training cost?

how much does it cost for a weeks training, test, etc. for a hgv C and is it worth booking C+E at the same time
tried a search but not had much luck so all grateful for all replies.
if its any help i have a full PSV so used to driving large stick shift vehicles

ash_410:
how much does it cost for a weeks training, test, etc. for a hgv C and is it worth booking C+E at the same time
tried a search but not had much luck so all grateful for all replies.
if its any help i have a full PSV so used to driving large stick shift vehicles

That MIGHT be a clue that you are not originally from the UK as we usually say MANUAL :question: :question: :question:

EXCLUDING medical, theory & Initial driver cpc - so just the module 3 on road training & test, I would say anything from £800 to £1,000 for a 5 day course (1 to 1 half days or 2 to 1 full days)

For EVERYTHING (from medical to passing C+E) I would say you need to have £3,000 handy in case of a couple of retests

These are ESTIMATES so do not take them as FACT

Booking dual C and CE may get you a discount from some providers but shop around as it may be cheaper to book seperately.

A provider will not book a CE course for you until you have your licence back from DVLA after passing C as DVLA can get behind at times… you need the licence to show the examiner on test day

From my experience, It will cost you about £950 (ish) for the Class 2, then same again for Class 1. As ROG says have about £3000 ready if you want to do both in case of resits. My Class 1 resit cost me £300 alone :open_mouth:

thanks for the replies. i am contemplating a career change, after working over 20 years in a bakery there may be a chance of voluntary redundancy. i used to drive buses/coaches part time so am thinking of training and taking my class C and then looking for a job while bus driving :wink:
ps sorry for calling it “stick shift” force of habit :confused:

I’d say around £3000 is an average with a not unrealistic upper limit of around £5000 if your going from car to C+E and require initial cpc, dont forget to include theory medical and your expenses in travelling to your training provider for assesments, training and test/s. As for £950 courses thats certainly towards the lower end these days.

i already have provisional HGV as i applied for both HGV and PSV at the same time just never got around to learning in HGV :wink:

For me the costs were…

£49 - Medical
£35 and £15 - Theory and Hazard Perception
£1299 - Package with C and CE training course
£283 - Cat C retest
£283 - Cat CE retest :frowning:

ash_410:
i already have provisional HGV as i applied for both HGV and PSV at the same time just never got around to learning in HGV :wink:

No medical for you as it is already covered by your PCV

ash_410:
i did my PSV nearly 15 years ago

then you will have a C1 LGV already so you will only need -

Module 1a theory questions - multiple choice - LGV THEORY BOOK and/or training by LGV school
Module 1b HPT - HPT DVD and/or training by LGV school
Module 3 practical drive - Training for this by LGV school.

All the theory & CPC books/CDs in one package

If I were you I’d ignore all the above. Simply go to the recommended trainers section, book assessements and get your answers.

And if you really expect to pay £5k you’ll find my number on the website! :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
If I were you I’d ignore all the above. Simply go to the recommended trainers section, book assessements and get your answers.

kind of defeats the object of a forum though :unamused:

kind of defeats the object of a forum though

I just think that there are so many variables that well intentioned replies could be misleading to the point that the guy gives up.

Still think the forum’s great overall :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
I just think that there are so many variables that well intentioned replies could be misleading to the point that the guy gives up.

They will always be variables just as there will always be averages.

Car to CE for £500 - or car to CE for £10,000
either is possible but not very [ZB] likely :exclamation: :exclamation:

When a member asks for a price they are asking for an average and in most cases that is what they will get - the best informed average cost that members can give :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

As you rightly said - if they want a more precise cost then contact as many schools as possible - but then those prices are unlikely to be exact for the TOTAL cost as retests may be required.

I don’t know of any member or any LGV training school that will say - it WILL cost you X amount, no more no less, to attain the licence you seek…

OK, I give up!! I was only trying to make the point that the best place for information on prices etc is probably from the supplier - - especially in this particular case which is far from “average”. :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:
I don’t know of any member or any LGV training school that will say - it WILL cost you X amount, no more no less, to attain the licence you seek…

Now then ROG, I seem to remember a fixed price scheme… the words ‘guaranteed pass’ are your clue. :wink: :grimacing: :stuck_out_tongue:

ROG:

dieseldave:
Now then ROG, I seem to remember a fixed price scheme… the words ‘guaranteed pass’ are your clue. :wink: :grimacing: :stuck_out_tongue:

I seem to remember that a number of those schemes also had a restricted number of retests …