Two transport management jobs adverts & then we wonder w

TRANSPORT CO-ORDINATOR
An experienced person is required to organise the distribution of Plant and Machinery for four of our key account customers around the U.K.
The following key skills are essential to this new position.

• Ability to liaise with customers and drivers
  • A positive attitude
  • Accuracy is paramount
  • Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
  • Ability to work unsupervised or as part of a team
  • Computer literate
    All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
    A good remuneration is offered to the successful candidate who will be responsible to the MD. If you meet the above requirements please apply in your own handwriting, enclosing a C.V. to:

Also

have a vacancy for an Assistant Transport Manager/ Office Adminstrator. The position involves assisting in the day-to-day running of the vehicles and also various aspects of computer work. The successful applicant will need to be fully computer literate and able to work well under pressure. Please apply in writing to

I have left out the company name & details but these are jobs advertised in the local press & neither asks for any knowledge of HGV driving regs, the UK road network or anything that remotely resembles a knowledge of what the drivers job involves.

This is something that really winds me up do you have the email address so we could ask why a working knowledge of the transport industry is not nessesary when you are in control of a fleet? :open_mouth:

Well thats typical…did you expect to see that…most offices are run by college graduates without a hope in hell of understanding legislation…let alone put them to practice…just cos theyve got an ology doesnt make then any good at working in a transport environment...and yet with me ive got over 40 years experience on the road…CPC national and international…NVQ in office management… running and managing a 60 driver courier company on uk and european work…yet when i went for a job as a transport manager .they said i had no experience…what chance is there in this industry…
have a nice day

YOu got that one right truckboy, it’s a similar thing with hospitals, I heard the other day that one hospital hired a manager of Mcdonalds for their management expertise. Ummm correct me if I’m wrong but running a hospital or even a department of one is totally different to running a McDs restaurant.

Is it any wonder the NHS is in a mess?? Same with the above example, some snotty nosed graduate running a tranport fleet, you might aswell employ John Prescott :laughing:

take it easy out there

allrighty:
Ummm correct me if I’m wrong but running a hospital or even a department of one is totally different to running a McDs restaurant.

It boils down to profit/loss, thats all the Hospital trust needs the new Manager to understand. :exclamation:

Is it essential that every Manager the NHS is a trained Dr or Nurse & that every TM is an ex driver ?.
You can pick up Tacho law & knowledge of the road network in the same way you can management skill, or learn to use a computer system, from experience & training on the job, my problem with the above is that these posts are looking for office girls (or boys,) who they then call transport managers, but they they do not require, nor it appears will they be expected to learn, any knowledge of what they are managing even as a “desirable” skill.
Until every TM of HGV’s or PSV’s is required to have a CPC, (which even a truck driver has to take training to get,) then how can we expect to have a professionally run road transport industry.
Whilst office boys & girls are able to call themselves “managers” instead of what they really are, then the term Manager will remain a dirty word within the industry & like it or not there are some good TM’s out there & some of them may have started out as a Mc Donald’s manager before learning how to be a professional & competent TM.

I just had some minor damage repaired and sprayed by a mobile outfit (neighbour scuffed my car).

The chap turned up and I gave him a Tea (always treat workers decently - it doesn’t cost much, keeps them happy and you then get a better job/price into the bargain). Anyway, he then stood around for 10 mins. I asked him if he needed anything.

“Nope” he said, “I’m waiting for a new girl to come out from the office”

“Why, do you need to train her?” I asked.

“No, she is in marketing - but ALL new staff come out on a few jobs to see what is involved and so that they appreciate the time it takes and conditions we work in etc”

(It was bloody freezing that morning)

This is a wonderful idea - just send new TMs etc out on a few runs as mates - they will soon appreciate what it is like to be given too many drops, bads addresses, not enough time, crap equipment etc.

Hey Bullitt…you got it wrong…Russ got that job by lifting his shirt tail :laughing: :laughing: thats what i heard anyway…seems old bert reeves took a fancy to russ rather than to his wife rosemary :wink: :wink:
have a nice day