info please

this one is possibly for ROG or someone similar

My cousins boyfriend wants to do his HGV. (Ive tried putting him off but he insists :unamused: :unamused: )

Ive had my C+E for over 20 years so i’m out of touch with training for test.

Can anyone tell me how much on average it costs to take C licence and then C+E. (ballpark figure will do just so he has an idea)

Average length of training (i know this could vary enormously depending on attitude,ability,etc)

What timescale between taking C then C+E

Anyone know any decent (or even half decent :wink: )training schools near to Crewe

Also any other info you think may be relevant

Thanks

toowise:
this one is possibly for ROG or someone similar

My cousins boyfriend wants to do his HGV. (Ive tried putting him off but he insists :unamused: :unamused: )

Ive had my C+E for over 20 years so i’m out of touch with training for test.

Can anyone tell me how much on average it costs to take C licence and then C+E. (ballpark figure will do just so he has an idea)

Average length of training (i know this could vary enormously depending on attitude,ability,etc)

What timescale between taking C then C+E

Anyone know any decent (or even half decent :wink: )training schools near to Crewe

Also any other info you think may be relevant

Thanks

I’m no expert but in my opinion:

1. About £1200 for C and the same for C+E. You probably wont spend it all but it includes reserve funds in case he doesn’t pass first time (I paid £950 for my C+E last year)

2. Roughly 20 hours training (including test). Some people do full days training but I would recommend half days as it quite tiring.

3. You can start C+E training as soon as you get your licence back from DVLA (about a week).

4. Can’t help on school details - try searching the new + wanabee board.

Hope that helps - I’m sure someone more knowlegable will give further info.

Just done it myself, and Madtrucker’s figures are about right.

A week for each class, full days 2 trainees in the cab seems to be best for a lot of people.

cheers

i’ll pass it on to him.

Might make him a better driver taking HGV lessons. hes just driven down our street in his old Vauxhall Ashtray with the bassbox booming and screeched to a halt behind my old Fred ■■■■■■ (the one i use for work) leaving about an 1/8 inch gap. Ahhh well :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

with driving like that has he considered van driving?? :stuck_out_tongue:

madtrucker:

1. About £1200 for C and the same for C+E. You probably wont spend it all but it includes reserve funds in case he doesn’t pass first time (I paid £950 for my C+E last year)

:open_mouth: JEEEZ !!!

Is that EACH ?

Potter:
with driving like that has he considered van driving?? :stuck_out_tongue:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Probably TOO good

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dambuster:

madtrucker:

:open_mouth: JEEEZ !!!

Is that EACH ?

Yes, that’s a grand EACH in most places.
My full C+E will have cost me nearly 3 grand in total with restests and credit charges.

Shocking the prices now i paid £60 for my medical got the doc to sign passport photo at same time (saved me another £60) sent off for my passport then used that to get my photo licence.

I think my theory was £30 but i cant really remember

My class C cost me £450 + test fee (was that £60 [zb]ing hell my memory is [zb] ) in 2000

My class C+E cost £550 + test fee £60 in 2005

So thats:
£60 + £30 + £450 + £60 + £550 + £60 = £1210 all in, thats half what it’d cost me now by the sounds of things

please correct me if im wrong about theory and test fees as im not sure about them

Seems like it’s cheaper in wales…

My class 2 cost me 1200 with one retest included in 2003 over on the east coast.

abowt £1800-£2000 on average for both but it depends on if you pass 1st time are not.

i did my class 2 in November last year and it cost me £897 for a weeks training (3 hours a day 1-2-1 and test on the friday) . that wasnt including the medical (got that free from being in the forces :laughing: ) and the theory test (i think that cost about £32 but i may be wrong).

i have just booked my class 1 for june and it has set me back £999. that is again for 3 hours a day mon-thurs 1-2-1 training with test on a friday. i’m also thinking about taking out the “test insurance” for £385. if you fail it you get three chances of restests with an hour of instruction/refresher training prior to your test. didnt bother with the insurance doing class 2 as i was quite quietly confident and it paid off as i only got 6 minors.

and thats in the expensive south!!! :laughing:

C Driver Training

Training WK Days 6@ £120.00
Training WK Ends £140.00
Medical By appointment £40.0
Theory Test £32.00
Assessment £15.0
Pracitical Test WK Days £89.00
Pracitical Test WK End £107.00

C+E

Training 6@ £130.00
Assessment £15.00
Test £89.00

I was just offered c+e training for the price of the diesel + test fees by my mate… can’t do it cos I just paid for new windows & work has dropped off = totally skint! Gutted.

Well, now I fully understand when I hear/see people moaning about it.

That’s really opened my eyes. I’m glad I let the tax payers pay for mine as a de-mob course.

Is it not still availale as a de-mob course Giblsa ?

it is mate but i dont leave for another 4-5 years and want the magical “2 years experience” from driving while in the navy :wink: if you now what i mean?

plus the navy wont pay for it but they might be sending me on a dangerous goods advisors course and maybe, this is a big maybe, my ADR for explosives.

but that also depends on my medical board on thursday as well!

Dosn’t matter how much you pay. You can claim it back through the tax man. ask for form p87.
They will send you a booklet which explains that you can claim for any expenses which advance your career.
make sure that you photocopy the section about career advancement and staple it to the form. daft i know, but this form is normally used for mileage allowance and some of the assessors don’t know all the rules so they could knock you back.
i got knocked back twice until i did this.
you can go back six years.

limeyphil:

A bit too late for me then :blush:

It would have been fun to try get it twice.

I employed a little “dodge” and actually paid for it myself, then reclaimed it from the Army.

But that was a loooong time ago :blush:

limeyphil:
Dosn’t matter how much you pay. You can claim it back through the tax man. ask for form p87.
They will send you a booklet which explains that you can claim for any expenses which advance your career.
make sure that you photocopy the section about career advancement and staple it to the form. daft i know, but this form is normally used for mileage allowance and some of the assessors don’t know all the rules so they could knock you back.
i got knocked back twice until i did this.

Does this apply if you’re employed (i.e. on P.A.Y.E.) or is it for self-employed only.

Doesnt affect me personally (passed over 20 years ago, and Post Office paid for it) but i will pass info onto work mates.

Does this apply if you’re employed (i.e. on P.A.Y.E.) or is it for self-employed only.

It’s for P.A.Y.E. not a self employed thing.

you can claim for everything if it’s work related. digi card, boots, gloves. etc