Trunk driving.

Hi all. Just recently passed Cat C, having never driven anything bigger than a long-base luton van before, and am thinking of doing ‘trunk’ driving at night. Would this be a sound way for me to gain the necessary (seems almost obligatory) two year experience required, before any reputable haulage company will consider taking me on? Absolutely love the driving and can’t wait to get started! Am doing an FLT course at mo’, followed by an ADR, in the hope of hitting the ground running. Any ideas welcome. Plus any suggestions which company/agency to approach? I live in central Manchester. Also, what, precisely is ‘trunking’? Cheers. :smiley:

Hi i passed my classs 2 , just over 2 years ago so i,m lucky .

I live in Manchester also.

It is hard to find trunking on class to (basically driving from Depot to Depot , not multi dropping to various premises)

Driverhire take on new recruits (Chadderton,Stockport)
but if you want stay clear of multi-drop.
Make it clear to them you can only work nights (not many premises are open so its normally trunking)

In Middleton a firm called “palletways” are recruiting
8am - 5 pm Multidrop £350 p/w
They sometimes take on new drivers.

In my experience if you find a permanent job thats willing to give you a couple of days shadowing a driver.
Its much better experience than trunking.

Good luck,were in a good area for driving and its a good time of year for work :laughing:

p.s. i think adr will not be much help,being a new driver its hard enough to find work delivering boxes never mind dangerous goods lol.

think about saving for class 1 instead.

Just my thoughts with limited experience
others may guide you better

if you want to be a driver, i wouldnt bother with FLT. you might want to think about a moffett course though. FLT on a truck. ADR is only worth 50p and hour IF there is a difference. not all agencies offer a difference in which case you will never get your money back on it