Class C wannabe

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hi and thanks in advance for any help I will definitely need from you guys. I too have been browsing this forum for a few weeks and reading all the information. I have been driving vans most my life and finally decided to do my HGV Class C, as i’ve always wanted to.

I’m in Nottingham and i’ve been looking at different trainers etc and some of them state “Pass in a fully automatic truck and get a full manual licence” Is it better to do this or ask to train in a manual truck so you know what you need to do if you get a manual truck for work etc? (gear wise) :open_mouth:

Thanks
Andy.

In my opinion just train in a auto (I had to do mine in a manual as I passed my car C a while back). A auto gives you less too think about on test and if you really want to feel what either a slapover is like or a 4 over 4 just book a refresher day after you pass. Both boxes are pretty simple though

Thanks for the advice ! :smiley:

Provided you passed your car test in a manual, you’ll get both if you pass in an auto truck.

There are that many different manuals and autos - you will train using only one of those many so how will that help after passing unless you just happen to get the same box for your first job …

As you are in Nottm then a local recommendation is easy = Peter Smythe one of the forum sponsors

I would still suggest checking out other providers before making a final choice

Have you checked out the link in my signature below ?

Andy88:
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hi and thanks in advance for any help I will definitely need from you guys. I too have been browsing this forum for a few weeks and reading all the information. I have been driving vans most my life and finally decided to do my HGV Class C, as i’ve always wanted to.

I’m in Nottingham and i’ve been looking at different trainers etc and some of them state “Pass in a fully automatic truck and get a full manual licence” Is it better to do this or ask to train in a manual truck so you know what you need to do if you get a manual truck for work etc? (gear wise) :open_mouth:

Thanks
Andy.

I did my training in a manual, but had a 4 hour lesson in an auto with another school. I found the auto harder to learn in, it seemed a lot slower to pull off in and made me loose confidence entering roundabouts and junctions. This wouldn’t be an issue for an experienced driver but for me as learner it was an issue.
The manual felt more responsive.

thehig:

Andy88:
Hi everyone,

Thanks
Andy.

I did my training in a manual, but had a 4 hour lesson in an auto with another school. I found the auto harder to learn in, it seemed a lot slower to pull off in and made me loose confidence entering roundabouts and junctions. This wouldn’t be an issue for an experienced driver but for me as learner it was an issue.
The manual felt more responsive.

Have to agree with that i learnt in manuals and the autos are a bugger to get used to with the slow response on the accelerator, but whatever you learn on youll get used to it

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Strongly suggest that you visit training providers before booking. There are many differences that can completely change your training experience.

In our case, turn up anytime between 0730 - 1730 and someone will always be there to show you around and give you any advice you ask for.

Cheapest is rarely best.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Arborist:
In my opinion just train in a auto (I had to do mine in a manual as I passed my car C a while back). A auto gives you less too think about on test and if you really want to feel what either a slapover is like or a 4 over 4 just book a refresher day after you pass. Both boxes are pretty simple though

This, learning a manual box later in a truck is a lot easier and smarter than trying to add that hurdle to passing the test…

And you’ll struggle to match Pete’s setup…

Best of luck! :smiley:

Do Auto at Pete’s ,Then askto drive a manual for 3 hours .i can recommend Tim.passed both my tests first time at Smythes with Tim ! .You might find cheaper
But none better !

I did my C in a Merc Axor auto.

I wasn’t especially concerned about the gearbox when I was looking at training providers. However, I’m naturally lazy erm… efficient with my energy… and would have chosen auto over manual if it came to it. Once I was actually in the truck and learning, I was glad it was an auto. Not having to think about gears let me focus on the rest of it, and enjoy driving it!

The box got confused only once for me, and it was my fault anyway. The revs were near the top of the green band (i.e. almost gear-change time), as I was going round a sweeping corner up a fairly steep hill. I gave it some extra gas, then lifted right off the pedal when I suddenly thought a lorry parked in a lay-by was actually parked in the carriageway, realised I was wrong and gave it gas again. So, it shifted up, then I lifted right off and the hill robbed some momentum, then I wanted power again and now it was in the wrong gear. It’s taken me longer to explain it than it took the gearbox to sort it out. :laughing:

My fellow trainee confused the gearbox a couple of times by bringing our approach speed to a roundabout down fairly late, then immediately wanting power, when he saw it was clear. So the truck hadn’t downshifted yet.

Novices make novice mistakes! A good instructor will be able to spot why you went wrong AND be able to explain how to avoid sed mistake in future.

I’m a fairly timid driver in my car though, so rushing for gaps isn’t in my driving style to “unlearn” anyway. I know my fellow trainee had a bit of an adjustment to make on that front, and remarked that the gearbox felt very slow, but his extra confidence paid off in other ways. We both passed with 4 minors, so both our basic techniques were fine whilst being different from each other. Now it’s “just a simple matter” of experience building finesse. :laughing:

Juddian would say: So you’ve met the “arsetronic” gearbox then! :imp:

And in most cases an auto box is slow, stupid and frustrating if you’re an ‘old hand’ & a purist :laughing: ,
Who enjoys the engagement of driving, just as he used to have ‘back in the day’ when he was driving an Eaton! :smiley:

Those of us that don’t have those now ‘outdated skills’ :wink: apparently don’t know the delights were missing.
Most of us in response to having to shift all day, everyday day, through a manual box would say; Can I just have easy please? :open_mouth:
And we got the arstronic… :unamused:

Although Volvo seem to have developed a great auto box, which makes the arsetronic even more annoying! :imp: