Just passed C+E

Passed C+E this morning on a wagon n drag :grimacing:

I’ve got a permanent job mon-fri driving a rigid! having obviously never driven an artic, what route would you guys recommend taking to get into class 1 work? I’m thinking of leaving my job at some point and going on agency.

Congratulations on your class 1,As for leaving a permanent job for agency work personally I wouldn’t having done it once never again, waiting for the phone to ring wondering if you are in tomorrow is the worst thing.
Take your cv round to local companies on your day off and ask about,when you get a permanent class 1 job my advice is to go back to where you did your w&d and ask for a morning in an artic to get you used to it before you start your new job.
Not sure where your based im sure some on here might know of jobs going by you also if your able to take holiday have a week off and do some agency class 1 work give you a chance to ask around .

Jeff.

Cheers Jeff! to be honest I haven’t got any major financial commitments at the minute and I’m not totally sure how secure my job is anyway, plus I’m bored to death of going to the same places everyday. Going on agencies for a bit feels like the right thing to do. Do you think a morning on an artic would be enough? I’m in Nottingham by the way

Graft:
Cheers Jeff! to be honest I haven’t got any major financial commitments at the minute and I’m not totally sure how secure my job is anyway, plus I’m bored to death of going to the same places everyday. Going on agencies for a bit feels like the right thing to do. Do you think a morning on an artic would be enough? I’m in Nottingham by the way

4 hours on artic doing 2 hours on road and 2 hours of uncoupling/reversing should see you ok if they do the reversing in realistic places and not with cones

I used to get those doing such to reverse at an empty premises on ind est etc

ROG:

Graft:

4 hours on artic doing 2 hours on road and 2 hours of uncoupling/reversing should see you ok if they do the reversing in realistic places and not with cones

I used to get those doing such to reverse at an empty premises on ind est etc

Sounds good to me! what would you say is easier to drive…wagon n drag or artic?

Well done, pleased you got through!

th2013:

Nice one, have you been out on the road with an artic by yourself yet?

Graft:

th2013:

Nice one, have you been out on the road with an artic by yourself yet?

Nope, juggled the yard about and moved one, but not been on road yet. Should do next week!

graft:

Bloke I was training with had an old license with C+E and 102 restriction (drawbar trailers only) so he was in this strange club that could legally drive himself to a C+E test in a w+d, fail it, then drive himself home. He struggled a lot with an artic at first. But like most things the more he did of it the better he got.

I reckon a morning driving an artic would get most people used to it. The tight corners are simple, you just use all the road you have available and either get round or find out it’s impossible without a shunt (if you are lucky!)

Congratulations on your pass :smiley:

jusholmes:
Congratulations on your pass :smiley:

Thanks, well done on yours from a couple months back

th2013:

graft:

Bloke I was training with had an old license with C+E and 102 restriction (drawbar trailers only) so he was in this strange club that could legally drive himself to a C+E test in a w+d, fail it, then drive himself home. He struggled a lot with an artic at first. But like most things the more he did of it the better he got.

I reckon a morning driving an artic would get most people used to it. The tight corners are simple, you just use all the road you have available and either get round or find out it’s impossible without a shunt (if you are lucky!)

I’m going to do a morning training on an artic and then take it from there. I’ve no idea what that restriction means…he could only drive a w+d legally and not an artic?

Graft:
I’m going to do a morning training on an artic and then take it from there. I’ve no idea what that restriction means…he could only drive a w+d legally and not an artic?

Sounds good. Yes - I think some slightly older folk got HGV entitlement before a lot of rules came in, and the “grandad rights” gave them category C, and C+E with 102 meaning they could drive drawbar vehicles (wag + drag) but not artics. At least, that was the result, not too sure how it came about.

Now you can do C+E test in a wag + drag (as you know!) this has created the amusing scenario that these people pass a test in something they can already legally drive in order to drive something they can’t legally drive…!

It gets even more funny if you swap a license with C+E and 102 for a German license, as they don’t have that restriction and you end up with a full C+E German license. But if you move back to UK the 102 reappears (happened to a friend!)