TM

I have just had the unconfortable experience of a Public Inquiry as a transport manager TM. All very professioanl and a happy outcome. The Traffic Commissioner asked me how much I charged for acting on a one-vehicle licence. I said £150 per month. He said that as the minimum guideline is 8 hours per week, either I was undercharging or I was acting as TM “in name only”
I take the job seriously but being semi-retired I am grateful for a home-based pin-money job. Nonetheless I now have to put my rate up for both the operators for whom I act to £214.59 pm
nat min wage (1.10.12) = £6.19ph
8 hours pw = £49.52 pw
52 weeks pa = £2575.04 pa
1/12 = £214.59/month

(£402.35 pm for 3-5 vehicles)

He also I asked if I logged the hours which I worked as TM (I also do one or two days per week hgv driving thru agencies). When I said no, he observed that I was breaching the WTD regs.

It was novel to get a bollocking for not charging enough money.

Excellent - good on you fella! :wink:

Paid what you are worth - how quaint!! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Great isn’t it? All the teararse cowboy firms out there and TC are worried about a TM being too cheap.

Was the company quite happy to pay the extra, I don’t suppose they that much choice.

jessicas dad:
Was the company quite happy to pay the extra, I don’t suppose they that much choice.

It would seem to make more sense for somebody from the company to take the CPC and act at the TM rather than paying out £2,500 a year for an external TM.

Traffic Commissioners do seem to be tightening the rules about external TMs at the moment.

Muckaway:
Great isn’t it? All the teararse cowboy firms out there and TC are worried about a TM being too cheap.

But he hasn’t explained which company he was working for when called in for public enquiry.

It isn’t like being invited to the Queens garden party in the big palace :wink:

Harry Monk:

jessicas dad:

It would seem to make more sense for somebody from the company to take the CPC and act at the TM rather than paying out £2,500 a year for an external TM.

Traffic Commissioners do seem to be tightening the rules about external TMs at the moment.

I don’t see as it’s any of their business, I can see that they don’t want ‘paper’ TM’s so I do ‘get’ the question but I wonder how Bev would answer the same question?? I doub’t she’d be too quick to be making public how much she’s paid, I’d say “that’s a private matter between me & my client”.

Ross.

That’s the difference between the Upper Class and the Lower Class. :smiley: