Traffic lights on roundabouts?

Please can someone tell me whats this all about its 4 am having a lovely early morning drive 44 ton wagon come up to a roundabout with a ruddy traffic light on red nothing coming round the roundabout why arnt they turned off at night. So we stop, back into first carry on next ruddy one is red nothing coming and so what a waste of fuel and loads more CO2 chucked out and the council constantly say recycle recycle your rubbish well i recon the entire load of my council recyle wheelie bin is spent on one roundabout keep pulling away.

THE WORST ONES
A14 Spittals always red
M3 Hook interchange
A12 Copdock
A47/A10 Hardwick
A14 Bury st Edmunds Sudbury interchange
A46 Hobby Horse
A11/A47 Norwich
A45/A43 Northampton
A14/A43 Kettering

AND SO MANY MORE
HEY COUNCIL DO GOODER WE KNOW HOW TO USE A ROUNDABOUT
WE CANT PULL AWAY QUICK ENOUGH AND CAUSE DELAYS :question: :question:

One of my pet hates is traffic lights on the roundabout itself, there’s a case for controlling the traffic enterring the roundabout at times but stopping it on the roundabout often blocks the next entrance.

Get it on and get rid of the traffic.

Go on, be a devil.

If you can see the road is clear in the early hours jump a red light.

It won’t hurt you know

Some of these roundabouts do need to be on light controls, but agree they could probably be turned off at night.

A roundabout near me, where the A50 joins the A453 and eventually the 42 need lights because of the speed of the cars.

Some in towns certainly do not.

I am surprised that they have not installed ‘smart lights’ which put all approaches on red. They change to green when the first vehicle approaches and saves waiting for another light to go from green to red before you can go.

Try approaching a red just a little slower and see if this works and try to notice if another set is changing from green to red or whether they are all red as you approach.

This helps if the lights are on a regular route that you use

i am a devil :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: if no one is about i keep going, slow on approach and all that. But why does every council keep banging on about carbon blinkin footprint they are wasting money here how much does it cost to run these lights how many trees have i got to plant. :smiley:

truckerbuster:
i am a devil :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: if no one is about i keep going, slow on approach and all that. But why does every council keep banging on about carbon blinkin footprint they are wasting money here how much does it cost to run these lights how many trees have i got to plant. :smiley:

You would have thought that a computer could be programmed to switch them off when they are not needed :exclamation: - they can do it with part time lights which count traffic flows and come on when needed

Exactly, many around this area are peak flow lights which come into operation automatically if the traffic flow increases beyond a set limit.

There’s nothing more annoying than having to sit at a red light for 5 minutes on a completely deserted junction in the middle of the night.
In this day and age of gadgetry, gizmos & electronic/radio controlled, camera operated this that & the other, i don’t see any excuse for it.

Or do like in other parts of Europe and have them all on flashing amber when its quiet - then everyone approaches with caution.

The traffic lights on the M6 junctions 40 and 44 are a pain in the backside especially at 3.30 in the morning when there is no one else around :imp:

The Highway Man:
The traffic lights on the M6 junctions 40 and 44 are a pain in the backside especially at 3.30 in the morning when there is no one else around :imp:

They are truly evil ones like. It’s almost impossible to get round without one of them turning red.
They’re still usefull on big fast roundabouts when you’re fully freighted though. Trying to get onto the roundabout a J40 from the South was a nighmare before they were put on.