This might sound like a crazy idea but

Assuming that you have the money to finance it, is it worth a newly qualified driver getting his / her own truck and getting work that way?

Looking at the O/D forum I appreciate that there is hardship at the moment but there are people out there making money.

Madness or what :open_mouth:

Be good to get some opinions from those who’ve done it.

i would say its mad with the way things are right now in the world. mayby when things pick up then yea why not, though why not invest some of that money and when the time comes you could mayby get a better motor than you would have.

MAT:
Assuming that you have the money to finance it, is it worth a newly qualified driver getting his / her own truck and getting work that way?

I will repeat what I read the other day somewhere on here from an O/D -

DO NOT put any money into a venture like this UNLESS you have an air tight contract for regular work which will cover all your costs and give you a decent living.

CONTRACT FIRST - THEN SPEND

I think your right Rog to go and do something like that in these times would be crazy. Unless you are setup im wondering even if the training money to get class C is even going to pay off tough times ahead. Alot of companies seem to be cutting out agencies to make cuts which is prob why they arent ringing with any work offers. I think the only way newbies will be getting any driving experience is to hire a truck now theres another crazy thought maybe :imp: . Wonder what that would cost i bet you need to have experience to hire even with a cat C lic â– â– ?. Any takers ON A POSITIVE NOTE ONCE WEVE ALL RODE THE WAVE NO AGENCIES REAL JOBS

You may well get work ,it will be zb work and you will have a hard time getting paid after doing it.Though you will have to pay your creditors up front.

Thanks for the views - which I kind of anticipated. Nevertheless all good research.

What’s a zb ?

MAT:
Thanks for the views - which I kind of anticipated. Nevertheless all good research.

What’s a zb ?

This site uses [ZB] instead of swearing

I thought about doing this myself, luckily I didn’t take it too far. I’d have been Bankrupt by now. :cry:

You’ll get a cheaper lorry in this day and age but its no just the lorry you need… O’ Licence, truck, TM, fuel cards, paying work, accountants, etc etc etc

Yep, OD, the thought has occupied my mind more than it should have lately.

Having driven not a thing since passing my class 1 in August, I’m not ruling anything out.

At the current time I don’t expect to get any work till the new year :frowning:

Speed Freak:
Yep, OD, the thought has occupied my mind more than it should have lately.

Having driven not a thing since passing my class 1 in August, I’m not ruling anything out.

At the current time I don’t expect to get any work till the new year :frowning:

try MANPOWER at Grangemouth they should have Royal Mail work about this time of year .good luck with the quest.

Thanks for the heads up. I’m off to check out the Manpower website…

zb it.

Still going to do the training, get a C then C+E, Then try and get some work experience. :confused:

Then get a contract and buy a truck, then another, then another. :smiley:

Eddie Stobart and Norbert Dentressangle will be zb ing themselves :open_mouth: . When this downturns over, someones got to make a go of it :question: .

MAT:
Still going to do the training, get a C then C+E, Then try and get some work experience. :confused:

If you can afford to have up to £3k doing nothing for a while, then go for it :smiley:

ROG:

MAT:

If you can afford to have up to £3k doing nothing for a while, then go for it :smiley:

I know the feeling and mine was a bit more that 3k :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Steve

How long ago did you pass? What’s your experience been like in trying to get work?

<

:wink:

MAT:
Steve

How long ago did you pass? What’s your experience been like in trying to get work?

I passed on the 2nd August this year. I had a few days driving a Tonka Toy (7.5T) through Driver Hire but that’s it. I’ve lost count of the number of letters etc I’ve sent to Haulage Firms around the Port, nothing going.
I’m trying to get on a FLT Course on the 2nd December hoping that will make taking me on more attractive… :unamused: