Help needed reversing

Hello there
Not been driving artics for long
Cant reverse them!
turned up for assesment at NFT and on the drive all was going well
got back to the yard assesor was going on about whet you will need when your working hear ect ect
Then he asked me to back onto one of the bays and I could not do it!
after a few attempts he said switch off the engine and weight in office
He said I could not back onto one of the bays and I failed the assesment

my question is is there anywhere I can get some practice reversing artics
I know this is not the 60s 670s where they would let you tag along with a shunter in a yard for some practice
Its all health and safety and cant do this cant do that and you have your licence and you are now full profesonal and experanced and if you cant do it ■■■■ off

But dose anyone have any bright ideas :bulb:

You could always book a few hours with a local training company, I’ve no idea what the shortest amount of time you could book is or what the cost would be but a few phone calls should clear that up for you.

Hi.

Not really sure what i can say except really sorry to hear that, reversing is one of those universal mysteries that actually isnt as bad as you think.

I couldn’t reverse worth a ■■■■ when i started but it actually comes quite quickly, all i will say is that once you get into it you will be reversing into places that you never thought you would ever get a truck that big.

Don’t give up, there loss really and you will get something soon.

Madguy :imp:

Slow as you like and don’t feel pressured, start off easy perhaps taking it wider than you think and allow the trailer to work before making any slight alterations, its easier to correct if you’re a little wide.

If unsure get out and walk round and have a look, trust me they actually like that, they want you to be careful with their Vehicles.

Do not worry about shunting it a couple of times, this is common even with the gold medal drivers you will meet in the waiting areas.

Don’t worry so much before attempting it, you should see an artic driver trying to reverse a rigid, I get ■■■■■■■ in knots going the wrong way. lol

When you started to lose it you should just have chucked it and repositioned yourself, even some of the most experienced and best of Drivers can get nervous at these things.

Its a shame you got a chance at a job so soon and you lost it a bit at the last hurdle.

Did they tell you when you could go in again, I would phone and speak to the assessor and explain your nerves at being assessed caused this.

had a couple with your issue when i worked as a LGV instructor - they booked 4 hours reversing training each and I took them to an industrial estate where I knew there were many types of empty units etc with access to practise on - no cone crap on an airfield etc but real life stuff

Both well sorted during 4 hours :smiley:

Trouble with that is - it costs money

ROG:
had a couple with your issue when i worked as a LGV instructor - they booked 4 hours reversing training each and I took them to an industrial estate where I knew there were many types of empty units etc with access to practise on - no cone crap on an airfield etc but real life stuff

Well worth it if it helps.

i was no good at it, then worked out the less time i got worked up about it , and do not think too much about it , only then it became easier, i was born on a dairy farm, so tractors and trailers to practise on before the test.

Yorkysays:-:

ROG:

Well worth it if it helps.

I agree but its finding a school and a trainer that will make it real, or as real as it can be

tachograph:
You could always book a few hours with a local training company, I’ve no idea what the shortest amount of time you could book is or what the cost would be but a few phone calls should clear that up for you.

Usual length of time for refresher is 4 hours.

A good trainer will sort out your problems within a couple of hours.

Just make sure they do a bit more than that S shaped reverse as we all know that S shape reverses don’t happen in 99.9% of real life scenarios :smiling_imp:

90% of a reverse is planing & preperation, all done before you even select R
Dont over steer, allow trailer time to react.

I’m in the same boat mate, assessment for Gist, went very well till the reverse, and same again at an assessment for sainsbury’s, driving school is a great idea, but no job so no money, catch 22.

One other option is to perhaps ask on the owner drivers forum and see if you caan do a day run out with one of them who will let you do any reversing under their guidance - ok, its a long shot but perhaps worth a try :bulb:

Boss & Driver:
Not been driving artics for long.

Cant reverse them!

Book a two hour C+E reversing lesson for £80.

OR…

…imagine a piece of string tied from the RIGHT REAR of your trailer
to 3 o’clock on your steering wheel.

…imagine another piece of string tied from the LEFT REAR of your trailer
to 9 o’clock on your steering wheel.

…as you reverse dead slow, your steering wheel will pull “the imaginary string and
therefore the rear of the trailer” in the direction that you want your trailer to go.

If it starts to go wrong, STOP. Ease forward. Straighten up. Try again. DON’T RUSH IT.

Your holding a Class 1 ticket and can’t reverse? :open_mouth:

thanks to everyone except the last post
looks like the only way is to spend money on a school

dessy:
Your holding a Class 1 ticket and can’t reverse? :open_mouth:

I would be more inclined to ask … how were you taught to do the test reverse … using bits on the trailer?

Boss & Driver:

Stating the obvious fella! Reversing a trailer is the most difficult manoeuvre along with a 180 degree spin in a jct or yard! :exclamation:

Boss & Driver:

Don`t worry about him mate he is only shocked because its forward that stumps him. lol

aranger:

Boss & Driver:

Don`t worry about him mate he is only shocked because its forward that stumps him. lol

:grimacing:

Boss & Driver:

Do you know if you’ll be able to do another assessment for NFT ?