'Truck - Cross', and a request for help

Hi everyone. I’m new to this site but glad I found it. As an introduction, let me explain that I live in France, where there is a branch of truck racing called ‘camion-cross’ which seems unknown outside this country and also Portugal. It involves racing trucks on rallycross circuits, which you can imagine is pretty spectacular. Anyone who has been to the truckracing weekend held in October at Le Mans will probably have seen the finals of the ‘Coupe de France’ which is always held in parallel to the circuit racing.

My involvement with the sport is as a part-time freelance journalist. I’ve had a number of articles on the subject published, notably in ‘France Routes’, a professional drivers’ magazine. I also provide photos for the ‘camion-cross’ race organisers’ website. If you want to take a look it’s on www.ao2c.fr .

One of the great things about this sport is the atmosphere that everyone involved is part of one big family, rather like the truckers’ world in general. And everyone tries to help everyone else out. Which is why I’m writing this. One of the teams is desperately trying to find a MAN 460, which is becoming a rare beast, it seems. Out - of - service condition, but complete, and not a total scrapper. If anyone knows of one in Britain for a reasonable asking price, or any leads to how to find one, we’d really appreciate it.

Andy Kay

Andy,

I will keepa look out for a vehicle for you. Camion cross as mentioned is not popular in the UK and I have on a number of occasions tried to get a set of the regulations from France to see if it would be possible to get the sport up and running over here.

quote Redline Racing

“I will keepa look out for a vehicle for you. Camion cross as mentioned is not popular in the UK and I have on a number of occasions tried to get a set of the regulations from France to see if it would be possible to get the sport up and running over here”

Regulations (as dictated by the FFSA) are listed on the website to which I gave the link in my last message. (Written unfortunately in French, of course.) Other than the general outlines defining the four class categories and how motorisation, turbo mods, etc. can be used, most of it is in respect to safety. Despite what one may initially think, ‘Camion-Cross’ is not some sort of banger-racing. Nearly all the teams make the annual pilgrimage to Portugal (at the Lousada circuit). I’m sure that anyone from Britain interested could come to one or two of those in northern France next year !

Thanks for the initial response, and remember it’s a MAN 460 I’m looking for…
AK

Andy, welcome to TN, glad you followed my pointed finger :laughing: . I hope you get the result you want, but tell me, why are you so specific about a MAN 460? :confused:

tell me, why are you so specific about a MAN 460?

OK, I’m looking out for one of these on behalf of one of the teams I’m particularly close with. The driver is currently running an old and venerable MAN in standard class, a category which is very restricted in terms of permissable modifications to the engine according to the regulations. As the sport progresses it becomes yet more competitive, and his racer is now becoming underpowered compared with machines being run by newcomers. He wantas to remain with MAN because he gets a certain amount of help from the local dealership and uses their workshop facilities. And the MAN 460 was (in its time) the most powerful of the range in standard form… :sunglasses:

All the best, and any leads appreciated,
Andy