unemployed

I’ve been out of work since last Friday.

It came totally out of the blue. I’ve spent the whole week doing a CV and cover letter on the computer. I’ve been starting at 8am and finishing around 9pm. Finally finished it and just about to send them off to about 14 companies.

As far as I’m aware, there is only one that might be a possible, but you have to try don’t you? I live in Didcot and I’ve gone as far as Southampton with this batch. I’m going to call the agency that has a permanent office at my last company (I was there seven years - supermarket work) and see if they have anything. I’m hoping that because I did seven years, only left in March, and with Christmas coming they might have some work coming. Apparently they were paying £25 per hour last Christmas :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

EnglishTrucker:

It came totally out of the blue. I’ve spent the whole week doing a CV and cover letter on the computer. I’ve been starting at 8am and finishing around 9pm. Finally finished it and just about to send them off to about 14 companies.

The CV and covering letter must be the thickness of Yellow Pages if it’s taken that long to do.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ben9:

EnglishTrucker:

The CV and covering letter must be the thickness of Yellow Pages if it’s taken that long to do.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

LOL…

Yeah it felt like the Yellow pages by the time I had finished. My eyes were killing me last night after sitting in front of the computer all day, and my right hand had seized after all the writing. God knows how these office bods do it all day?

I kept it to two pages for the CV and one for the covering letter. It’s taken me so long because when I sat down to do it I struggled to know what to put and the design of it was a right headache.

The cover letter was equally difficult. It’s a pain in the arse. It’s not like the good old days when you turned up in dirty work gear, jumped in the waggon for a test drive and showed your licence and got the job.

These days transport is mainly run by graduate qualified transport and HR bosses. It doesn’t matter how good a driver you are, how long you have been driving and what experience you have. All these people want to see is how good can you do a CV, and if your wearing a suit for the interview, if it looks crap then it goes in the bin. It’s bad times these days. :frowning:

Scarab:
Had to take 10 days work in as a git in a suit flying round Asia last week just to put some food on the table and keep the bailiffs out the house.

Alex

What does that mean?

I finished work for the week yesterday. I felt a little worried after talking to a couple of fellow employees. On only worked 2 days out of 4 last week because of no jobs for him. Another took an extra day’s holiday because of a lack of work. Time to watch the pennies I think.

PS
Anybody know what the situation is like in Europe? Somebody here said they just returned from Holland. I don’t suppose any better as I heard on the news that Germany is now in reccession. If the worst comes to the worst, I will consider anywhere. Good luck to those unemployed and looking for work. How about factory work for the time-being…they usually have a high turnover but may now also be cutting back.

Trouble with going into something else is that you struggle to get back into it. I used to drive Tower Cranes when I was in my early twenties. I got made redundant and had to get something else (Landscaping and Forestry). I never worked on a crane again, and the poxy CITB licence only lasts 5 years, so now it would cost me £2,500 for a two week course, but there isn’t any point as there is no work in construction either.

The only work that is pretty steady is supermarkets and cold chain hauliers as everyone has to eat. Christmas is the busiest time of year for this work so I’m hoping my 7 years in supermarket work will at least get me some agency work. After Christmas is a different matter. I’ve just spoke to my missus and she isn’t happy. Christmas on supermarket work means only Christmas Day off and her birthday is on Boxing day and I might have to work (that’s if I can get a job)

It’s just one thing after another!! :unamused:

english trucker are these any help

AD0019 LGV C+E Class 1 Abingdon £9 p/h - £11.97
Our client is looking for 3 experienced class 1 drivers to work from their Abingdon depot. If you have 2 years experience driving Class 1 vehicles, hold a digital card and happy to work flexible hours, then please call for more information. In return you will be paid £9 per hour on days or after 6pm £11.97 per hour + holiday pay + other benefits.
Call Karen on: 01235 535 858 to discuss further or email you CV details through to k.bailey@paterson-recruitment.co.uk Paterson Recruitment —

Employment Agency/Business
Class 2 Refuse Drivers Wallingford £8.50 p/h
Our Client is looking for refuse collection drivers in the Wallingford and Didcot areas. Early starts will be common place as will be the opportunity for overtime. This position will be on-going with the possibility of becoming permanent. Immediate starts are available. Our client would also be interested in seeing candidates looking for temporary work.
If you are interested and would like more information please contact Darren or Kris on: 01491 202 020 or forward your CV to: Wallingford@secondsite.co.uk

fish4.co.uk/ls/nwqabdhrld/jo … xfordshire

Finished working for company in kent last saturday after 9 weeks on the trot, and thats died off. Got two days on agency this week, just phoned 9 companies and they more or less say they all laying drivers of. Have applied for work in Iraq and nowt coming of that either. Things is desperate :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: .

neil46:
english trucker are these any help

AD0019 LGV C+E Class 1 Abingdon £9 p/h - £11.97
Our client is looking for 3 experienced class 1 drivers to work from their Abingdon depot. If you have 2 years experience driving Class 1 vehicles, hold a digital card and happy to work flexible hours, then please call for more information. In return you will be paid £9 per hour on days or after 6pm £11.97 per hour + holiday pay + other benefits.
Call Karen on: 01235 535 858 to discuss further or email you CV details through to k.bailey@paterson-recruitment.co.uk Paterson Recruitment —

Employment Agency/Business
Class 2 Refuse Drivers Wallingford £8.50 p/h
Our Client is looking for refuse collection drivers in the Wallingford and Didcot areas. Early starts will be common place as will be the opportunity for overtime. This position will be on-going with the possibility of becoming permanent. Immediate starts are available. Our client would also be interested in seeing candidates looking for temporary work.
If you are interested and would like more information please contact Darren or Kris on: 01491 202 020 or forward your CV to: Wallingford@secondsite.co.uk

fish4.co.uk/ls/nwqabdhrld/jo … xfordshire

Nice one Neil46,

I will check them out. I called that agency at my former employers and I might have an interview next week. He said he would call me back (anyone heard that before?)

I wonder who the class one works with, could be Tesco or Asda? The refuse work must be Grundons, they have a depot in Wallingford.

Thanks for the info, your a star… :sunglasses: :smiley:

I’m probably going to be laid off next week until further notice.

All because I asked why I was expected to work on Saturdays, but not get paid for it. :question:

Bacon Sandwich:

All because I asked why I was expected to work on Saturdays, but not get paid for it. :question:

EH ? - how has that come about?

ROG:

Bacon Sandwich:

A very good question Rog!

I should explain a little more for you. I drag containers out of Southampton for a cowboy in Tiverton. If you’re local, you’ll know who I mean.

About a month ago, he suddenly stopped paying me any extra for working on a Saturday so I told him that I wouldn’t be doing any more saturdays for him. Anyway, today I was given a box to take to Stevenage for the morning, back to Soton to collect another box for Monday. I phoned up my boss and asked if I was going to be paid for tomorrow. I was told that my truck hadn’t earned enough money for the week, like it’s my fault, so no, I wouldn’t be paid. He then said that 12 drivers are going to be laid off.

The implication here is that if I didn’t work saturday, my name would be on the list.

More fool me for staying here, but I’m not exactly spoilt for choice down here!

griff82 these any good?.

milton_keynes.goyocal.com/Result … n,ao,ap,aq

hope this site might help people :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

goyocal.com/Results.aspx?Keywords=hgv

Bacon Sandwich:

ROG:

Bacon Sandwich:

A very good question Rog!

I should explain a little more for you. I drag containers out of Southampton for a cowboy in Tiverton. If you’re local, you’ll know who I mean.

About a month ago, he suddenly stopped paying me any extra for working on a Saturday so I told him that I wouldn’t be doing any more Saturdays for him. Anyway, today I was given a box to take to Stevenage for the morning, back to Soton to collect another box for Monday. I phoned up my boss and asked if I was going to be paid for tomorrow. I was told that my truck hadn’t earned enough money for the week, like it’s my fault, so no, I wouldn’t be paid. He then said that 12 drivers are going to be laid off.

The implication here is that if I didn’t work saturday, my name would be on the list.

More fool me for staying here, but I’m not exactly spoilt for choice down here!

They can’t make you work for nothing. Have a word with ACAS, tell them the situation. If he then lays you off you have some ammunition for unfair dismissal?

ROG:

Bacon Sandwich:

name and shame them if drivers dont start fighting for themselves the job will go back 20 years :question:

still working at the moment though ive stashed a shell suit /trainers a bottle of buckfast a half ounce of rolling baccy in the cupboard for when it comes had trouble getting the pit bull in but its sorted . :laughing:

Looks like my luck has run out been on a 4 day week for the past fortnight had a disagreement with boss last night because truck hadnt made the weekly target not my fault working my balls off rates have been crap :imp: … He text me at 2130 last night saying no work tomorrow rang him 10 times today no answer dont know what to make of it … Anyone knowing of work in gloucestershire area please let me know .

truckeygar:
Looks like my luck has run out been on a 4 day week for the past fortnight had a disagreement with boss last night because truck hadnt made the weekly target not my fault working my balls off rates have been crap :imp: … He text me at 2130 last night saying no work tomorrow rang him 10 times today no answer dont know what to make of it … Anyone knowing of work in gloucestershire area please let me know .

ralph davis

Thanks JD would try them if i had my way but because of family comitments wife working shifts and kids need looking after couldnt work away but if nothing else pops up might have to go back up the road . Found a job this morning van driver required in Tewkesbury uk and european paying £5.65 AN HOUR :exclamation: .

Anyone know what Ralph Davis are like to work for?

I know they are a bit like Pulleyns in Reading where you are out for weeks at a time, but anyone know if the money is any good and what they are like to work for??

Cheers