Thinking of doing class 2

hi came across this website whilst i was looking for training schools . what it was i was wondering is it possible to get through ypur class 2 in 5 days as thats what most schools offer and then the test…did have bad experience with the intense course for my car licence and it was a waste of money as ended up do it in may local area …i know you can take it over a longer period but cant really afford that as work in a call centre crap pay … i would say my car driving is fair and have confidence on any road but how difficult is it to drive the trucks.
thanks in advance . darren :smiley:

Hi Darren,

but how difficult is it to drive the trucks.

Have you ever driven a 7.5 tonner on your licence?? (It depends on when you took your car test as to whether you are entitled to or not). Contact a school and ask for an assessment drive - that way you get to have a go! You will need a medical and to have class ‘C’ provisional added to your licence. After your assessment, if you want the training, you will need to take and pass your theory test first.

I start my training tomorrow! 4 days plus test day. Talk about excited! So if any of you are in the Oxford area tomorrow, look out for a 14 ton Mercedes with 'Rollright school of training on it… and let me pull out from the junction :slight_smile:

Cheers

thanks for the quick reply did my car test in 2003 so didnot give me the 7.5 tonne have driven my pals bus before 26 seater but only in an industrial estate and no manouvers or anything got all the forms for my medical just waiting someone phoningfrom cotswald medicals as they say they can do it for £38 with a dr in ■■■■■■■■■■■ the only thing is my eyesight as it seems to be getting quite strained only 21 as well may need glasses 1st phoning schols at the moment to see what they charge and how they train i.e 1-1 2-1 hoping maybe to start at the end of january if get the medical and theory out of the way not to worried about theory as its not that much so can just book it again but failing the driving test as would cost a fortune to retake and dependant on if i can get the money together for days training and test as wouldnot want to leave it too long as would be like starting again.

I did class 2 never having driven a 7.5t, didn’t find it a problem…took 4 days then test on the fifth morning. I did have lots of commercial experience beforehand on little-uns of all flavours, being a lazy bugger and not liking to lug stuff too far I’ve always been in the ‘get as close as possible’ school of manouvering.

I wasn’t really in a position to fail either and luckily I didn’t.

Best of luck to you. :slight_smile:

dsk19s:
… the only thing is my eyesight as it seems to be getting quite strained only 21 as well may need glasses…

Hello!

I wouldn’t worry too much about your eyesight - as long as you meet the required standards, and wearing glasses to do so is accepted, you’ll be just fine. Many LGV drivers wear spectacles to reach the required standards.

Note that the standard for LGV drivers is higher than that for car drivers. Again, I myself do not need spectacles to meet car licence requirements but I do need them to meet LGV requirements. Personally, I still choose to wear spectacles when driving my car too! Better safe than sorry!

As you passed your car test in 2003 you will have to meet the following eyesight requirements, measured on a standard optician’s Snellen eyechart:

Visual acuity of at least 6/9 in the better eye, and 6/12 in the other eye - spectacles accepted if required.
For you, full binocular vision is required, monocular vision would not be accepted.
An uncorrected vision of at least 3/60 in both eyes

Anyone who would not be able to read the top line (6/60) of a Snellen chart from a distance of 3 metres (which equals 3/60) with their naked eyes, would not be allowed an LGV licence. But such a person would be quite blind without spectacles!

As you see, not exactly fighter pilot requirements! :wink:

thyanks guys it gave me slight boost managed to book my medical for friday 10th dec …think i will go to the opticians 1st and take advantage of a free eyesight test before i go as not to waste money…also has any one had any experiences with (cant remeber there name) but they arrange training and supposedly at job at the end of it…as thinking of giving them a call. :question:

Welcome to TruckNet UK dsk19s :slight_smile:
It is possible to pass class 2 in 5 days. I am new to
lgv driving also but found out from a little drive
that air breaks need a little time to get used to
and you have to relie on mirrors a lot and
when I went down a road that I usually drive down
with my car and almost smooth but the lorry
bounces a little. clutch’s are more heavier than
a cars and with a lorry being wider than a car
I got told to put a indicator on when passing
parked cars as I would go over white line also
when turning left don’t be to far over to left as
you will go up kerb. they are a few things I have
found out in a 1 hour assessment so go and
enjoy your training and you can do it.

Also good look JayHoe with test and training :slight_smile:

dsk19s:
thyanks guys it gave me slight boost managed to book my medical for friday 10th dec …think i will go to the opticians 1st and take advantage of a free eyesight test before i go as not to waste money…also has any one had any experiences with (cant remeber there name) but they arrange training and supposedly at job at the end of it…as thinking of giving them a call. :question:

I’ve seen posting on here regarding sterling and clearstone, both do training but not sure of job though.

I’m doing my training with qualitas week after next. They do offer job at the end through sms agencies. Don’t know what the’re like yet but I will post upon completion of training.

Good luck though

Thanks COnvoy! I guess I will need it - I will post a diary tomorrow, I had driven a 7.5tonner with air brakes a few times so that has helped a bit!

Cheers

John

I look forward to reading your training diary
John and picking up some tips off you as I
am doing hourly lessons. on Saturday I have
a lesson so before I go out of the yard I am
going to find out how to brake smoothly as
last time sometimes I stopped ok but a couple
was not smooth and the lorry as not got seat belts
and don’t need them :open_mouth: .

His dsk19s and Welcome to Trucknet UK :wink: .

In reply to your question about how difficult is it to drive trucks, how long’s a piece of string? Some people tend to take to it like a duck to water, others, myself included, take a little longer - allright, we downright struggle :unamused::mrgreen:. Same for the intensive course. Didn’t work for me, but that’s me :laughing: . A lot of people on here it’s worked very well for. If you didn’t do well on the car intensive, then I’d say you wouldn’t take to the Truck intensive. I didn’t. I’m happy to admit it :unamused: :laughing: and I’ll stand corrected if you do it and pass first time (I hope you do :wink: ) . It’s all down to you and how you feel about it. Only you can decide that. Have an assesment drive with someone and see how you and they feel about it, then think about how you’d like to do it.

JayHoe, Convoy, good luck and let us know, ok :wink: .

hi spoke to my cousin who used to be in the royal logistic corps he advised tha whilst driving the car is to turn the main mirror up so as just using the wing mirrors said this should help me get used to mirrors on as truck and using them as barely do on the car

Whether or not you can pass in 5 days is entirely down to you. You’ll have to “unlearn” alot of bad habitsd and you’ve got no chance if you have a "I know better " attitude which apparently alot of students go in with even though they’re paying through the nose for lessons. :confused:

Liberace:
His dsk19s and Welcome to Trucknet UK :wink: .

In reply to your question about how difficult is it to drive trucks, how long’s a piece of string? Some people tend to take to it like a duck to water, others, myself included, take a little longer - allright, we downright struggle :unamused::mrgreen:. Same for the intensive course. Didn’t work for me, but that’s me :laughing: . A lot of people on here it’s worked very well for. If you didn’t do well on the car intensive, then I’d say you wouldn’t take to the Truck intensive. I didn’t. I’m happy to admit it :unamused: :laughing: and I’ll stand corrected if you do it and pass first time (I hope you do :wink: ) . It’s all down to you and how you feel about it. Only you can decide that. Have an assesment drive with someone and see how you and they feel about it, then think about how you’d like to do it.

JayHoe, Convoy, good luck and let us know, ok :wink: .

Liberace how did you do your training for class 1 and 2 ?
I have seen an intensive course with 7 hours a day for
5 days and then I have seen 4 hours over 5 days. I
wonder what the normal training hours are per day :question:

Hi dsk19s.

How easy is it? Well it depends on how good a driver you are. :wink:

Some people can do it, others can’t. The company I took my Cat.C with trains 2 people at a time, and the guy I was learning with just simply “didn’t have it”. He was on his 8th course (3rd with the company I was using), and he still failed. He simply didn’t have the ability, as he was still making basic mistakes.

That said, I think most people can do it. It’s not that difficult, you just have to remember to steer with the mirrors (don’t steer until the view in the mirrors says it’s OK), and execute every junction at about a quarter of the speed you’d expect to do it in a car… :slight_smile:

I actually found that doing an intensive course worked well for me, as I needed that little bit more pressure to keep me focused on what I was doing. I was in a very similar position as you as I had no previous 7.5ton work due to my licence. As a few other people have said the brakes will take a bit to get used to but for me it was the width of the truck that coursed most of the problems.

Also watch for those curbs as they have a nasty habit of jumping out on you for no apparent reason.

i think in all honesty that to learn to drive a rigid and then pass your test is a dodle if and it’s a big IF your the type of person who can control their nerves on the day,when i did mine there was a couple of lads coming back for a retest and you just instantly new neither was gona pass on the day,both were a bag of nerves,if you can get your self into the frame of mind where you think your good and your gona show the examiner just how good then your half way there,it’s not rocket science after all.

convoy:

Liberace:
5 days and then I have seen 4 hours over 5 days. I
wonder what the normal training hours are per day :question:

In my opinion, it’s whatever works for you :wink: . I did a couple of hours a day on a Saturday in the end with a couple of days worth before the test. That way worked well for me. The learning curve was shallower this way :wink: :sunglasses: .