UH OH!!!!

I had a delivery to a building site in Nottingham yesterday. I found the place ok, up a steep hill at the end of a residential cul-de-sac. I reversed up the hill and when I neared the site entrance the back wheels began spinning. The road was dry, but there was a lot of gravel and sand on it. I rolled forwards a bit, and tried again, this time getting to where I wanted to be.

I had about 1.5 tons of mesh for them. I unstrapped and a 360 machine came out to lift it off. We got the chains on all four corners and he lifted it off. As soon as the weight was off, my lorry started sliding down the hill!!! :open_mouth:

I ran for the cab and climbed in. WHAT DO I DO■■?!!! THE BRAKES ARE ALREADY ON!!! I had my foot on the footbrake too, but still it slid, eventually coming to a halt 10 foot away from where I parked it.

Frightened the ■■■■ out of me, I can tell you. Still we all had a laugh about it afterwards. In future I will remain in the cab if unloading on a steep hill, even in dry weather as this could well have been a lot worse. I have never considered this could happen, though.

If anything similar happened to me whether gravel or snow etc would hope I had the presence of mind to run it straight into something soft but sturdy :wink: – and cheap :wink: :wink: Bet it woke you up though :smiley: :smiley:

I had a similar experience in a 6x2 rigid about 12 years back on quite a steep lane. I was handballing into a farmers shed so I lowered the rear air suspension and walked to the back of the truck. I had just opened one back door when the truck started to skid away. I could not make it to the cab in time so I did what I think most people would do in the same situation. I held tightly to the back of the truck. :unamused: :unamused: :blush: :blush: :blush:

After it dragged me 4 feet I soon realised my stupidity and let go. :laughing: :laughing:

It finally stopped about 60 feet away after demolishing a small fence. Apparantly when the rear air suspension was dropped, the rear lift axle hit the ground and started to take some weight off the drive axle so there was very little holding the truck back.

Lesson learnt, stick to artic work.

It’s at times like that,when you need to grab the emergency underpants you should be carrying.

Ken.

Of course if you had been wearing your Hi-Viz jacket then it wouldn’t have happend.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Colingl:
Of course if you had been wearing your Hi-Viz jacket then it wouldn’t have happend.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ROFPMSL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Quinny:
It’s at times like that,when you need to grab the emergency underpants you should be carrying.

Ken.

surely you must mean emergency hi viz under pants :wink:

I’ve had similar problems in the past. The legs on the trucks are supposed to lift the truck/chassis/wheels clear of the ground before leveling off. I’ve found to my cost when jacked up if it’s too steep or even too slippy the truck can slip down off the boards.

If it does get to that point then there is no way I’m working there, but sometimes it has to be proved to the onsite contractor before they sign off on the paperwork…

I’ve tried to get more stringent and careful at work. I have also picked up a nickname now of “spirit level” by some colleagues :frowning: :frowning: :blush: :blush:

dave:

Quinny:

Ken.

surely you must mean emergency hi viz under pants :wink:

I don’t think they would have been very hi-viz after the ‘incident’ though! :blush: