Transport manager

I have just had the unconfortable experience of a Public Inquiry as a transport manager TM. All very professioanl and a happy outcome. The Traffic Commissioner asked me how much I charged for acting on a one-vehicle licence. I said £150 per month. He said that as the minimum guideline is 8 hours per week, either I was undercharging or I was acting as TM “in name only”
I take the job seriously but being semi-retired I am grateful for a home-based pin-money job. Nonetheless I now have to put my rate up for both the operators for whom I act to £214.59 pm
nat min wage (1.10.12) = £6.19ph
8 hours pw = £49.52 pw
52 weeks pa = £2575.04 pa
1/12 = £214.59/month

(£402.35 pm for 3-5 vehicles)

He also I asked if I logged the hours which I worked as TM (I also do one or two days per week hgv driving thru agencies). When I said no, he observed that I was breaching the WTD regs.

It was novel to get a bollocking for not charging enough money.

power crazy tossers. :laughing:

you could write to the sun. “Government dictator in transport price fixing scandal”

You could maybe have pointed out that a significant part of your duties consists of reading and digesting new legislation as it appears, and you don’t need to read the same legislation for every vehicle that you manage.

Still, a positive result all round, good repute kept and a pay rise to boot! :smiley:

I am the same as you Euro.I act for three small operators.There is no way that an owner with one vehicle can pay for eight hours per week. I state on the form that I work those hours.
The Traffic Commissioners don’t take into account that most small operators are struggling to keep going…

Dave the Renegade:
I am the same as you Euro.I act for three small operators.There is no way that an owner with one vehicle can pay for eight hours per week. I state on the form that I work those hours.
The Traffic Commissioners don’t take into account that most small operators are struggling to keep going…

& lets have it right, there’s no way 8 hrs of work a week to do either!!!

Ross.