Traffic lights on roundabouts

Am I the only one on here that thinks that lights on roundabouts are a bad idea, the main reason for a roundabout is to ease and maintain traffic flow on busy junctions, traffic lights interrupt the flow contradicting the reason for the r/a in the first place, I thought about this the other day on the r/a which joins the A66 and A6 at Penrith,( lights have just been put on there.) Is the main reason for them to solve the problems caused by the large amount of drivers that don,t bother to signal before their exit, causing waiting vehicles to wait even longer before they try and get out which goes on to cause more traffic build up, it,s the only explanation that I can think of.

on some roundabouts the traffic is going so fast it can be a problem pulling out, eg a50 a38 at branston nr toyota.
At some times of day (shift change,rush hr) lights would help

This was discussed in the pet hates thread recently but I agree with you. They should at least turn them off between 8 and 6 imho. The new ones at J27 M62 ■■■■ ME THE [ZB] OFF. I HATE THAT JUNCTION NOW. Give me the old roundabouts back where you had to dive for gaps in the traffic, it flowed much better imho. Same for M1 J41 as well. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

robroy:
Am I the only one on here that thinks that lights on roundabouts are a bad idea, the main reason for a roundabout is to ease and maintain traffic flow on busy junctions, traffic lights interrupt the flow contradicting the reason for the r/a in the first place, I thought about this the other day on the r/a which joins the A66 and A6 at Penrith,( lights have just been put on there.) Is the main reason for them to solve the problems caused by the large amount of drivers that don,t bother to signal before their exit, causing waiting vehicles to wait even longer before they try and get out which goes on to cause more traffic build up, it,s the only explanation that I can think of.

Never really thought about it but you make a good point

slighty off topic, but they should educate more car drivers about roundabouts. seems you now have to fully stop and at a roundabout, even if its clear there is nothing coming :imp: :unamused:

putting lights on the roundabout at the griff island at nuneaton has cut the queues down dramatically at busy times but is a bit of a chore at 3am.

stuartrobbie:
slighty off topic, but they should educate more car drivers about roundabouts. seems you now have to fully stop and at a roundabout, even if its clear there is nothing coming :imp: :unamused:

I don’t even do that at ones with red lights at them on my way home from work at 4 o’clock in the morning. I just treat the reds as optional at that time of day.

Coffeeholic:

stuartrobbie:

I don’t even do that at ones with red lights at them on my way home from work at 4 o’clock in the morning. I just treat the reds as optional at that time of day.

:open_mouth:

Coffeeholic:

stuartrobbie:

they do that round here as well…
new lights on the roundabout at felixstowe dock spur which have road sensors which turn the lights to green pretty quick…

Coffeeholic:

stuartrobbie:

This /\ +1, At 4.00am going to work, the motorbike won’t trigger the light sensors in the road so you would have to wait however long it is before the next vehicle comes along behind you for the lights to change.
Didn’t the goverment say they were going to turn them off at non peak periods?

The main problem is that many roundabouts are too large which enables traffic to drive too fast, they should put a chicane in before each junction :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
The main problem is that many roundabouts are too large which enables traffic to drive too fast, they should put a chicane in before each junction :stuck_out_tongue:

This^+1 Lights are necessary on larger doughnuts! Look at the ones along the North Circ at the A10 and at Waterworks! 5 exits and car drivers all in the wrong lanes! :laughing:

It used to be an offence to stop on a roundabout! :unamused:

Coffeeholic:

stuartrobbie:

Coming back home from Coventry , M69/A5 junction. Car in front of me at 3 am went through the reds lights . Behind me unmarked copper. Over took me then pulled him round corner

i think there ok at peak times on some r/bouts but should be then turned off at quiet times.
look at all that money they’ve spent on the lights/work at the A1-M18 interchnage & those lights are a total waste of time at night they do more harm than good by making vehicles stop when the r/bout is clear…
there are loads like that -M1-M62 @ lofthouse)-as an example again…

andy187:

Coffeeholic:

stuartrobbie:

Coming back home from Coventry , M69/A5 junction. Car in front of me at 3 am went through the reds lights . Behind me unmarked copper. Over took me then pulled him round corner

There is very rarely any other vehicles about when I am heading home and if I think it might be an unmarked cop car I don’t do it, but it’s a chance I take.

Coffeeholic:

andy187:

Coffeeholic:

stuartrobbie:

There is very rarely any other vehicles about when I am heading home and if I think it might be an unmarked cop car I don’t do it, but it’s a chance I take.

Jesus what is this forum coming to when a mod condones reckless law breaking. This is why I don’t come on here much now! :smiley:

by me within 2 miles on the same road there are 3 roundabouts with traffic lights to do 1they removeda big roundabout and put in a small one all because they rebuilt the shopping centre

g.co/maps/bfy8t

switchlogic:

Coffeeholic:

andy187:

Coffeeholic:

stuartrobbie:

Jesus what is this forum coming to when a mod condones reckless law breaking. This is why I don’t come on here much now! :smiley:

I’m not condoning it, I’m not advocating it, I’m just doing it. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: Also, it is in no way reckless, I do it in a safe manner and from what I’ve read that makes it okay apparently. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

xamtex:
putting lights on the roundabout at the griff island at nuneaton has cut the queues down dramatically at busy times but is a bit of a chore at 3am.

Same with the one at Pensarn,just as you come down into Carmarthen on the A48. Used to be a complete PITA especially on Friday evenings in the holiday season, traffic used to be queueing for miles back. Locals used to divert off at Nant-y-Caws and go down the old road, nowadays it’s rarely necessary.

Biggest problem now is old biddies who don’t bother reading the (fairly precise) lane signs, and getting in the wrong lane, but it’s still a vast improvement.

New set on M18/A1 junction has made an big improvment

Like others said about, trying to get out fully loaded on a incline when ■■■■ flying around the roundbout at motorway speeds is asking for some trouble.