Becoming a Transport Manager

Hi Guys

I am new to this forum. I would like to get some advice if someone can point me in the right direction. I have completed my CPC in Road Haulage a few years ago. I would like to now take on work as a Part-Time Transport Manager but have no experience so I have a few questions:

1. What are my responsibilities and obligations (what checks will I have to make and keep a record of)
  2. What can i reasonably charge for my services
  3. What should be my time commitment per operator / vehicle
  4. How can I get clients
  5. Anything else you think i need to know

I would be grateful to anyone who can help me with this and appreciate any web-links, form templates etc.

Thank You guys

Sorry for kicking you in the teeth as soon as you walk in the door, but if you don’t know what you are supposed to be checking then you could find yourself in deep bullcrap very quickly.

There are unscrupulous operators who will pay you a substantial amount to sign the forms for them and act as TM, those same operators will pass you the buck when the TC invites you in for tea and biscuits.

There are “consultants” who offer this service and I have long campaigned for transport magazines and the like to stop carrying their adverts.

Trucknet like Blue Peter had this one prepared earlier.

viewtopic.php?p=216428

Click on the link above and see what others think.

Sorry Mate,

If you were going to be a really good Transport Manager you would already have the answers to the questions you put in your original post.

Good Luck, Al

Wheel Nut:
Sorry for kicking you in the teeth as soon as you walk in the door, but if you don’t know what you are supposed to be checking then you could find yourself in deep bullcrap very quickly.

There are unscrupulous operators who will pay you a substantial amount to sign the forms for them and act as TM, those same operators will pass you the buck when the TC invites you in for tea and biscuits.

There are “consultants” who offer this service and I have long campaigned for transport magazines and the like to stop carrying their adverts.

Trucknet like Blue Peter had this one prepared earlier.

viewtopic.php?p=216428

Click on the link above and see what others think.

Sorry, have to agree, surely having completed your cpc you must be able to answer your own questions, certainly questions 1-3?

As for question 4, I wouldn’t have thought that would really be a TM’s worry, thats what sales/marketing bods are for and as for question 5, how long have you got? A book on how to cope with stress, another one on how to deal with certain drivers, a book on how to be not only a TM but a Relate counsellor, mother, shoulder to cry on, tips on how to deal with some of the most unbelievable excuses known to man (because you’ll hear them all) but good luck with it anyway :laughing:

Dya:
Hi Guys

I am new to this forum. I would like to get some advice if someone can point me in the right direction. I have completed my CPC in Road Haulage a few years ago. I would like to now take on work as a Part-Time Transport Manager but have no experience so I have a few questions:

1. What are my responsibilities and obligations (what checks will I have to make and keep a record of)
  2. What can i reasonably charge for my services
  3. What should be my time commitment per operator / vehicle
  4. How can I get clients
  5. Anything else you think i need to know

I would be grateful to anyone who can help me with this and appreciate any web-links, form templates etc.

Thank You guys

From your post I assume you are looking to be the CPC holder for several small transport companies/owner drivers.

I suppose a good place to start would be to ask if you are a driver and do you know the regulations that drivers are currently expected to adhere to ?

Do you know what’s required to obtain and keep an operators license ?
Well actually it’s pretty obvious that you don’t so brushing up on that would be a good place to start :wink:

As has been stated if you have a cpc,you should know the answers to your question.You are responsable for a whole host of things.Have a look on the Vosa site for duties of a transport manager.

I suggest you contact me off site - i can enlighten you significantly to the ups and downs involved.
i would also love to have someone willing to help out in my office with catching up on the massive amount of paperwork drivers create along with the huge amount of paperwork VOSA require me to hold and review each week.
let me know - and i can introduce you to the thick end of the stick -
cheers
Steve

In my 20 years as a LGV driver all the transport managers I met were ignorant and unfriendly with no geographical sense whatsoever. If you have these qualities you should go far… :laughing: