This is probably a stupid question, but

Do you have to pay to park up at motorway services? I’m guessing you do overnight but what if you’re just wanting to take 45mins? I’ve heard stories of clampers etc etc?

Seems a bit crazy… :open_mouth:

philmots:
Do you have to pay to park up at motorway services? I’m guessing you do overnight but what if you’re just wanting to take 45mins? I’ve heard stories of clampers etc etc?

Seems a bit crazy… :open_mouth:

Most MSAs allow free parking for 2 hours so that more than covers the normal breaks, they do however charge for overnight parking which is usually between £15 to £20.
You can be clamped on some services for overstaying the 2 free hours of parking and also for parking in the wrong area’s.

By the way, it’s not a stupid question :wink:

Is it cleary stated in services after how long you’ve got to pay? …and when you have to does some bloke come round and collect or similar?

philmots:
Is it cleary stated in services after how long you’ve got to pay? …and when you have to does some bloke come round and collect or similar?

YES - it MUST by law and yes, well all the ones I ever stayed in had a parking fee collector.

So if your job entails you staying over night at a service station who pays you or your employer?

fowler26:
So if your job entails you staying over night at a service station who pays you or your employer?

The same bloke who pays for the road tax and fuel, end of…

fowler26:

Places I’ve been at you pay then get it back off the company but I imagine there may be some companies that will pay it in advance.

philmots:

I could be wrong about this but I seem to remember reading somewhere that motorway services have to allow a minimum of 2 hours free parking by law, there’s usually a sign up somewhere but you may have to look for it.

There’s usually someone comes round the park to check that overnighters have paid.
As far as the free parking limit is concerned, if the signs say you have 2 hours free parking and you overstay that time you stand a chance of being clamped without warning unless you’ve paid to park up.