Update - my progress

Hey peeps,

Just done mod 4 today, passed with 100%. That was, in my opinion, the easiest of all the tests yet. Of course with EP you get two hours in the classroom plus physical time with a vehicle and load restraint equipment so really with all that there is really no reason to fail.

So licence has gone off, DCPC card should come out to me very soon and my licence should come back with my C+E prov entitlement.

I am 99.99% sure I’m going to take the road less traveled and the more difficult route by doing my Class 1 in an artic. Every time I think about it I’m sure its the right choice for me, even if only the fact that I’m itching to drive artics, not W&D so even the training and test should be that much more fun because it will be an artic.

At this point I have little or no interest in W&D work, and having seen other artic drivers easily transfer their skills to W&D am confident that I will be able to do the same, and as everything is easier on W&D then it shouldn’t be a big deal for me. I do however want to drive artics and I want maximum exposure between now and accepting any commercial work with artics, so any opportunity to drive one is for me so I see the test as that, an opportunity to get into an artic and get started.

I was starting to get cold feet about the whole idea, but fortunately was able to meet up with Jennie which has given me a renewed boost. Although I have an inside track as it were with having a HGV driver at home in the OH there is nothing like talking to another woman who has gone through the same thing.

With a bit of luck should be able to start C+E training around the 19th, assuming my licence comes back quickly!

:smiley:

Good luck but it is much easier in a W&D I know

Failed my test up here with a well know provider nowt wrong with the training or anything but I failed on the reverse I then went & took my test in a W&D outfit found it much easier but was also out of area still not a problem since then I have never driven a W&D only artics again like you have no real interest in them although there is not many company up here in the north east that have them

ang

Thanks. Yea, I know it’s gonna but harder but I also sort of think - if I can get it done the hard way, it might help me have a bit more confidence from the start when I actually start working. I’m mega hard on myself anyway and don’t give myself a lot of credit so am hoping that by doing it the hard way, once done I will actually give myself a break! :laughing:

Yep I can be pretty hard on myself as well but the other problem I have is being only 147 cm not the tallest of people & I did do it in an artic but just didnt quite get the reverse on the day even though had done it in practice plenty of times but I did have an audience as it was break time up at the test centre so most of the staff came out to watch & you dont always have to be hard on your self

Well I know others that will disagree, but I think you’re doing the right thing.

Also good that you’re doing it sooner rather than later, while you’re in sponge mode.

PaulNowak:
Well I know others that will disagree, but I think you’re doing the right thing.

Also good that you’re doing it sooner rather than later, while you’re in sponge mode.

Thanks, I’m actually behind my schedule, I was hoping to have done C+E by now but was held up by a month delay in getting a date for my Mod 4 :frowning:

Have booked 5 days with Group One/■■■■ Parker on Dunsfold for 13-19th (assuming licence comes back on time), test should be on the Weds, 19th. Was going to book 7 days training just to give me more time but have decided to have more faith in my abilities instead.

Well done.

Out of interest If you do W+D do they actually make you drop and pick up the trailer ■■

nick2008:
Well done.

Out of interest If you do W+D do they actually make you drop and pick up the trailer ■■

Thanks. Yes, you still have to do a uncouple/re-couple with either option, and again I’m told it’s a bit easier with the W&D.

TheMissus:

nick2008:
Well done.

Thanks. Yes, you still have to do a uncouple/re-couple with either option, and again I’m told it’s a bit easier with the W&D.

ah because when I did my Class 1 many moons ago you didn’t actually drop the trailer, you just talked it through.

I just ask because watching some drivers trying to pick up a dropped drag in the past they have hells work getting them picked up :wink:

I found the uncouple/couple excercise a doddle. Way easier than the reverse, and the only time I buggered that up was on my test (nerves) Sorted it out in a flash though.

Easier to un couple / re couple an artic as far as I am concerned but for test easier to drive W&D as it follows you round better uses less space more forgiving on the reverse as well

Brill result for the mod 4 congrats ,
as ang said Im the same passed with W&D but have always driven artics so if thats what you want your making the right decision in my opinion, the thing is you get taught to reverse to pass the test I dont think Ive been anywhere that reproduces the test reverse :wink: , but in the real world you dont have to get on the bay in 2 shunts so can take your time and as long as all the paint is still on the veh when you drop it back to its owner jobs a good un :stuck_out_tongue:

Well done on passing with 100%, glad to hear it’s easier than the others. I’m waiting for a test date to do mine. I’m not sure about artic or w&d, but I’m going for artic because in my head this is what I’ll be driving in the real world on a daily basis.