Reversing between trailers

Started a job 2 months ago and still struggling reversing between trailers so much that im get nervous every time i go to the yard im ok on bays but really need some tips on this as i seem to be gettin worse not better.

someone on here suggested a really good idea that when you go for a break in a services or for a short stop pick a place with not many veh around and back into the parking bay every time to practice might be an idea for you as no chance of hitting anything so can relax and practice

jen x

Dont beat yourself up to much, i’ve seen old boys who have been driving for donkey years still get it wrong.

Just take your time, get yourself setup in the right position first then reverse on tickover the slower the better as you have more time to correct yourself, if you can watch other drivers see how they position there units and what they do.

i’m only new too. but, i was taught that 90% of the work for reversing is done before you actually start going backwards. so, i believe positioning yourself correctly before starting to reverse is critical. may be if you concentrated on getting your wagon in the best place possible before you start to reverse may take the pressure off you a bit. i know it’s not always possible if you’re somewhere with limited forward room but i find the above works for me.

we all handle a bit of pressure differently, the last few times i’ve backed around our yard, i’ve had an audience. it went well and it went bad. but i always give em a bow when i get out… it’s just life…

:wink:

if in doubt,get out and check

Yes, as stated, before you even select reverse gear, put yourself in the best position possible in advance of the manoeuvre- if that means driving an extra few hundred yards to turn around so you are doing it on your good side and not your blind side then do that.

Remember that once your centre trailer axle has cleared the corner of the trailer you are revering next to than you can turn in as tightly as you want- up to the point where the rear of your trailer would hit the side of it, obviously.

And finally, GOAL.

Get Out And Look!

Thanks everyone will try try some of these tips really appriciate your feedback I will let you know how I get on .

Take some time to watch how and where the trailer pivots on the axles. If the ground is uneven, sloped, rough etc it will change position. Use other clues, is there a drain next to the trailer, clock its position before you start, aim for that, maybe a notice or light on a bay. Ideally you should be making two smooth steering inputs, getting it lined up and unwinding the wheel once you are heading for the correct line. If you are over compensating and going in like a zig zag you will damage something.

If it is a busy yard there will be lots of telltale scrub on the ground.

If it helps, chuck a pair of gloves on the ground and aim for them.

As long as you know that the trailer fits stop looking at you N/S mirror, fold it in if you are tempted. Just keep nice and tight on your side. You need to condition yourself N/S mirror to check you are not going to hit anything, O/S mirror to align trailer if you try to do both with both mirrors you will constantly correcting as the perspective is different in each mirror.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Even experienced drivers ■■■■ this up occasionally…as i well know! :blush:

Last week managed to put a massive tear, top to bottom, in the curtain of a very new shiny Stobarts trailer!

DonutUK:
Even experienced drivers ■■■■ this up occasionally…as i well know! :blush:

Last week managed to put a massive tear, top to bottom, in the curtain of a very new shiny Stobarts trailer!

Ha ha, …

I did that a couple of months ago… :blush:

Still i only have 18 years experiance :unamused:

Didn’t want to say that but thats what happened just knocked my confidence after that. Now I feel better thats its not just new drivers.

Relax and take your time it’s taken me 3 years to feel fully confident and still I ■■■■ it up 25% of the time but I havent hit anything for a long time and that’s what counts.

It’s one of life’s paradoxes that if nobody is watching you can do it perfectly first time. There seems to be some law of physics which states that the more of an audience you have, the more your cognitive and motor skills go out of the window. :unamused:

Well, I haven’t driving too long. I would agree the set up is the key. So try and slightly angle the unit and the trailer so the angle is slightly facing the bay. not too much. then I get out and open the back doors, at this stage you get a chance to look about without anybody noticing. if you neet to pull forward a bit thats fine, then open the drivers window and slowly back into the bay. This also helps with the driver side reverse. hope this helps you

It seems the answer is to fit more gadgets :open_mouth:

commercialmotor.com/latest-n … or-drivers

Like most kids cannot do their times tables without calculators, lorry drivers will not be allowed to use any kind of skill and rely on technology until it fails of course. then we will have the situation where no one can blind side a box van or a tipper onto a site.

And don’t be afraid to ask another driver to see you back :wink:

I can remember rolling into Beaconsfield services after a particularly long week feel absolutely exhausted. I was parking up for the night and I had to ask the driver next to me to see me back as I was bolloxed :blush:

He helped me out and since that day I am the first to get out and help another driver :slight_smile:

BTW there are far tighter places to reverse into such as backing onto a ferry but even then the crew always see you back :slight_smile:

Wheel Nut:
It seems the answer is to fit more gadgets :open_mouth:

commercialmotor.com/latest-n … or-drivers

Like most kids cannot do their times tables without calculators, lorry drivers will not be allowed to use any kind of skill and rely on technology until it fails of course. then we will have the situation where no one can blind side a box van or a tipper onto a site.

:laughing: that’s quite funny - we will soon have a skull and cross bones warning light on the dash when things are about to go ■■■■ up :laughing:

I know royal mail have new trailers with parkin sensers and cameras only trouble is you’d be too busy lookin at them and probably make the job ten times worse .just goin to take my time get out and look. it has to come sooner than later.

I think it all comes with practice, but you cant practice unless the opportunity is there. And we spend more time going forward than backward after all :slight_smile:

Its a bit off putting reversing between trailers as there aint the room for error, just slow it right down and take it easy. Somebody throwing a face? Tell them your new and ask them to help guide you back - if nothing else it will make them feel important and stop you having to rush.

I watch you guys on the bendy trucks with awe, I can get panicky on a rigid at times but its getting there slowly for me.

Onwards n upwards, :slight_smile: