Transport Manager's

Hi,I would like some advice on what makes someone a good Transport Manager(if they exist),

I am a newly qualified Transport Manager with a National and International CPC,Iam only 30 years old and don’t want to become that spotty idiot in the office that does not know what he is talking about,
I have a class 1 licence and absolutly love driving with a passion and I know what a hard job it is out there on the roads without any respect from the rest of the nation it may seem,

Please can you all give me a little advise on how to gain respect from the drivers that work with me? :slight_smile:

ASK a driver to… Don’t TELL a driver to…

I have tried that,they say what are you going to do if I say no,then I seem to be stumped everytime.

ryly1979:
I have tried that,they say what are you going to do if I say no,then I seem to be stumped everytime.

Say “Make your life a living hell, now do what you’re told!” :laughing: :laughing:

If the driver says it cant be done dont push him accept what the driver says he is the one out there on the front line

I am too nice for that :smiley:

Always listen to their point of view, you may not agree with it but listen to what they have to say, if you do not agree explain why, never ask anyone to do what you would not be prepared to do yourself & finally always be at the end of your phone 24/7 , when a driver has a problem he needs support, be fair but firm & you will gain their respect

Big ■■■■:
If the driver says it cant be done dont push him accept what the driver says he is the one out there on the front line

Aaaah but the trick is to try and suss out wether or not the driver is a billy ■■■■■■■■■■■ lol

can this run be done in 2 days?
Day 1
Start at Gatwick 8am
2 drops Birmingham Airport
1 Drop Aston
2 Drops Manchester Airport (can be done day 2 if needed)
Day2
1 drop Leeds Airport
1 Drop Rotherham (by2pm)
As the Driver I gave this to today said I was making him work too hard,Please note he also gets paid 1 1/2 after 8 hours so can be agood little earner

also I always work on the basis that I will not give a driver something that I am not prepared to do myself and I do do it myself on a regular basis

Steve-o:

Big ■■■■:

Aaaah but the trick is to try and suss out wether or not the driver is a billy ■■■■■■■■■■■ lol

Thats the knack can you trust the driver is being honest. Never tell the driver that if he does it that you will give him a early finish on friday because he will never belive you lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Green456, you have just described the way I do things but it still does not seem to work

Big ■■■■
I give all my drivers early finishes on Friday if they work hard all week

ryly1979:
can this run be done in 2 days?
Day 1
Start at Gatwick 8am
2 drops Birmingham Airport
1 Drop Aston
2 Drops Manchester Airport (can be done day 2 if needed)
Day2
1 drop Leeds Airport
1 Drop Rotherham (by2pm)
As the Driver I gave this to today said I was making him work too hard,Please note he also gets paid 1 1/2 after 8 hours so can be agood little earner

Have you any jobs going ? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sorry mate only have 3 vehicles and they are being driven by guys that all moan about the job but never do anything about it

ryly1979:
Hi,I would like some advice on what makes someone a good Transport Manager(if they exist),

I am a newly qualified Transport Manager with a National and International CPC,Iam only 30 years old and don’t want to become that spotty idiot in the office that does not know what he is talking about,

Please can you all give me a little advise on how to gain respect from the drivers that work with me? :slight_smile:

Firstly get your hand in your pocket on a Friday night when the lads are out for the session Noir, then tell all the drivers what the numptie did wrong and who damaged what. It will make the other drivers more careful and not want to be the brunt of next weekends (ribbing) entertainment :stuck_out_tongue: Well it worked for almost 30 years for me…

ryly1979:
Green456, you have just described the way I do things but it still does not seem to work

With the greatest respect to you, are you maybe a little bit of a push over? I don’t mean to sound nasty but being an ex driver yourself you’ll know fine well that many drivers will sniff out a weak one in the office and use it to their advantage.

Next time a driver acts the ■■■■ for no reason make sure to shaft him on a Friday then maybe he’ll think twice next time

Have you any jobs going ? LMAO

The problem I have is the guy running the Transport before me was not qualified and let the drivers go out with 5 pallets on an artic,now I fill it upto the back doors 90% of the time and they hate me for it, saying the old guy was much better at the job than me

Thanks for your comments,Steve-o I know i am a pushover I just don’t want to seem like a jobsworth this early on in my Transport career