Tramping

Hi,

I know this should be in the new and wannabe drivers section but I thought i’d get a better answer here.

I’m thinking about getting into driving and just wanted to get a better idea about tramping as in whether
you get much hassle from idiots and so on?Is it fairly safe?

Thanks

Hi Kenzo,
Trampings fairly safe, there’s plenty of safe areas to park, ie truckstops, ind’ est. As long as you keep away from known bad areas and some known laybys, you’ll be fine. Just ask any lorry driver on your travels about decent places to park and they’ll tell you their faves plus have a good look around when your on ya travels… I tend to park on ind’ est’s near local amenities or near retail parks, which are decent for supermarkets and eateries. Hope this helps… :sunglasses:

Kenzo:
I’m thinking about getting into driving and just wanted to get a better idea about tramping as in whether
you get much hassle from idiots and so on?

Unfortunately, yes - your controller/planner will still be ringing to see why you’re not somewhere else. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

There are always idiots, but you get to know the best places to stop. Some people prefer lay-byes etc, while others prefer truck stops and services. Nowhere is really secure, but it’s generally your load the ne’er do wells are after - not the driver.

Try it - you’ll know very quickly if it’s for you, and if it is - you’ll struggle to be happy doing anything else. If it isn’t for you, you won’t be able to get away quick enough. It’s the marmite of driving jobs :smiley:

Should be ok if you dont park in msa’s or truckstops, guaranteed to get robbed and infected with the bubonic plague in them places

I dont do much tramping now (just a couple of nights out per week) but in the past I was away for weeks or even months.
Ive parked in all sorts of places without any hassle, however I try to follow my own couple of rules…

1. Safety in numbers, if theres a couple of trucks parked up its usually fairly safe, plus if you do have problems a good old blast on the horn SHOULD alert someone.

2. If you’re empty or have a non stealable load (large bags of aggregate, wood, etc) open the back doors when parked up…it MIGHT save the scum from slashing the curtains.

3. If they want it, let them have it (unless its ■■■■■■ obviously :smiley:…although in certain circumstances…)
    Theres no such thing as a dead or injured hero, and the loads insured anyway.

In 28 years of driving HGV1 both here and abroad ive only had 2 instances of damage, one must have got the shock of his life when he slashed through the curtain because he slashed through the tonne bag of plastic granules as well :smiley:
The other was a curtain slashed on empty trailer with both doors open on Watford Gap services :unamused: