Class 2 tramping

Hi all
New to site but not driving
Been driving local for a fair few years now but have recently started a new job where I tend to have a lot more nights away.
Just need a little advice on where to park up etc.
Many truck stops / services are either very full and very noisy.
I won’t stop in lay byes but have stayed on a few industrial estates .All have seemed ok so far but I know some can be risky. Anyone got any deffo no stops off places .
I know Edith area can be a tad dodgy for starters .
Or any good tips on where to stay
Happy trucker

Happy Trucker1:
Hi all
New to site but not driving
Been driving local for a fair few years now but have recently started a new job where I tend to have a lot more nights away.
Just need a little advice on where to park up etc.
Many truck stops / services are either very full and very noisy.
I won’t stop in lay byes but have stayed on a few industrial estates .All have seemed ok so far but I know some can be risky. Anyone got any deffo no stops off places .
I know Edith area can be a tad dodgy for starters .
Or any good tips on where to stay
Happy trucker

Tbh mate, nowhere is ‘safe’ as such these days, you just need to park up as safe as you possibly can, trying to cover yourself for potential risks.
Imo lay bys are a no no, maybe unless they are well lit up, they are absolute last resorts for me personally.
If it’s a deep lay by, with a verge try and avoid parking with your tank adjacent to the hedge, these scrotes have a habit of going in the field and running a pipe through,…and always avoid empty and remote lay bys.

Always leave back doors open to show there’s nothing worth nicking, or that you are empty.
I leave passenger window open a couple of inches, both for ventilation and for the off chance I’ll hear anybody up to no good…
If you do hear anybody, NEVER get out and confront them, you don’t know how many there are, or what they’re carrying, …you ain’t paid enough to get a hammering or stabbed.,.and you AINT a security guard :bulb: (despite all the bull crap from the day men on here. :unamused: )

Ask some of the experienced drivers where they park…some may be reluctant to tell you in case they think you are one of those arse holes who leave all their rubbish and crap behind them, spoiling it for everyone else.

If you see somewhere decent to park, on an ind est near some facilities, pub, toilets,.cafe etc, mark it down in a book for future reference.

Uou will soon find your own places, and don’t be afraid to go slightly off route to get to them,.and when you do find a few, be selective who you tell about them, for the reason I pointed out.
Also, you could always ask on here for parking places in certain areas…

avoid laybys if possible. as once your parked there your kind of stuck in your cab nothing to do once parked up.

head for industraiul estates or places where you can stop get out go for a walk stretch your legs .
not so helpfull these days . but most estates tendto have some kind of pub within walking distance . handy for your tea. or just to head to have yourself a cold drink alcohol or non alchohol.have a decent sit down change of scencery from being in your truck all day

best way is places your deliver to look round the estates you go if theres cars parked on the roads no double yellow lines and place seems safe enough make a note of where it is . keep a notpad of places that seem good enough to park.

you can genereally tell if the estate looks run down all boared up units etc then obv wouldnt really park there

just keep your eye open on your travells and make a note of places that seem likley then if your in that area your have an idea.
or worst case if your in an area you dont know just google industrial estates neaer you and have a look.

or just type into google hgv parking near what ever area your in . and usally find a link to places to park.

Thanks guys
Your advice just confirms my thoughts on where and where not to stay.
Just nice to get thoughts from people more experienced than myself.
Thanks

There’s a good group on Facebook called Safe parking and postcodes and truck stops ind est, you’ll find lots of info and help on there.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks wrighty

If your employer has an account with SNAP , you don’t pay out your pocket to park , just check in with your number plate and that’s it, numerous sites all the UK from transport yards to an ex WW2 airfield near Worcester at a haulage firm , for noisy places I suggest foam ear plugs , free from factories where you deliver to or from builders merchants.
SNAP also have truck washes on account.
When my driving or working time is about an hour away from ending, that is the time to exit the main routes to find suitable parking, or when out and about note down the decent places.
Before Covid, drivers would use leisure centres and swimming pools to get a free shower.
Most take away outlets now deliver food to the cab door, such as Crewe truck stop, ask the security man for the flyers .
If too noisy I would have the cab radio on all night .

wrighty1:
There’s a good group on Facebook called Safe parking and postcodes and truck stops ind est, you’ll find lots of info and help on there.

Ran by Julie Charles.

Ken.

The Government did a survey into lorry parking in 2017. They actually went out on a few nights and counted parked up trucks and where they were parked.

Long story short there were over 18,000 lorries trying to fit in 15,000 spaces, the remainder ending up on industrial estates and in laybys. Once you got to the Midlands and towards the South East truck parking was at >85% utilisation at truck stops and service stations which the survey classed as being full as due to the size and space needed to manouvre a lorry any available spaces were likely to be unusable.

Tarmaceater:
If your employer has an account with SNAP , you don’t pay out your pocket to park , just check in with your number plate and that’s it, numerous sites all the UK from transport yards to an ex WW2 airfield near Worcester at a haulage firm , for noisy places I suggest foam ear plugs , free from factories where you deliver to or from builders merchants.
SNAP also have truck washes on account.
When my driving or working time is about an hour away from ending, that is the time to exit the main routes to find suitable parking, or when out and about note down the decent places.
Before Covid, drivers would use leisure centres and swimming pools to get a free shower.
Most take away outlets now deliver food to the cab door, such as Crewe truck stop, ask the security man for the flyers .
If too noisy I would have the cab radio on all night .

Where and who is this Worcs haulage firm bud?