How's everyone coping with the lack of work?

I’m in a situation where I’m working 1-2 days per week and according to my agency that’s as good as it’s going to get for the foreseeable future. I was due to get a contract at the end of my 4 week temp-to-perm period but the client company has dramatically shrunk their production, furloughed a large number of staff, pay cuts etc. etc. and aren’t hiring. Looking at indeed, totaljobs and the likes, the latest ads I can see for HGV drivers are from 16.03.2020, almost a month ago. Not even generic agency ads are being posted right now.

I’m not looking for another job for the time being as I really want that perm contract but with how things are going (or - not going anywhere), I’m thinking how long am I going to be able to sustain myself on savings alone if the work dries up completely (not inconceivable). What do you seasoned peoples recon are going to be the first sectors to recover once things get going again? Construction? Food/drinks? Pallets?

I’m ok as my boss furloughed me a week ago so I’m sitting at home on 80% pay
Been at firm 4 1/2 years
I will only go back to agency working as last resort

Its like being retired except for the handouts and or minimum wage…need to find things to do ( the wife will if you cant lol ) only problem is the lockdown in gorgeous weather…i miss my daily walkabouts around town.
but good luck fellas…and well done for waht you have done, or are still doing under imaginable circumstances.

There’s nothing stopping you going for a walk, just avoid other people

so far ive worked the last 2 weeks not as many hours and not a full week of nights out.but im taking each day as it is.heard from one of our drivers that site we deliver to in london with steel.some of them will start again next week so hopefully more nights out and work to.easter last year i work all day friday sunday and monday getting full 15hrs in to.but nothing at all this year.

The only safe work long term is in agriculture/food and support services that cannot be allowed to fail, ie water/sewage.

Almost everything else is a luxury, recovery could be years away, those with any money left won’t be ■■■■■■■ it up the wall when this thing ends (could be years away and the country/economy likely to nothing like we know it) don’t expect the country to hit the ground running.

Juddian:
The only safe work long term is in agriculture/food and support services that cannot be allowed to fail, ie water/sewage.

Almost everything else is a luxury, recovery could be years away, those with any money left won’t be ■■■■■■■ it up the wall when this thing ends (could be years away and the country/economy likely to nothing like we know it) don’t expect the country to hit the ground running.

More likely we’ll be just another vassal province under direct CCP rule like Tibet by then.

For the survivors.Expect something like the regime which our Burma POW’s were under except this time there will be no happy ending for those still around after the bomb was dropped then on the Oriental scumbags.

As soon as any semblance of a restriction is lifted in the uk the lemmings will be trying to book foreign beach holidays as an antidote for the lockdown, only problem is the infrastructure for package holidays is trashed and the economies of Southern European countries will take much longer to recover from this that our own

peirre:
As soon as any semblance of a restriction is lifted in the uk the lemmings will be trying to book foreign beach holidays as an antidote for the lockdown, only problem is the infrastructure for package holidays is trashed and the economies of Southern European countries will take much longer to recover from this that our own

Totally agree. If anything this has exposed how bad fully open borders can be.
I do not think the European Union will survive corvid 19.

The imminent financial meltdown of many EU countries will be the deathnail for it. I highly doubt Germany or France will be willing to bail fellow countries out and I suspect the same will be true for Holland.

I’m still maxing my hours on containers, as many nights out as I want. Worked today, in tomorrow. No Monday though as ‘its quiet’

Busy as usual.

Life on the grindstone does go on, despite what the government want you to believe…

Here’s what frustrates me the most: There is no end to this in sight. They say the measures will be relaxed/lifted when they see a steady decline in new infections. That’s not going to happen. I see every night and day all around people not adhering to these ‘measures’ - parties, BBQ gatherings, meetings, guests, people going out 50 times a day for shopping (to get a beer, then ■■■■, then something else, repeat next day etc.), visits (there’s 2 times more cars on my street than on a typical weekend). 2-3 weeks from now the nr of new cases/deaths is going to be at best the same but I suspect higher so when they review the measures they’ll say hmmm, no - we need to keep everything shut for a while longer until people eventually run out of money/savings and take to the streets/stores (like Italy) and that’s not a good outcome ultimately but that’s what’s might happen. One of my neighbours sells weed, there’s a constant stream of cars/visitors coming and going from his house. House next door had new family move in, a young couple, about a week ago. They’re having parties with other couples at night and BBQs during the day. Yesterday I saw plenty of traffic on M4/M5, a couple caravans, cars with bikes etc. etc. and those were the ones foolish enough to take the m-way where the cops were lying in wait. You’re going to stop people from going where they want and doing what they want - yeah, good luck with that. And that’s just the stuff I see with my own eyes. Manchester police had to ‘break up’ 1 000 gatherings and parties etc. but you’re not going to stop people partying with others at their own homes, lol.

It’s selfishness to the n-th degree. I don’t know if these things will work long term at all but at least we could’ve all given it a proper try for a month but nooo, restrictions don’t apply (to me) seems to be the attitude among the majority. I can somewhat understand people who work 5-6 days a week wanting to unwind on their day off but people just doing it because tehy’re bored at home (and many are due to get paid anyway) that’s just…typical, I guess.

Still working. I deliver too many old hgv drivers as they accept my packages. Keep buying online x

You can only take steps to protect yourself, the actions of others are beyond your control unless they endanger your life. Once they have spent last months salary the party lifestyle will die out as the novelty wears off and the cash dries up in those households and they have to tighten their belts to make ends meet.

[emoji24][emoji16]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I have been busy this last week and I consider myself to be lucky and I am loving the quiet roads and have been able to see a fair bit of the country this week, tidier too and peoples homes are looking better.

In the long term I see trouble for most, financial obviously, but socially it will be getting tense in a couple of weeks as people realise or think they are being taken for mugs and decide to do what they want and I cannot say I will blame them, you cannot change hundreds of years of habits, societal norms in a couple of weeks, impossible. So there will be friction soon.

Long term I feel we are just going to have to accept that some of us are going to die of this virus, but we die in our thousands of virus every year, in fact 600K die every year in the UK, so we are not doing anything differently, just that the media and a few politicians got scared and made the mistake of taking it seriously…When all the time we just needed to get on with it all, like we always have done, but in our current risk averse society, the drama queens and those quick and easy to scare seem to be in the majority, so we are all having to suffer these cretins and they will be ruining lives and enabling mental health conditions to take lives, perhaps more than a poxy virus in the long run, who knows, but we need someone who can quantify the figures and separate it all out to enable us to get back to a semblance of normality…Soon.

ETS:
Here’s what frustrates me the most: There is no end to this in sight. They say the measures will be relaxed/lifted when they see a steady decline in new infections. That’s not going to happen. I see every night and day all around people not adhering to these ‘measures’ - parties, BBQ gatherings, meetings, guests, people going out 50 times a day for shopping (to get a beer, then ■■■■, then something else, repeat next day etc.), visits (there’s 2 times more cars on my street than on a typical weekend). 2-3 weeks from now the nr of new cases/deaths is going to be at best the same but I suspect higher so when they review the measures they’ll say hmmm, no - we need to keep everything shut for a while longer until people eventually run out of money/savings and take to the streets/stores (like Italy) and that’s not a good outcome ultimately but that’s what’s might happen. One of my neighbours sells weed, there’s a constant stream of cars/visitors coming and going from his house. House next door had new family move in, a young couple, about a week ago. They’re having parties with other couples at night and BBQs during the day. Yesterday I saw plenty of traffic on M4/M5, a couple caravans, cars with bikes etc. etc. and those were the ones foolish enough to take the m-way where the cops were lying in wait. You’re going to stop people from going where they want and doing what they want - yeah, good luck with that. And that’s just the stuff I see with my own eyes. Manchester police had to ‘break up’ 1 000 gatherings and parties etc. but you’re not going to stop people partying with others at their own homes, lol.

It’s selfishness to the n-th degree. I don’t know if these things will work long term at all but at least we could’ve all given it a proper try for a month but nooo, restrictions don’t apply (to me) seems to be the attitude among the majority. I can somewhat understand people who work 5-6 days a week wanting to unwind on their day off but people just doing it because tehy’re bored at home (and many are due to get paid anyway) that’s just…typical, I guess.

Do you really think we are the only country where people are ignoring the lockdown as I seriously doubt it, far too many doom and gloom merchants like you about. Thank god I’m still working so I don’t have to sit on the internet all day spreading rubbish.

Furloughed on average pay for at least the next 4 weeks (company topping up gov payment).

peirre:
You can only take steps to protect yourself, the actions of others are beyond your control unless they endanger your life. Once they have spent last months salary the party lifestyle will die out as the novelty wears off and the cash dries up in those households and they have to tighten their belts to make ends meet.

No it won’t, they are so conditioned to putting it on plastic that they’ll keep doing it. The idea of saving for a rainy day is SO last year.

cav551:

peirre:

No it won’t, they are so conditioned to putting it on plastic that they’ll keep doing it. The idea of saving for a rainy day is SO last year.

Problem is there’s a whole raft of deferring the pain on a personal finance level. Mortgages can be stopped, credit card payments stopped, loan payments stopped, you can’t be evicted etc etc.

I’ve a mate who is still working, as is his Mrs, full time but he’s stopped all his bills “because its free money” he says. I try telling him nothing is free he’ll be paying more back overall but that’s a thing for later and he needs a new patio now :unamused:

I don’t wish hardship on anyone, but I’ve been prudent, can live a year maybe without an income which will clear my savings but hey ho… then I think why bother?