tips needed

Has anyone out there got any good tips on reversing

Get out and look and practice makes perfect.

pensom:

I assume you mean ARTIC :question:

Get
Out
And
Look

And work out HOW you are going to do it before getting back in the cab

If you have to take 20 forward shunts to do it safely - SO WHAT !!

What problems are you encountering?

Breaker One-Nine:

When reversing, hearing a crushing noise all the time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Dont hit anyhting!!! LOL

Seriously though, it doesnt matter if it goes in in 1 go, or 50 goes, if you get it where it needs to be, without hitting anything or causing damage, its been a successful reversing manourve.
IMO opinion the worst thing you can do is get stressed over it, it will make you more uptight and stressed before you even have to reverse…

Take your time, and get out and look 25 times if needs be, better to be safe than sorry

Steve-o:

Breaker One-Nine:

When reversing, hearing a crushing noise all the time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

just beating myself up abit. put a dent in a door whilst reversing on to a bay when got back to the yard

are you new to bendy trucks? we’ve all been through it. the best advice is get out and make a mental picture of your surroundings as many times as you need and the slower you go the less damage you’ll do.

Don’t turn the wheel so much, little and often is better

Go in on your day off, grab a spare unit and just shunt around your yard all day long till you’re throwing up and the thought of another reverse as you’ve done so many of them :wink:

Practice practice practice :sunglasses:

Steve-o:
Go in on your day off, grab a spare unit and just shunt around your yard all day long till you’re throwing up and the thought of another reverse as you’ve done so many of them :wink:

Practice practice practice :sunglasses:

Well said that man :wink:

I did that when I started on wagon & drags (the proper ones with an A frame drawbar) I had a day off & spent it reversing around a lorry park, got quite good at it by the end of the day too :sunglasses:

Remember one thing though, you can practice all you want & be the best driver in the world, but wait until you’re backing in somewhere simple that has a crowd of drivers standing there watching you, I can guarantee you’ll balls it right up :laughing:

ROG:
If you have to take 20 forward shunts to do it safely - SO WHAT !!

The difference between newbie and experienced driver?

• Newbie takes 15 shunts to get to an very easy bay and after he’s done he runs into the warehouse with embarrassment to hide from other drivers.
  • Experienced driver aims the same bay, takes 10 shunts, lights a ■■■, takes 15 more shunts and when ready he gets out of the lorry and bows to the audience.

oddly enough, the more room i have, the more i balls it up :laughing:

give me an empty yard with acres of space and it will take me 3 shunts to get it spot on. yesterday i had to reverse off a road through a gate with a 7.5 tonner parked at the far side of it and not a lot of room to get in. got her in first time even though when i looked i thought…flaming heck (or words to that effect :laughing: ). it may be down to concentration. the trickier it is the harder you concentrate.
i will echo what others have said. get out and look if you arent sure. regardless of what some old hands think (not here), there is no shame in looking and taking your time. they still balls up sometimes so ignore them. everyone has a bad day so dont worry about it. just you worry about you and get the trailer where it needs to be :wink:

watch how another driver does and note position of wheels
you will see what effect moving the steering wheel has on the trailer

plus as has been said just practice one weekend in yard

Due to reasons beyond my control I ended up doing our night shunt down to Wedensbury last night, All went well, managed to get it backed into a bay and then get the truck back to Hull for 6am, the last time I did this was this time last year when I had only just passed my test, when I got back to our yard I realised that the double decker had to go into the last bay in the yard and that involved me doing a blind reverse into it :frowning: , there was nobody in the yard that early so I had to do it without any assistance, I took my time and after getting out a few times I managed to get it in the bay! It was then that I realised I had done it all on my own and the reason for this was that nobody was watching me, there was no pressure and I took my time!! Dont let anybody pressure you, just take as long as you need and you will get there!!

pensom:

Make sure you start off from a good position. Move the steering wheel in gradual turns, instead of just winding loads of lock on, AND ALLOW THE TRAILER TIME TO START TURNING before adding or removing more lock.

don’t trust a banksman.
especially the ones on boats.