Agency drivers, how you doing for work?

I jumped off a guaranteed 5 days a week placement due to the terrible job I was on, I put up with it for as long as I could but that’s another story.

The agency I’m with has been great with me since I ended up on the agency work almost through destiny in August 2011. Lately however it appears they’ve lost a couple of decent contracts (Asda being one of them). I’ve been working enough to pay bills but it seems work is very very quiet at the moment. So I think the time has come to get a move on and look for something more permanent and go back to doing something I want to do whereas I’ve been happy to do what comes my way. I’ve been calling a few company’s in Ireland (with me being in Liverpool) to see about getting back onto the European work, Anglo/Irish work would be ok for me but rather have the European. I’ve had a few people take my number and details but that’s as far as it’s gone so far. Time to get to out and put my face around a few places tomorrow I think.

The way I see the agency work during these quiet times is that if you can get either Thursday, Friday or Monday whilst working both Saturday & Sunday then it can work for you, problem with my agency at the moment (with losing work) is that that is not guaranteed !

How’s everybody else doing ? I’ve been off for 2 days after 4 days in and I’m bored silly !

Worked 12 hours for Warburtons on Monday, unpaid induction yesterday. Nothing today and tomorrow, booked in for Warburtons on Friday if the dustcart job is put back. TBF I did turn work down, the £7.50 ph job mentioned in the Crap Wage thread. I was busy on nights last week on chilled but with the weather and January being “a long month” restaurants are quiet.

done a couple of days a week
since new year.
missed out on 3 day block due to bumping car,
so not expecting much until end of Feb
so i will be having a few days away in Cornwall this weekend

Had all last week trunking up to Glasgow, day finished by 13.30, happy days. I had nothing for this week lined up at end of last week so sorted out a few loose ends. Got a call from agencey Monday morning asking if I could start with in an hour. As I had other things lined up I turned them down. So far this week I’ve had nothing And nothing lined up next week. Apart from that I have had 2/3 days per week since New Year.

Have been getting between one and three shifts and have been warned that it will be quiet until about March.

All sounds par for the course doesn’t it ! I’m ok with the money side of it, just bored silly in the house at the moment !

and dont forget its your duty to sign on the dole
keep the NI stamp up to date

Been getting the odd shift when I’ve needed one, but luckily the railway work I do is picking up nicely, so might not need much for the foreseeable

Where I’m at there are approx 60 day drivers, only 5 of them are company men, the rest of us are agency. I’ve been there coming up 3 years and apart from holidays i’ve worked Mon-Fri, Mon-Sat every week without a missed shift. All the agency lads there are the same too.

Having said that, the work has quietened off a bit, 4 lease units have gone back and a couple of lads have been stood for the odd day. I’m a tramper so haven’t been affected yet, and tbh I avoid going back to the depot whenever possible operating on a “out of sight out of mind” policy.

There’s sod all. I made 66 quid last week, and am currently eating a pot noodle for dinner.

And yes, I am being serious.

I’ve been getting 2 days a week all this month , by choice though, I work 4 days on 4 days off in dhl warehouse then on days off do abit of driving, until I’ve gained some more experience and can get driving full time, hopefully march ish ill be out the warehousing for good and on the road!

COOKiEEES!!:
There’s sod all. I made 66 quid last week, and am currently eating a pot noodle for dinner.

Jeezus that is dire mate :frowning:

You receiving any help ? Friends - Family, state ?

not had a day off soo far this month

Tescos are running us agency bods right to the wire with their 14hr30m in, and you’ve still got 25m to go getting back to the yard! :frowning:

I don’t mind 15 hour shifts, as I’m on record as saying. I DO mind however when it’s at short notice, and the start time is stupid o’clock like starting work when most other people are just going to bed… :imp:
Needs must though. In small doses at least. :neutral_face:

COOKiEEES!!:

Sorry, somebody had to do it. :wink:

Seriously though, I hope it picks up for you. Nobody should have to eat a Pot Noodle. :cry:

Flat out@ Tesco/Sainsburys in NI,
offered SIX nightshifts by Grafton both last week and this but I will only work max five shifts/week. :sunglasses:

I know Co-op Nottingham have been having at least 20 agency a day without fail which is very strange for January

2 weeks ago: Tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday
Last week: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, & Saturday
This week: Sunday, Monday, Thursday (today) so far …
It’s a little hit & miss, but after 10yrs+ at this game I’m used to the way it is, & it doesnt worry me
financially I stash around 25% of my income away throughout the year and build a pot up to see me through the quieter times. So I’ve been filling my time doing DIY & Im also looking at a few weeks holiday & now I’ve got time to spare, maybe rekindling a friendship with an old friend :wink:

I find I spend ages searching online for jobs on days when I’ve no work. Weekends are any other day since doing agency work, which has the benefit of eating out less, less shopping trips etc so not doing too bad when I add the savings to my wages. It’s the ■■■■■■■ about at home with the Mrs at work and son at his grandparents (incase I get work) that does my head in.

Only 2 days scince Christmas! Was meant to have a full week last week then got that awfull stomach bug and ended up ill all week! Back in on Monday and told I wasn’t needed again as I was un-reliable! Let the agency know every day by lunchtime that I wasn’t available for the following day so they had plenty of time to cover my shift. Then they ring at 7 last night asking me to work at 4 this morning. Had to tell them no as I have an interview today and had interview yesterday with the RAC to go on the vans. So probably won’t see any work from the agency now! Shant lose any sleep as so far, as I have posted before ,the agencies never deliver what they promise and are still putting drivers on their books when there is not enough work to go round! :angry: