

paulfromwire:
Welcome to the board Jay

How’d did your parents react to you “coming out” :wink: :wink:

I see that your username speaks volumes…nuff said

Nice one, i plan to combine ASDR and some of the CPC, will find out more on Friday.

Great info guys, much appreciated.

Cheers

J

I guess that most of members on here are already aware of it, but if you want to show support for/ help injured armed forces
then this site has some good stuff.

helpforheroes.org.uk