New and wanna be drivers

Ive been driving for 16yrs (alot less than some) but heres my advice about becoming a trucker…DONT DO IT invest your money in something that is not going to be raped and pillaged like our industry :unamused:

In the Poll Question kerwyn:
Is it worth taking your c1+e(class1)

:unamused:

tachograph:

In the Poll Question kerwyn:
Is it worth taking your c1+e(class1)

:unamused:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Assuming he meant c+e, I voted yes as I have heard even for Cat C jobs they tend to pick a C+E driver for the potential versatility, which I can understand.

As for deciding where to invest your time and money: I spent a long time (between six and seven years) to become “qualified” for my previous occupation, even though the qualifications were non-vocational in nature and therefore open to much debate. After three years in that line of work I found myself royally cheesed off with both the working conditions and future job availability (I was subsequently unemployed for about two years). So I became a trucker. At least now I get work occasionally

Yes (but make sure someone else is paying for it!)

I think the results of the poll will be all the answer you need to be honest. Whether or not the trucking industry is going down the pan, im going all they way with it(eventually :wink:) Im about to go for my theory test and then do the C stuff, no matter what you tell me, im getting the C&E regardless and i think there are juat as many who think the same! :stuck_out_tongue:

Im going the whole hog for C then C+E aswell. mainly as this is one of the only ways i can see myself leaving this country before the government destroys it.

god i hope so, it’s cost me too much to give up now!

done the C and have recently failed the c+e a couple of times but I’ve invested too much money to call it a day and, realisticly, once I get a job driving artics, the difference between what I’m paid now and what I’m likely to be on will pay for it all in about three and a half months.

Another string to my bow :wink:

I’m lloking foreward to it, I enjoy the job (I currently drive a 7.5t). I’m nervous about my first couple of months as there’ll still be a lot to learn but even though people say the money’s not good, it’ll definately make a big difference for me.

You’re right though, before people invest literally thousands, they should consider everything, including the grim outlook on the industry. Personally though, I think something will change. Hopefully the gouvernment will wake up and things will improve.

I said never again will I put myself through the stress of another test… I wont pay for it, but should I be lucky enough to work for a company who whats to pony up the dough Ill do it :open_mouth:

Plain answer from me.

JUST DON`T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!

Jim

unless someone else is paying for it i won’t be bothering

it’s time we insisted drivers on our roads passed our test and leave jonny foreigner standing at the port or dockside.

british jobs for british test takers - health and safety - simple as.

if the government doesn’t get a grip of the immigration/migrant workers in Uk - enoch’s words are going to come back to haunt us … again and again and again.

Don’t know yet, I hope not (cashed in my endowment to pay for it) and quite frankly the stress of the test for me anyway is enormous and reading a lot of posts on here even if you get your C C+E the chances of a company letting a new driver behind the wheel of one their very expensive artics is pretty slim, I suppose in way I can understand that, but there are a lot of positive posts here so just go for it and see what happens. As for Jonny foreigner malc7…don’t start me off!

Just drive down the motorway and have a look see how many trucks are artics.

Most of them.

Nothing at all wrong in not having a CE, but by God it puts you out of the market for so many jobs. I can only think of a handful of firms around here that run rigids. And they certainly don’t pay the best money.

My depot has some 26 tonners but the boss wouldn’t employ a class 2 driver unless he agreed to do his class 1. I think the boss would more than likely give whatever assistance was needed too, to be fair. He likes the flexibility of being able to move drivers around when needed. Even though he rarely does - he knows he can

If you really mean C1+E, then the answer is NO.