Understanding Licences Classes & Recommend School

Hi everyone,
posted a couple of threads on here and I’m seriously considering taking my test to buy my own Truck for my own construction company :astonished: . First of all it started as a Transit, then a Mercedes Sprinter, now I’m thinking of a fully loaded BEAST with HI-AB :open_mouth: , I’m just trying to research as much as possible and don’t want to be wasting my money as this is a big risk for myself and this is all the money I have.
I have only had a look on directgov and see that the category C1, C1+E 7.5 tonnes - 12 tonnes. After speaking with a driver who dropped some gear down the other day and he had a 24 tonne beast with a Hi-Ab and this is what I need really. So what category does this come under? I live in the low-emission zone so if I do get a beast I need newer than 2005 I think? Please advise me if I am incorrect here. As you can tell I am a complete novice and KNOW NOTHING :blush: .
Am thinking of doing it with this school:
College HGV/LGV Driving School
178 Crow Lane
Romford
Essex
RM7 0ES
t 01708 755557
Anyone used them? Are they recommended? I should phone them and speak with them but snowed under with work at the minute and the only time I have is weekend and evenings so trying to get your input first, then hopefully I get a minute or two in the day to give them a call.
Any recommended decent Trucks would also be appreciated :wink: .
There are a lot of questions here and greatful of any advice here :smiley: .

Dal123:
Am thinking of doing it with this school:
College HGV/LGV Driving School
178 Crow Lane
Romford
Essex
RM7 0ES
t 01708 755557
Anyone used them? Are they recommended?

collegeandco.com/html/mainfrmset.htm
There have not been any reports about them on this site so you might be the first to do so…

Licences -
B - up to 3.5 tonnes
C1 - rigid up to 7.5 tonnes
C1+E - rigid up to 7.5 tonnes with trailer over 750kgs
C = rigid over 7.5 tonnes (includes C1 but not C1+E)
C+E = every LGV covered

24 tonne beast with a Hi-Ab and this is what I need really. So what category does this come under?

C

Dal123:
a 24 tonne beast with a Hi-Ab

just in case you have not got one, don’t forget you need and operators licence for that truck and possible a operator certificate of professional competence if you intend to move other peoples goods

Thanks for your input chaps :smiley: , I thought category C+E, C was limited to 13 Tonnes?
With the HI-Ab a previous post of mine somebody said that there is no legal requirement to have any sort of HI-AB qualification/ operators licence etc, it’s just that some of the big building sites will want it is all, is this correct?
Are you referring to Operators Licence anything to do with the actual legal transport thingy? Or referring to the operators licence with the Hi-Ab?
Sorry for the amateur questions :blush: .
Thanks for your input chaps.

C and CE have no weight restrictions attached; C1E is limited to 12 tonnes. The operators licence mentioned is the “legal transport thingy” :smiley: which is required for vehicles over 3.5t when carrying goods commercially. AFAIK there is no specific legal requirement for Hi-abs although I stand to be corrected.

Cheers mrpj, so I have to do an operators licence also? How much is this you recon. Speaking with a driver last week he recons with this economic climate at the minute I should get it for around £1,000 as they’re competing for my money and want the work :smiley: .
Thanks for info chaps really appreciated :smiley: .

Dal123:
so I have to do an operators licence also?

Yes. The owner drivers on here will be able to help further with info about costs etc. :slight_smile:

An O- License for moving you own stuff commercially?

Ours at work (2 18 tonners and a 7.5 tonner) have only tax and psv disks in the window says o-license not needed as its our own material being delivered/collected; mabye I should look more into it myself but (companys) been doing it for years and had a few roadside checks and no problems

pete904ni:

Ours at work (2 18 tonners and a 7.5 tonner) have only tax and psv disks in the window says o-license not needed as its our own material being delivered/collected; mabye I should look more into it myself but (companys) been doing it for years and had a few roadside checks and no problems

you need an restricted operators licence for moving you own goods

WHO NEEDS AN OPERATOR’S LICENCE?
1.1 You need an operator’s licence to carry goods (or burden) connected with any trade or
business if you “USE” a motor vehicle on a road with:

• A gross plated weight of more than 3.5 tonnes; or
  • if it has no gross plated weight, an unladen weight of more than 1525kg.
    1.2 The use of vehicle combinations also requires a licence. Further details on weights,
    including relevant combination weights, are in Appendix 3.

WHAT KIND OF LICENCE DO I NEED?
1.7 An operator’s licence can be issued in one of three formats:

• Restricted
  • Standard National
  • Standard International
    1.8 To carry your own goods in the course of your trade or business you need a restricted licence.
    You must not carry goods for other people for hire or reward if you have a restricted licence. If
    you do, you could be fined and lose your licence.
    1.9 A standard national licence allows you to carry your own goods in Great Britain, AND to
    carry goods for other people for hire or reward in Great Britain. Even if you carry other
    people’s goods only occasionally, you must have a standard national licence. You can be
    fined if you use your vehicles for international hire or reward work when your licence
    covers you for national operations only. However, a standard national licence allows you
    to haul loaded trailers to or from ports within Great Britain as part of an international
    journey as long as your motor vehicles do not actually leave Great Britain.
    1.10 A standard international licence allows you to carry your own goods, and goods for other
    people for hire or reward, both in Great Britain and on international journeys. Operators
    who are issued with international licences will also receive Community Authorisations
    which are required for all hire or reward operations in, or through European Union
    countries. These have replaced the need for community permits, bilateral permits between
    member states and permits for transit traffic through the EU but not permits for travel to
    or through non-EU countries where these are still required. See Appendix 12 for further
    information.

pete904ni:

Restricted licences aren’t used in Northern Ireland :slight_smile:

Regarding the HIAB, I know a fair bit about these because I train operators on lorry mounted cranes (HIAB is a brand). The reason you may think you only need a crane ticket for big sites is because they are the only ones that as for it! The truth is that health and safety state you must receive training for all work equipment to ensure you are safe to use the crane. This normally takes the form of a one day course or an in-house test of some sort. Is not optional and to be honest it’s not expensive either, it the same rules for forklifts, chain saws, lawnmowers (when used at work).

All my info is from the HSC book called the provision and use work equipment regulations.