Trucking in a WarZone...found me on YouTube!

Whilst surfing around on YouTube looking for some stuff on Bosnia I found this… youtube.com/watch?v=QhOC1E8x-08

2 minutes 58 seconds into the video…First Daf in the shot,behind the lead APC and the land rover, ITS ME :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Ok,you cant see my face but I remember the trip in and the film crews who came with us.It was the first humanitarian aid convoy into East Mostar,the Muslim side of the town. The place was lively to say the least,lots of sniper fire from the Croats on the West Bank along with some mortars launched pretty indescriminatley.

I,ve got hours of video footage from my time out there (92-94) all in the form of a video diary…but its all on analogue and havent a clue how to transfer it onto my laptop or disc.

Like a few chaps on here I want to write a book about my adventures,but havent a clue how to start!!

Sarajevo was the most sureal place of all…that place is worth a book all on its own. Have also got loads of pics in the garage somewhere, hopefully Mrs Santa will buy me a scanner / copier for xmas so I can post some on here. Could even do a sort of diary…hmm,now that would be interesting!! :laughing:

PS…Mods, if you think this is in the wrong forum feel free to move it.

bullitt:
Like a few chaps on here I want to write a book about my adventures,but havent a clue how to start!!

Try asking Coffeeholic for advice since he has done that and got the T-shirt

As for your analogue video, footage try looking for a Canopus ADVC100 Digital Video Converter, probably only available on eBay. There is a newer 110 version out there but the 100 is better as it locks the video and audio together prior to conversion. The others convert video and audio separately and then merge them back together after conversion - the problem with this is that often the soundtrack will be slightly out of sync with the images. BTW, if you do get an ADVC100 it will be an investment!! They only cost about £100 when new but since they stopped making them they cost more!

If you haven’t yet sent your letter to Santa, try and ask him to get you a scanner that also scans photo negatives. It can save a lot of developing to photo paper to then scan to an image format.

Sarajevo; because it is a distinctive shaped/designed city I dare say you would still recognise it, however, the improvements and repairs have made a big difference. We were last there in July.

Cheers semtex,seems like the best thing to do is just sit down and get on with it,put pen to paper and “let it flow”!! :smiley:

Marcus…many thanks for the info on transfering analogue to digital, found one on ebay so keeping an eye on it at the moment.

I have heard that Sarajevo is much improved, and intend one day to go back to Bosnia (sounds like a film title!!) and run the routes we used to use. …From Metkovic, passed mostar,Jablanica, into the mountains,over the Draganatz bridge onto Konjic (got a tale to tell about that place), then climb up again into the hills until Tarcin, then turn left and up into the forests,no roads just dirt and earth tracks from there until you get to Kiseljac. From there we picked up an armoured ■■■■■■ through the various front lines and check points into Sarajevo…then the real fun started!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Sniper alley, Dobrinja, on into the city. Got shelled, mortared, and shot up quite often…a very sureal experience and one not likely to be forgotten.

Is the newspaper building on the dual carriage way still standing,the one with just the central lift shaft and stairs still upright but all the floors each side collapsed down to the ground? I heard that it was going to be left that way as a memory of the War!!

Got my thinking head on now…will just have to get motivated to write that book!!

Cheers, bullitt.