Truckers remember them

In direct contrast to thier stereotype image, truckers from all over East Anglia were invited to a Remeberence Day Service. This is the third year we have been invited and the Rev Geof Brendling always makes us feel very special and wanted as does all of his congregation. This service not only gives us a chance to remember the fallen in all of the great wars and many other conflicts, it also gives us a chance to remember relatives and good friends that we all have lost over the years. Many thanks to Geof and all of the kind congregation at Taverham Evangelist Church.
“AS THE SUN GOES DOWN WE WILL REMEMBER THEM”

No doubt others on this forum will be attending a Rememberence Day Service today. It’s important that at a time when there are only 3 survivors from the 1st World War we ensure that younger generations do not forget the sacrifices made. A lot of us on this forum either know someone that served in the 2nd World War, or served in other conflicts such as the Suez or the Falklands. And of course the conflicts that are still in progress. Whatever we think on ‘the rights’ or ‘wrongs’ of these conflicts, people are giving their lives for others. Lets not forget.

Tiger.

It’s imperitive that we don’t forget.

Majority of you don’t know,that I read a news bulletin on the amateur radio network at 11am,on alternate weekends with a colleague of mine,and today is my day.

I will,however,be observing the 2 minute silence at the appointed hour,prior to reading the bulletin.

Lest we forget.

Ken.

I wear my poppy with pride but in keeping with the tradition here, only on the 11th, whatever day it falls on. I also buy and wear the French equivalent, the cornflower and buy that off the wife of the Chief of the local Ancien Combattants on the day.
We have a small village ceremony at the memorial and then retire to the village hall for ‘le vin d’honneur’ - drinks and nibbles on the commune during which one can chat to the remaining old soldiers, many of whom are veterans of the Resistance in this area. Very humbling.
My greatest pride is, if a fellow foreigner joins in, I am introduced to him/her by the Chief as ‘notre ami fidele’ (our faithful friend). This because I have attended every 11th November and also every May the 8th (Fete Victoire 1945) since I retired, as well as as many I could manage before that if not stranded somewhere else by the Bank Holiday driving bans.
The ceremony itself involves reading aloud every name on the war memorial, the singing of La Marseillaise and of course the one minute silence. It is delightfully local and amateurish, the singing accompaniment and fanfares courtesy of an ancient tape recorder balanced on the bonnet of the old Citroen from which it takes its power. In times of rain the operater has to lean over and shield it with his coat. :slight_smile: The reading of the names is especially poignant as many are recognisable, their relatives still living in the village and surrounding commune.

this is the closest I get to a ceremony :blush:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7459669.stm

but I wear a poppy to remember

Done my 2 min silence.

Respect to them all… :smiley:

Never forget.

Denis F:

This is all I get when I click that link :cry: What was it? :confused:

Cannot play media. Sorry, this media is not available in your territory.

Spardo:

Denis F:

This is all I get when I click that link :cry: What was it? :confused:

Cannot play media. Sorry, this media is not available in your territory.

it was a live stream from BBC News Channel ( the same as showing on digital tv)

it does say

The BBC News channel is available in the UK only. Don’t forget, to watch TV online as it’s being broadcast, you still need a TV Licence.

so I guess you won’t get it over there - maybe it will be on I-Player later

edit - some of it is HERE
hope that works for you David

I was shopping in Morrisons and they announced that there would be 2 minutes silence during which time all trading would stop. At 11 they announced it and the whole store stood still. A very pleasant surprise.

It was a good service attended by a congregation of 205. Not sure how many ECTC members, i’ll guess at 50. Little Enis made me laugh, but i’ll let him explain why :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Our control room held a two minute silence over the airwave and asked only urgent jobs be called in.Not sure if this was a national thing (i hope so) or just our control room manager’s decision.

MR VAIN:
It was a good service attended by a congregation of 205. Not sure how many ECTC members, i’ll guess at 50. Little Enis made me laugh, but i’ll let him explain why :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

You might guess our intrepid MR VAIN just gets every where. The very first hymn that comes up has the word VAIN in it, Eyes rolling I said to my wife in my best comedy vioce I DONT BELIEVE IT. Well done Rob and all of us hethen truckers who attended such a worthy service. By the comments on this thread looks like we all remember our heroes. GOD BLESS AND KEEP YOU ALL.

I played in a charity Rugby match last week, a Help for Heroes game and we held a 2 Minutes silence before that, there was alot of emotion and silent tears before that game…
We also had a 2 minute silence today at our Rugby club, ALL the youngsters, 200, plus parents (approx) observed it very well.

We will remember them

where i live Bedworth Warwickshire they do Armistice day
only about 5 places do

As every year, I went to the Remeberence Parade here in Washington. As every year there were serving members of Her Majesties Forces as well as local Army, Navy and Air Cadets, Scouts & Guides, together with representatives of the Emergency services, RAOB etc etc.

More poignant this year were the US Marines, visiting the birthplace of the First President, who also stood along side, at attention & wearing their Poppy with great pride, our troops!

I arrived in portsmouth yesterday afternoon (Sunday) after the service as the place im at is on the corner of the building (Guildhall) after id parked up, i walked round the corner to take some pics of the memorial

Good and poignant pics Kindle 530 , cheers.

Good pics Kindle

Thanks ,kindle the pictures are good,