Reversing Help please

Hi All
I start my new class 1 job on 13th October. :smiley:
Does any body have any tips on reversing. I have been to the yard where the shunter has been helping me, it just seems so difficult. :confused:
How long did you take to reverse well?
Stuart .

i dont know how to link this to my post but i asked same question doing my artic few weeks ago got some good advice, try going on my profile and looking at my posts to find what im on about or its on main site under reversing help or something similar

An old thread from 2004 but still very apt - CLICK HERE :smiley:

the best tip i was given is slowly slowly slowly with small turns of the wheel and if you want to avoid something steer towards it.

just take your time and dont be to vain to take a shunt(dont be a [zb] ), take a shunt!) if you need one take one, and get out and have a look if you are unsure. its quicker and easier than filling in reems of paperwork. dont let other drivers watching you get to you, they all had to start somewhere and will probably clap you when you get it in but just let them know its your first time (i still do that now and ive been driving them since june :blush: )

good luck and let us know how you get on

edited to remove censor dodge…colingl

Ive been driving artics just over 2 yrs. Even i still manage to mess it right up every now & then, we all do.
Best advice i can give is take it easy, if your not sure get out & look, dont be affraid to ask for help & consentrate on your own driving & not whos watching.
Goodluck mate :smiley: :smiley:

Ive been driving artics since 1983 and i still mess up

Best advice i got was take your time, try and use the available space wisely and get the truck as straight as possible before you start reversing.

Let the trailer do the work dont try and steer it just correct it as it goes

I passed in april 08 and then got a job doing a night trunk, only problem was there was harldy an reversing, then got put onto days and then the fun began, like everybody else has said, take your time, dont be afraid to get out and look and if the worst comes to the worst have somebody watch you in. I must admit that im still no good at reversing but im slowly getting better. Good luck.

point it in the direction you can see, dont try and guess whats behind, there are lots of good simple tell tales that you are going wrong or indeed right.

Tyre marks on the road, worn out line markings, ruts and broken concrete. Backing onto a bay is a lot easier if you are straight before hitting the stops.

Practice in an open area using a line on the floor, it makes it so much easier if you have to reverse in on the blind side later on if you understand how the truck pivots, it doesnt bend.

We can all â– â– â– â–  it up from time to time.
Just take your time and make sure its all clear behind.
I am a gret believer in getting out to have a look. No matter how many years I have been doing it - and regardless of weather - I never make guesses I always like to make sure.

I had an assessment today in which one of the last things i had to do was reverse the trailer inbetween two others. I only passed my class1 in March and was very nervous of the reverse as this was my first try at a class1 job. I took 4 shunts to get it straight and even on both sides. The guy assessing me said even though i was very carefull he would rather i took more shunts and got it right than hitting something and causing damage out of pride.
As it was, i passed the assessment. I must admit, the reverse was my major worry, but i took my time and did what i thought was right. Hope this of some help :slight_smile:

jad24369:
I had an assessment today in which one of the last things i had to do was reverse the trailer inbetween two others. I only passed my class1 in March and was very nervous of the reverse as this was my first try at a class1 job. I took 4 shunts to get it straight and even on both sides. The guy assessing me said even though i was very carefull he would rather i took more shunts and got it right than hitting something and causing damage out of pride.
As it was, i passed the assessment. I must admit, the reverse was my major worry, but i took my time and did what i thought was right. Hope this of some help :slight_smile:

Well done .Wise words from both you and the assessor. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

jad24369:

About the same for me when I did an assessment for Walkers Crisps about 2 years ago - the assessor wanted it exactly the same from both trailers all the way down - took me about 6 or 7 shunts to perfect it - passed - no prob :smiley:

Thanks for your words guys. It’s nice to know that experienced drivers have to do the same things and we all have to prove ourselves worthy. I always try my best and hope its good enough. I take this driving lark seriously :slight_smile:

jad24369:
Thanks for your words guys. It’s nice to know that experienced drivers have to do the same things and we all have to prove ourselves worthy. I always try my best and hope its good enough. I take this driving lark seriously :slight_smile:

Ditto. Thanks for your replies. I will let you know how I get on. Only a week to go.
Stuart