Armistice day

Will you be doing anything for 11/11 at 11.00am I will be pulling over beforehand stand by my wagon

Don’t always have the opportunity to do that, but I will be on parade playing with my brass band through our town centre on Rememberance Day Sunday 10th, as we do every year - here’s hoping for a dry day!!

I make time every year I stop and I won’t let anyone touch my truck till the 2 mins are up

It’s a nice thought but there won’t be enough stopping places for everyone to do it.

Very much so always pull over and stand by truck listen to the last post. A real lump in the throat moment.
God bless them

Wouldnt it be nice if highways agency closed the roads for 2 mins trains stopped airport stopped

drivergraham:
Wouldnt it be nice if highways agency closed the roads for 2 mins trains stopped airport stopped

When I worked on the railways, the trains didn’t necessarily stop, but if a train did happen to be on the platform then we didn’t do anything with it for 2 minutes and announcements were made prior to the 2 minutes silence…

This is a great topic and I for one am pleased to see that after all this time people are taking the time and effort to stop and remember the fallen. I have to say though that goodness only knows what the fallen would have thought about today’s society - but that’s not for this topic.

I will be stopping to remember them.

I was working in a quarry last year so I stopped loading. Nobody complained except the ■■■■■■ hole running the bagging plant. Bawled out twice in the 2 minutes silence for some ballast.
The wife’s work is on the site of an old bomber training airfield, she says it makes it a bit more special when they commemorate it.

I think I’ll be asleep. Working into the early hours of Sunday morning at the mo.

well that is my Birthday actually, I will be wearing my Poppy, which believe it or not I have posted to me, every year from good old Blighty and I wear it everyday until the 11th. :neutral_face:

I try but I can’t always find a suitable place to stop or I lose track of time unloading. I go to the local parade every year though.
Just put £20 in a poppy tin and when the Legion man had calmed back down he tried to make me leave with half the contents of the table. He was so grateful I felt embarrassed I don’t feel £20 a year is a lot for me in the grand scheme of things.

will say a prayer for all the innocent people that were slaughtered in the illegal wars.

Hiya ever been to yepper in belgium…every night at 20.00… 2 to 3000 people every night of the year.
Talk about lump in your throat. last time i was their, their was a 90 year old lady laying a cross for her
twin brothers birthday.it’ll be a big reunion in France this year. i was at Normandy 5 yeras ago, their was so
much milartry gear it increadable, the trouble people go to.might try this year but all the camping will be
well full up.so yes always respect the fallen… well any one who served.
John

We have a fantastic weekend planned. On Saturday, we have around 50 Grenadier Guards coming over to dedicate a wooden bench to a former soldier who was murdered in Ireland. They will be joined later by about a hundred more for a reunion, bar, disco, live band and barbecue. Those who are sober enough will then march to our little cenotaph for the remembrance ceremony on Sunday. It is a pity the day falls wrong because 11am on the 11th day of the 11th month is what it is all about.

I got involved in the publicity of this through a friend and have made many more since that conversation, they are all much taller than me though. I might have to borrow a bearskin :laughing:

3300John:
Hiya ever been to yepper in belgium…every night at 20.00… 2 to 3000 people every night of the year.

Blimey, that’s changed since I first went there back in the eighties. I remember seeing them blow the Last Post under the Menin Gate and there were maybe seven or eight tourists and a handful of locals going about their business.

3300John:
Talk about lump in your throat. last time i was their, their was a 90 year old lady laying a cross for her
twin brothers birthday.it’ll be a big reunion in France this year. i was at Normandy 5 yeras ago, their was so
much milartry gear it increadable, the trouble people go to.might try this year but all the camping will be
well full up.so yes always respect the fallen… well any one who served.
John

I first went to ‘Wipers’ (Ypres) around 1983-4 and saw the ceremony as you described. Went back there in in 2006 with the father in law and feared it may have died off a little with the passage of time - not a bit! Just as big an event as before; really nice to see the respect kept up for it.

Just think, every one of those names on Menin Gate is those poor souls who were never found and so have no grave…

55 000 or so of them. And then there’s Thiepval on the Somme, with 73 000 more names. These are just the missing … The whole Western Front is still an amazing place, well worth a visit.

miked:
will say a prayer for all the innocent people that were slaughtered in the illegal wars.

Obviously you have a right to an opinion, and I don’t wish to derail the thread, but I think this is a subject beyond politics and arguments about right and wrong.

I have a great deal of respect for our armed forces. They do their duty without question, and always have done. Their feats have been incredible, these are the real heroes in my eyes (not that they would agree), not “celebrity” types like we see on TV etc.

When I wear my Poppy it also reminds me of my now passed grandad who had lots of stories to tell of his time in the desert and Italy. I only wish I was old enough at the time to appreciate what he was saying.

Good argument for a bank holiday to be introduced to commemorate the sacrifices that many have made on our behalf so at least everyone can have some time to reflect.