Rate for the job

How much should an external Transport Manager charge for his services?

Depends on the number of vehicles. Why do you ask?

This is a subject that I have seen raised on other forums and now the 4/50 rule has been looked at it will be even more contentious.
I know a few places were charging £125 for the first vehicle and £50 each for any others but it was a few years ago when I looked into it

When the TC demanded 8 hours per week for up to 2 vehicles, even at minimum wage that was £250 per month, so £300 per month would be nearer the mark. I can’t see that as the TC’s demanded hours have been reduced, the responsibility of an ETM hasn’t changed, or the fact that as an ETM you can only have 4 operators, so fees should remain the same. Anyone who charges the ‘old rate’ of £50 per month for their name only, is on dodgy ground.

FROM WHAT IVE READ ON HERE THE TM CPC IS SO STRAIGHTFORWARD NOWADAYS, THERE SHOULDNT BE A NEED FOR ETM,S ANYMORE , UNLESS YOUVE HAD AN INTERESTING PAST

leylandtrucker1:
FROM WHAT IVE READ ON HERE THE TM CPC IS SO STRAIGHTFORWARD NOWADAYS, THERE SHOULDNT BE A NEED FOR ETM,S ANYMORE , UNLESS YOUVE HAD AN INTERESTING PAST

I think you have been reading the wrong threads, as most people do not pass all modules first time and it is apparently an ‘A’ level standard exam.

glad to hear its not as simple as ticking boxes, mine was about 6 hours of exams , all written, I was feeling bit put out that i’d had a harder thing to do years ago compared to now

I guess if it was that easy, all operators using ETM’s would do it to save themselves some money. I’ve had operators in the past that have done it for themselves, and I have given them help if they asked. There are those of course who are good at their job, but crap at learning and management, so rely heavily on their ETM. I had one such guy, who I really ran his business for him and he just got on with the job.

Freedom of information dept came back saying Dft don’t hold records showing whether TMs are external. Replies to my post indicate that external TMs are on an average of 3 licences and their fees vary by 100%. I would still like to form an External Transport Managers Associaton if there was sufficient interest.

Best off doing the course yourself if you canj, I passed my national 13 years ago buy using a mate’s ualification for my international work, not something I particiclarly like but needed to get the work going.
In my humble opinion, and I’m sure this will annoy a few people, if you want to run trucks you should take the CPC course and qualify yourself.

COULDNT AGREE MORE ALEXH