TM

I act as nominated transport manager ™ on two O-licences, one wagon each. I am not a TM “in name only” and do my best to satisfy the legal and “moral” responsibilities, at the same time evolving a system which imposes the very minimum burden on already overworked operators.
Are there any others on TNUK doing the same?
May I ask how much do you charge the operator for your service?
Operators, how much do you pay for this service?

Traffic Commissioners are starting to take a very dim view of TMs who are charging less than the National Minimum Wage, ie 8 hours a week at £6.31.

8 x 6.31 x 52 ÷ 12 = £218.75 a month.

I would say a minimum £250 per month. :wink: However if you are already on two licences, haven’t you agreed terms? You should also have a contract between yourself and your operators. As Harry says the Traffic Commissioners expect 8 hours per week per operator, and at least minimum wage. You have to bear in mind your hours worked in a week as well, you cannot for example work 5 days a week driving (maybe 50 hours) and then +16 hours for TM duties. Gone are the days of the ‘name only TM’ for £30 per month!

Off topic here

Bit of a bummer if a TM working over 2 or 3 company’s gets busted for one company for over riding his decisions, this i take it would immediately affect the other company’s …

nick2008:
Off topic here

Bit of a bummer if a TM working over 2 or 3 company’s gets busted for one company for over riding his decisions, this i take it would immediately affect the other company’s …

If I was working for one operator and they over rode any of my decisions, I would terminate their contract if they did not heed a written warning. In answer to your question though, I cannot see it affecting other licences as long as you have full and effective control of them.

nick2008:
Off topic here

If you lose your repute, then yes, all of the other companies would need to find a new transport manager, although they would be allowed up to 18 months to find one.

12.6 Changes in Professional Personnel.

If the professionally competent person specified on a standard O licence leaves or can no longer carry out his duties due to physical disability or mental disorder, then the Traffic Commissioner must be informed, via the CLO using form GV80A. The Traffic Commissioner need not revoke the licence and may allow a reasonable period of time for the operator to find a replacement person who is professionally competent. The maximum time which may be allowed by the Traffic Commissioner is 18 months.