Advice Wanted

Hi everyone,

My name is George and im a traffic planner for a company based at Appleton Thorn called North West Trailers…

I previously planned for Speedy Freight (Courier) & Currie Solutions (lets not go there)… :laughing:

I am 20 years old and Im looking for any help/tips/advice you can pass on to me to help me achieve my goal of being a transport manager… weather it be companies to get work off, tips for keeping drivers on side, and all general tips of the industry.

Cheers everyone :slight_smile:

Good grief!

I am not sure I can watch the way this will unfold…

Darkside:
Good grief!

Haha - dont know what you mean by that…

George_EFC:

You’ll see.

Only 20 and already on your 3rd company, but doesn’t say how many years behind a desk.
A major asset would be get a few more years under your belt of planning experience, and as much of an understanding of the haulage industry as you can, but from a drivers point of view, not the carrot up their arse desk jockeys.
Always remember your place, you may dish work out but it’s the driver who does the task, and if he has concerns take them onboard, they may help you both out in the long run.

PS it’s wether not weather :wink:

ditch the tight trousers and pointy shoes, and show respect to your elder’s and more experienced.
if the respect isn’t reciprocated have a word with your gaffer… hth

ETS:

George_EFC:

You’ll see.

I knew I forgot to pick up something from the crisp aisle
[emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897][emoji897]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grumpy Dad:
Only 20 and already on your 3rd company, but doesn’t say how many years behind a desk.
A major asset would be get a few more years under your belt of planning experience, and as much of an understanding of the haulage industry as you can, but from a drivers point of view, not the carrot up their arse desk jockeys.
Always remember your place, you may dish work out but it’s the driver who does the task, and if he has concerns take them onboard, they may help you both out in the long run.

Whether… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Remember trucks will average 50mph on motorway distance runs , around London they will average 11mph at best on a good day .
Get confirmation of opening times , delivery times and the delivery address. Don’t guess them , give reference details and on site contacts and if its an international number give the correct dialing code .
Tell drivers the truth and aviod giving bullcr@p and certainly don’t take any .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Lonewolf Yorks:

Grumpy Dad:

Whether… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Don’t you just hate it when that happens :laughing:

Darkside:
Good grief!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

20 year old traffic planner :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing:

At least any roads,land marks, or reference points will be current not like the old boy I had who gave me written directions in London using pubs that had been flattened in the blitz!

Give the lad a break, he wants to do the job properly, and he’s had the grace and humility to come on here and ask seasoned drivers advice, without bothering about all the potential repurcussions and abuse that could bring, so he sounds ok to me… :bulb:

@O/p…Ive had lads work for me in the distant past, and nobody ever left me, and I’ve been in this job (far too bloody long :smiley: ) driving…
So heres my advice and opinions on it…
How to treat drivers properly to get the best out of them…

ASK a driver to do something with a please and thank you instead of telling him.

Don’t tell drivers who were doing the job before you were born…
How long something takes to do.
Which way to go.
What time they will arrive.

Don’t hassle them on the phone, and NEVER ring them with a ‘‘Why have you stopped there’’ call, or try and push them.

Allow them plenty of time to get from A to B after discussing it with them prior.

On the other hand don’t let them get the better of you or take the ■■■■, you will soon suss out the drivers from the steerers, those who know the score, from those who are totally ■■■■ feckless who need to be told everything including when to wipe their own arses. :unamused: …NEVER treat the real drivers the same as those useless twunts, it just ■■■■■■ them off big style. :bulb:

Right…listen to the next bit from someone who knows, (or take no notice I aint fussed)
If you apply all I have said, the real and proper drivers will not take the ■■■■, but will be on your side.
They will respect you, co.operate, and if you are really good,… go that extra mile for you (both metaphorically and literally.)

Treat drivers like grown ups and they will reciprocate.

You reap what you sow. :bulb:
Good luck with it mate. :sunglasses:

grumpyken52:
Remember trucks will average 50mph on motorway distance runs , around London they will average 11mph at best on a good day .
Get confirmation of opening times , delivery times and the delivery address. Don’t guess them , give reference details and on site contacts and if its an international number give the correct dialing code .
Tell drivers the truth and aviod giving bullcr@p and certainly don’t take any .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Cheers mate - Taking every last bit on constructive information on board.

robroy:
Give the lad a break, he wants to do the job properly, and he’s had the grace and humility to come on here and ask seasoned drivers advice, without bothering about all the potential repurcussions and abuse that could bring, so he sounds ok to me… :bulb:

@O/p…Ive had lads work for me in the distant past, and nobody ever left me, and I’ve been in this job (far too bloody long :smiley: ) driving…
So heres my advice and opinions on it…
How to treat drivers properly to get the best out of them…

ASK a driver to do something with a please and thank you instead of telling him.

Don’t tell drivers who were doing the job before you were born…
How long something takes to do.
Which way to go.
What time they will arrive.

Don’t hassle them on the phone, and NEVER ring them with a ‘‘Why have you stopped there’’ call, or try and push them.

Allow them plenty of time to get from A to B after discussing it with them prior.

On the other hand don’t let them get the better of you or take the ■■■■, you will soon suss out the drivers from the steerers, those who know the score, from those who are totally [zb] feckless who need to be told everything including when to wipe their own arses. :unamused: …NEVER treat the real drivers the same as those useless twunts, it just ■■■■■■ them off big style. :bulb:

Right…listen to the next bit from someone who knows, (or take no notice I aint fussed)
If you apply all I have said, the real and proper drivers will not take the ■■■■, but will be on your side.
They will respect you, co.operate, and if you are really good,… go that extra mile for you (both metaphorically and literally.)

Treat drivers like grown ups and they will reciprocate.

You reap what you sow. :bulb:
Good luck with it mate. :sunglasses:

Appreciate that mate, I like to know how a driver likes it to be, end of the day if I ■■■■ them off, work wont get done.

Cheers for taking the time to offer advice.

One things for sure 3 jobs and only in your 20s that a good start youll be used to moving on after a few years by the time you get any experience.

Just a thought mate, if you edit your title to ‘‘Advice Wanted’’ or similar, you may get more feedback on the forum.
A lot of guys just introduce themselves as their first post under that 9r a similar title and I and many others tend not to read them I would say.

robroy:
Just a thought mate, if you edit your title to ‘‘Advice Wanted’’ or similar, you may get more feedback on the forum.
A lot of guys just introduce themselves as their first post under that 9r a similar title and I and many others tend not to read them I would say.

:sunglasses: Took on board pal thanks :laughing:

Trust. No-one.